5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to use AlphaOBD to read Radio PIN code (to program new key fob)

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
Hi - I've used AlphaOBD and am using an ODBLinkMX+

AlphaOBD is connected to the ODBLink, I can select the model, select feature (radio frequency hub), select the procedure to start (read pin) but then it just coming back to "no data / can not read ECU" or something similar worded.

I am pulling OBD data - tested this by using the actual ODB app on the same tabled I'm using AlphaOBD on - and I can also see some data when connected with AlphaOBD as well - so this seemed like a super easy thing to do but clearly I'm missing something. I have tried this with the truck running, truck with ACC only, radio on, radio off, etc.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Only the dealer can program a key fob.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can't program our own keyfons on the 5th gen Rams.

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
Thank you - I'm not programming the key fob, someone else who can program it, that is not a dealer, can. Just need the 4 digit PIN., which I can get at a dealer but was trying to avoid the drive...

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you - I'm not programming the key fob, someone else who can program it, that is not a dealer, can. Just need the 4 digit PIN., which I can get at a dealer but was trying to avoid the drive...
The pin is a rolling code, I'm surprised dealers will just give them up

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
There is a rolling code, and a fixed 4 digit PIN. Just an FYI. Anyway thanks for reading, must be fate telling me "visit your local dealer".

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a rolling code, and a fixed 4 digit PIN. Just an FYI. Anyway thanks for reading, must be fate telling me "visit your local dealer".
The pin to program your key is rolling. Dealers are allowed so many key code requests per day.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I saw somewhere a thread that you can pull the PIN via alfa. I don't think it was here, maybe youtube?

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
I saw somewhere a thread that you can pull the PIN via alfa. I don't think it was here, maybe youtube?
Yea that's what I'm trying to do - but following the steps keeps coming back with not reading ECU. Oh well on to the next project I guess.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yea that's what I'm trying to do - but following the steps keeps coming back with not reading ECU. Oh well on to the next project I guess.
The PIN can’t be read on the 5th gens because it’s not static. Either the dealer has to do it while connected and ready to program the fob, or a locksmith has to buy a token to get their device connected to the server to get the PIN and program the fob.

RCNC

Reaction score
Lock smith or auto shop can pull code if they have a decent scan tool. I pulled the code for my gf’s 19 grand Cherokee with an autel im608 pro

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lock smith or auto shop can pull code if they have a decent scan tool. I pulled the code for my gf’s 19 grand Cherokee with an autel im608 pro
What code will you pull?

Noid

Reaction score
A locksmith can do it. I bought a key fob from amazon and the local locksmith has a special tool that will program the truck to the key fob.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

fdoriossjr

Reaction score
Good day to all, today I was trying to program a key on my 2021 Ram 2500 with Alfaobd got my bypass cable, obdmx +.
Dodge / Ram
Ram 2500 (DJ/DR)
Radio Frequency Hub (RFH)
Radio Frequency Hub My2013 + PowerNet

Connect

Select Procedure to Start

Read Pin (Start)

The problem is that it tells me that it is not supported 5 pin digits.

If I go to a dealer and get my 5 Digits can i program the Key.

If someone know when Alfa obd will update to get the 5 digits.

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/