5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRX trim levels speculation thread

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The TRX is full-time AWD so I'm also curious if the TRX will have a gear driven transfer case or a clutch based one. I've already found the limit of the clutch based TC on my Laramie while off-roading. I'm holding off on upgrading to the Power Wagon to see the full TRX specs.

It's interesting because the Raptor has 4-Auto... so there's a need to match spec for spec. Also, any transfer case that lets you engage or disengage 4WD while moving needs some kind of clutch pack, right? The question is when you select 4Hi for example, does the clutch allow slip and if so, how much? I think putting a truck like the Raptor or the TRX in 4-Auto and then taking off road would be problematic... the clutches constantly engaging and disengaging as the truck loses and finds grip + the big power figures.

If they need to go to the HD version of the ZF trans, it's probably because of towing or something more mundane like that. No one is towing with a Trackhawk... but people will with a TRX or a 6.4 powered Rebel.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm still betting on a ~$60k TRX without the hellcat engine (think scatpack). It will complete against the base model Raptor that starts at $55k. Then you will the "TRX Supercharged" at ~$75k that would go against a fully loaded Raptor.

The TRX is full-time AWD so I'm also curious if the TRX will have a gear driven transfer case or a clutch based one. I've already found the limit of the clutch based TC on my Laramie while off-roading. I'm holding off on upgrading to the Power Wagon to see the full TRX specs.

As for the transmission discussion:
The outsourced ZF8 trans in our trucks can easily be made to handle the extra TQ and weight of the 6.4. I haven't looked, but I'm sure they already use it in the 800hp hellcat variants. It's probably the most used trans in the world right now. They do minor hardware and software changes to them depending on the application. In my last car I increased the TQ to +30% over stock and the zf8 handled it fine. Beat the crap out of it on the track too.

That makes sense, the talk is a 5.2L Coyote supercharged making over 700 hp in the new Raptor, though they may not get rid of the 3.5L Ecoboost with 450 hp. Maybe they will also do a base with 3.5L and V8 supercharged top model. If so, the non-HC engine would make sense. A 6.4 SRT in the 480 range would fit in nicely.

As for the transfer case, Ford's 4 auto setting, it uses wet multi-plate clutch, probably at a lot higher spec that what's on your Laramie. I think RAM will likely follow the Raptor route here.

Agreed on the tranny, I personally think they will go with the 8HP95 2nd gen as the likely transmission.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
If it's a similar transfer case that Ram currently uses for 4auto I'm going to probably pass on the TRX and go for a Power Wagon.

I read up on the Raptor TC to see how it does it. It actually uses "two" transfer cases. A clutch based one for 4auto pavement driving and a gear based one for 4HI and 4LO off-road driving. The TRX needs something similar for me to actually take it seriously as a capable truck. I learned my lesson.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
TFL seems to think my OP is a possibility too.

I think Andre read your posts and liked the idea...

It makes sense, and probably will happen... I just don't think it'll happen at launch, but will be timed to when initial orders slow down.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
In the press release about the possibility of an electric RAM...it says the debut of the TRX will be next week

I'm surprised they haven't marketed that date if it's just around the corner. I couldn't find any press release mentioning the TRX debut.

I think Andre read your posts and liked the idea...

It makes sense, and probably will happen... I just don't think it'll happen at launch, but will be timed to when initial orders slow down.

Might be an excuse for me to wait for the 5th gen HD Power Wagons. I think the PW will still be more off-road oriented than the TRX. I have a bad feeling they will use the same TC from the Trackhawk that uses a clutch pack.

Perhaps if they do a TRX "scatpack" it will use a gear driven TC since that engine is about 200 pound lighter than the hellcat 6.2. With the less weight they could spec the drivetrain to be more off road oriented and market it as such.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@AnthonyD1978 I followed the link I saw...it was an article about the press release. I read four different ones. Each one said the same thing but different. One says next week one say 3rd quarter one said August and one said end of summer.

So didn't mean to post a rumor...but I did. The poster said it was in the press release...which it wasn't it was in an article about the press release

I can not believe that the spy guys haven't caught it without camo yet. The camo TRX was caught with the 392 Wrangler. It has to be soon.

976-HIKE

Reaction score
TFL guys are getting out of control with the clickbait. Their recent video shows a thumbnail of a regular 1500 (not even a Rebel) saying IS THIS THE TRX??? when the TRX in the video is under a tarp.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any thoughts on a manual transmission option? I know it’s unlikely.... but there’s a few articles out there thinking it could be an option. Curious if anyone here has seen anything on that. Can’t wait to see the reveal tomorrow

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any thoughts on a manual transmission option? I know it’s unlikely.... but there’s a few articles out there thinking it could be an option. Curious if anyone here has seen anything on that. Can’t wait to see the reveal tomorrow
99.999999% sure no manual. They don't even make a manual Charger HC (even though it's the same basic bones as a Challenger that does have a manual), because they'd have to crash test it again and that costs too much. Since there's no other manual 1500 to base it on, I'd say it's almost impossible they'd do it.

But I'd love to be proven wrong!! We need more manuals!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Considering there are articles claiming the one mule is the TRX without camo...and they didn't even notice the busted up front end...i wouldn't hold my breath on a manual.

With the heavy duty doing away with a manual...i am guessing they are dead to RAM now.

I wish there would be a newfound appreciation of the manual though.

Main reason my V10 5speed will not be leaving my ownership.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Considering there are articles claiming the one mule is the TRX without camo...and they didn't even notice the busted up front end...i wouldn't hold my breath on a manual.

With the heavy duty doing away with a manual...i am guessing they are dead to RAM now.

I wish there would be a newfound appreciation of the manual though.

Main reason my V10 5speed will not be leaving my ownership.
You put a new bed and fenders on that old girl yet?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You put a new bed and fenders on that old girl yet?
No. I am waiting for the TRX aftermarket for 2nd Gens...lol. Supercharge that 488 magnum with some fiberglass fenders. Straight pipes out the side like the concept. Some 37 inch beadlocks and some crazy suspension travel

I did drive it about a month ago...still love how that thing pulls right off idle.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No. I am waiting for the TRX aftermarket for 2nd Gens...lol. Supercharge that 488 magnum with some fiberglass fenders. Straight pipes out the side like the concept. Some 37 inch beadlocks and some crazy suspension travel

I did drive it about a month ago...still love how that thing pulls right off idle.
A call to Whipple may be in order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/