5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to Decide...

Awood05

Reaction score
I just got into a 2020 Ram 1500 Sport. The utility (RamBox + Multi Tailgate) sold me vs my 2018 Ford F-150 3.5L EcoBoost. It gets comparable mileage and transmission is way smoother if you aren’t a peddle masher. To each their own. Merry Christmas and happy holidays
There were several things wrong with both my 18 Raptor and 20 Explorer ST, but one of the biggest issues I had was the 10-speed transmission. It’s all fine and dandy for the first week or so, but after that it starts a steady downhill decline. Got very very frustrating. The 8-speed with eTorque in my 2021 RAM is way smoother.....even with the MDS system.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was forced into the truck market early last year after an accident (not my fault) that totaled my Ford F-250. Since I was a life-long Ford guy I made a beeline for my Ford dealership to check out the new Ford trucks. Decided I no longer needed a heavy duty truck so was looking at 1/2 tons.

Sure the performance in the F-150 EB is great but the rest of the truck was uninspiring to me. There was no personality to it like the Ford trucks I had owned.

The only other possibilities were Toyota and RAM (for personal reasons I will not own a Nissan or GM product).

Toyota was more expensive for less truck and seemed like it needed to be updated. Plus the salespeople were very derogatory about anything but a Toyota and seemed upset with me when I even mentioned that the Tundra was overpriced compared to other brands with similar features.

Last stop was RAM. I liked the styling of the DS 'Classic' but did not find the interior comfortable at all for me. Then I sat in an "all-new" DT RAM and loved it. Drove it and loved it more.

Sure the EB will beat me to the next stoplight but that's not on my list of "must-haves". The 5.7L has more than enough juice to get me up to speed and sounds good doing it.

Some other things that were a deciding factor for me were the shift knob on the dash (more center console room) and the coil spring rear (with multi-link) which rides so much nicer than leaf springs (no more axle wrap!).

I don't miss a turbo. Now I can get to where I'm going, turn off the truck, and get out without having to deal with turbo cool-down or exhaust gas temperatures.

Last edited:

Rammin BtoS AF

Reaction score
Turbo V6 engines are great...but I wouldn't want one in a truck personally. RAM was my choice over 2020 F150. Although their FX4 package is great... I'm not spending an extra $4k just to get a V8...crazy. plus with my Hemi Etorque...I'm getting slightly better gas mileage over a 3.5 Ecoboost.
What are you getting for gas mileage?

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If I'm not going up an incline I'll get 23-24mpg at 65mph. We had a whole mpg thread going where I actually posted the photos showing me driving on highway with a 26mpg average at 62mph. Difficult to drive that slow though lol
Difficult to drive that fast in NYC metro area. lol

Rammin BtoS AF

Reaction score
If I'm not going up an incline I'll get 23-24mpg at 65mph. We had a whole mpg thread going where I actually posted the photos showing me driving on highway with a 26mpg average at 62mph. Difficult to drive that slow though lol
I do travel to Vegas regularly, If I get 22 without the Etorque around Phoenix I feel that would be good. Heck anything over 20 would be great.

RMTaylor1956

Reaction score
Get the RAM, definitely the RAM! The comfort in the cab just blows any other truck in todays market out of the water in my opinion. Having had a V6 in a full size truck I much prefer the V8's hands down. It's what makes you happy in the end that is most important. If you decide on the Ford, to me, that's like going to dinner with family in a world class steak house and ordering chicken noodle soup and a glass of water, while the rest of us are having steak, baked potatoes, and a couple of Jameson's for good measure. But, that's just me. Of all the trucks I've had, this RAM is my favorite no question.
Our new Ram is the most comfortable and quite vehicle we that have ever owned. Period!!

RMTaylor1956

Reaction score
There were several things wrong with both my 18 Raptor and 20 Explorer ST, but one of the biggest issues I had was the 10-speed transmission. It’s all fine and dandy for the first week or so, but after that it starts a steady downhill decline. Got very very frustrating. The 8-speed with eTorque in my 2021 RAM is way smoother.....even with the MDS system.
Consumer Report listed the Ram 8 speed transmission as one of the "Pro" items in their report.

VdMer

Reaction score
I think a Pedal Commander would solve most of the off-the-line feelings. I had a '16 3.5 EcoBoost. It was snappy for sure, but tin can jittery too. I feel the Ram is planted and smooth thru the gear ranges. With the PC, it comes alive. If you're compelled, I would not get a '20 F150 and wait. Take a look at the '21 F150 interiors - they are improved, but frankly I still don't see them on par -- and I am not partial here. Ford will have to seriously up-level and not just hit par for me to consider going back -- and fix the many problems I and thousands of others suffered from. I would stick with the Ram.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think a Pedal Commander would solve most of the off-the-line feelings. I had a '16 3.5 EcoBoost. It was snappy for sure, but tin can jittery too. I feel the Ram is planted and smooth thru the gear ranges. With the PC, it comes alive. If you're compelled, I would not get a '20 F150 and wait. Take a look at the '21 F150 interiors - they are improved, but frankly I still don't see them on par -- and I am not partial here. Ford will have to seriously up-level and not just hit par for me to consider going back -- and fix the many problems I and thousands of others suffered from. I would stick with the Ram.
Definitely, I have a JMS PedalMax...same concept as the PC but with an analog control knob.

Rammin BtoS AF

Reaction score
Lol. I've gone 90 on the 40 with the all season tires, but I got nervous as hell riding on the A/T tires going past 80.
Why does 90 make you nervous on A/T tires? Most are rated at 102 or 105 I thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online