5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TSB 18-008-20 throttle lag

Tomamsco

Reaction score
If you find a good dealer service department do whatever it takes to keep them on your side. My dealer will jump through hoops to make sure my truck is 100% the way it is meant to be. Anytime I have an issue they’ll show me the star case or tsb related to the issue on their computer.

The kicker is that I didn’t buy my truck from this dealer, they just have a very good service record and customer satisfaction is through the roof.
Someone please tell me what a “star case“ and “tsb” are.......

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Star case is the dealer putting in a I don't know ticket to the engineers/experts/corporate. The advise how to procede, either for something new, or for some procedure the tech is unclear about.

TSB are technical service bulletins. They are known defects/issues and the fix, but not deemed necessary to do a formal recall. They are however reported to the Govt and are free under warranty, and actionable under warranty for lemon law issues too. Particularly if you brought up said issue while under warranty and dealer blew you off with the usual could not replicate BS. TSB gives you firm leverage that manufacturer knew of the issue, so a dealer or tech not properly investigating and fixing it is grounds for a case.

Synergy26

Reaction score
I thought for a month it had fixed the turbo lag but this week maybe because it is warmer it's back and bad again. Almost got hit today trying to pull into traffic and the truck wouldn't go. It's unsafe.
To top it off the shifting seems a little off now and when put into drive or reverse from park there is a thud.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought for a month it had fixed the turbo lag but this week maybe because it is warmer it's back and bad again. Almost got hit today trying to pull into traffic and the truck wouldn't go. It's unsafe.
To top it off the shifting seems a little off now and when put into drive or reverse from park there is a thud.
I very rarely get the throttle lag anymore after the update, but when I do it is for that entire key cycle. The next time I start the truck up it’s magically gone and as responsive as I’d think it should be.

It only happens for me at a dead stop, move your foot from the brake to gas..... push a bit harder then the truck takes off cause your nearly flooring it before the engine responds to the pedal input.

mia389

Reaction score
I also get this thud after the update. The best way to describe it is it feels like the engine stopped for a second then turned back on. Kind of like one of them cars/trucks that shuts off at a stop then turns back on, only my truck doesn't shut off just has that same feeling but just for a split second. Only had it at slow speeds so far but when it happens pulling an 8500 TT it really sucks.

I'm actually going to a different dealer tomorrow and I'm getting rid of this dam thing. I'm about to lose my *** I'm sure, but I should of just bought a Cummins in the first place.

Im going to miss my longhorns multi func. tailgate but I absolutely love the HD. I didn't lose my **** *** at all.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_5705.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5705.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

D-dub

Reaction score
I took my 11/19 2020 model year truck to my dealer on Friday and told them about the driveability issue and told them about the TSB 18-008-20. The service writer couldn't find it then I said try 18-008-21. They found it. I assume that the old TSB must not stay in the system when a revised one comes out. So the diesel tech flashed the ECM. Seems that the lag is now gone. I drove it quite a bit up in Midland Michigan for the past few days. This TSB seems to fix the problem. So if you go to your dealer for it, you want 18-008-21 TSB.
IMG_20210704_112424__01.jpg

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
I had the update down three months ago, the lag is back, I almost got t boned by a UPS truck the other day because I went to punch it to get out of my driveway so I wouldn't get behind him and it took my truck a good solid 4 secs to move.

Dadeoo

Reaction score
And here goes. Went out and once again truck wouldn’t start with remote start. Video’d the whole thing. Again. Drove to dealer. Got my OC done. Showed them the video of this morning. Mentioned the TSB for the PCM update for the truck in which this is one of the issues. Brake chirp.
Hour later - OC done. Chirp fixed with grease brake pad clips.

And they couldn’t replicate the remote start issue. I said of course you can’t. It’s warmed up and inside now. The videos apparently mean jack **** and they won’t do **** unless they can replicate it is the summary of the argument I had.

Service manager was as helpful as a snowbank. Blah blah blah blah BS BS BS. Showed the video. “That’s not supposed to happen” is the answer. Leave it overnight with us is the solution - not when it’s my only vehicle. Maybe I’ll hitchhike home....

And the PCM TSB from Dec 09 2020 - they’ve never heard of it. It’s like the super secret TSB or something. So I showed them. Where did you get that? who sent it to you? Doesn’t apply to your 2020 Ram ED blah blah blah. I said well if you read right here at the top says it here - “3rd gen diesel with 8 Speed transmission” DT Ram 1500. The scanner would have showed us. More BS. More excuses.

400 Ram in Barrie where digital evidence means nothing and customers are stupid.
Lmfao. Unfortunately I was warned about the service here and I still bought from them.

Small issue but easily fixable - and NOPE.
I see a battle (or a small limited skirmish) brewing.
On the good side - fresh oil / filter(Rotella T6 is what they used?) for free.
Time to bite the bullet and take it to another dealer. Which is probably a major hassle if, like me, you live in rural area...

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the update down three months ago, the lag is back, I almost got t boned by a UPS truck the other day because I went to punch it to get out of my driveway so I wouldn't get behind him and it took my truck a good solid 4 secs to move.

Yeah, like we've discussed many times, when they reflash the onboard computers it resets all the learned adaptives. So, it WILL drive differently as soon as you leave the dealership, but over time it goes right back to where it was before. That's why so many guys think this update is the cure for the horrible driveability on these trucks, but it's not.

The strange thing is I've driven two Jeep pickups with the same engine/trans and neither one of them have any lag or delay whatsoever, nor do they have the dead pedal at random times when taking off from a red light or making a left hand turn across traffic. The Jeep feels extremely responsive and also feels faster and more powerful, despite being rated 38 lb/ft lower and having nearly the same vehicle curb weight. I really wish the Jeep and Ram guys would share notes.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Yeah, like we've discussed many times, when they reflash the onboard computers it resets all the learned adaptives. So, it WILL drive differently as soon as you leave the dealership, but over time it goes right back to where it was before. That's why so many guys think this update is the cure for the horrible driveability on these trucks, but it's not.

The strange thing is I've driven two Jeep pickups with the same engine/trans and neither one of them have any lag or delay whatsoever, nor do they have the dead pedal at random times when taking off from a red light or making a left hand turn across traffic. The Jeep feels extremely responsive and also feels faster and more powerful, despite being rated 38 lb/ft lower and having nearly the same vehicle curb weight. I really wish the Jeep and Ram guys would share notes.
I'm starting to think they have to have different tuning available for these rigs, how are some having 0 lag and others like mine will dog down when you punch it.
Also how are some trucks with similar trim packages and options to others performing better in fuel mileage?

D-dub

Reaction score
I'll revisit this in a month or so with the results to this TSB and see if it reverts back to it's old ways. So far it's been alright.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I've put 7-8 thousand km on my ram and the throttle response is still much better after the TSB.

I have over 30,000km on my ram in less than a year so I know what the old tune felt like.

Users who are viewing this thread