5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRX trim levels speculation thread

Downytide

Reaction score
Im pretty sure the Power Wagon is both now. My brother picked up a 2500 Tradesman with the Power Wagon package for a lot less than the actual Power Wagon at the dealership. The suspension/drivetrain etc is the same but the rest of the truck is tradesman trim. While the Power Wagon has its own interior, bumper, grille, it says Power Wagon on the splash screen etc.

Power wagon has always being considered as an optional package, but also as a trim.

Package = 12A, ORP etc
Trim = Laramie, Rebel, Limited.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea I have a feeling we will get a more street oriented version for 2022, no reason to show two street performance trucks that did 0 off-roading unless they were teasing something. FCA ALWAYS has hidden Easter eggs and future product directions in plain sight

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm concerned about the 6,500 lb curb weight in that if they did release a 392 version of the TRX with "only" 450+ hp, it would be hampered by the extra 800 pounds.

The frame, axle and suspension upgrades are awesome but that weight increase is tough... it needs all 702 of those ponies.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not that anybody buys this thing for fuel mileage... but I’m curious and couldn’t find it listed anywhere. What are they rating this at?

Also found it interesting it’s 3.55 gears with 35” tires.

Downytide

Reaction score
Not that anybody buys this thing for fuel mileage... but I’m curious and couldn’t find it listed anywhere. What are they rating this at?

Also found it interesting it’s 3.55 gears with 35” tires.

EPA or real life?

I've seen single digit with heavy foot city driving , but supposedly should be around 12 city and 17 hwy EPA rating.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Lol, my Rebel barely gets that now with 395 hp. This things is going to be lucky to break into the teens in the real world.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
EPA or real life?

I've seen single digit with heavy foot city driving , but supposedly should be around 12 city and 17 hwy EPA rating.

With the 700hp supercharged 6.2 TRX. They’re saying 12/17?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's a muscle truck, its actually a pretty fast growing segments, folks who buy these tend to already have multiple cars.

It's based off the Trackhawk unit, I don't know enough about them to tell you what it's used in it.

No, Powerwagon is consider an optional "Package", TRX is considered as a separate model, there had been testing of non S/C engines, but chances are low that the 6.4L will be in it, demand is low and improvement of performance over the 5.7L is minimal.
I do not disagree with you. But it is the RAM 2500 Powerwagon. Just like it is the RAM 1500 TRX.

And I think you missed my point, but that is ok.

At one time the Rebel was to become a sub brand and that changed.

Just glad it finally made it to production.

Downytide

Reaction score
With the 700hp supercharged 6.2 TRX. They’re saying 12/17?

EPA, which we know can be very different from real life.

I do not disagree with you. But it is the RAM 2500 Powerwagon. Just like it is the RAM 1500 TRX.

And I think you missed my point, but that is ok.

At one time the Rebel was to become a sub brand and that changed.

Just glad it finally made it to production.

Yes depend which way you view it, Rebel was suppose be a Trim, then they had idea of becoming its own model line, thus more trims (Ecodiesel suppose be a trim too, not just an engine option), but marketing decided it'll confuse people, and market study shows folks who are willing to paid the extras want more distinction more or less show they paid the money for the top of line, so they took Hellcat route, so now TRX becomes top of line offroad version that may show up on other models, how will that play out, I'm not sure, I know there's a new Dakota, which may be called something else at launch, and it may have a TRX model with the new 3.0L inline 6,.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
EPA or real life?

EPA, which we know can be very different from real life.

Yes depend which way you view it, Rebel was suppose be a Trim, then they had idea of becoming its own model line, thus more trims (Ecodiesel suppose be a trim too, not just an engine option), but marketing decided it'll confuse people, and market study shows folks who are willing to paid the extras want more distinction more or less show they paid the money for the top of line, so they took Hellcat route, so now TRX becomes top of line offroad version that may show up on other models, how will that play out, I'm not sure, I know there's a new Dakota, which may be called something else at launch, and it may have a TRX model with the new 3.0L inline 6,.
one thing worth noting might be that there's no gas guzzler tax listed on the build page for the TRX. I know the scat pack manual trans challenger has a gas guzzler tax. Not sure if that's any indication of what the MPG rating is

Downytide

Reaction score
one thing worth noting might be that there's no gas guzzler tax listed on the build page for the TRX. I know the scat pack manual trans challenger has a gas guzzler tax. Not sure if that's any indication of what the MPG rating is

I don't think gas guzzler tax covers pick up trucks, I believe only passenger vehicles, I may be wrong.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

Likely the weight and classification of a truck is why it doesn't have a gas guzzler tax.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Likely the weight and classification of a truck is why it doesn't have a gas guzzler tax.

My opinion: As Ram added the 35in tires, the suspension components, the spare 35in tire, then the hellcat engine, they realized they probably had like 400lbs of payload left, without options. Now add in the larger bodywork around the tires. They had one heavy, heavy truck.
Add in the huge HD axle.
They also had a big honkin truck flying up and down the dunes, way heavier than ford's aluminum body - and now needed a beefier frame. Now you need beefier brakes to stop the damn thing and restrain the 700hp!
The extra weight had a benefit though, it's probably way easier to keep alllll that horsepower on the ground now when used in combination with their 4x4 system. 700hp is no joke.
It's long-ish, it's heavy, it's got a lot of rubber and wide tires on the ground, it's wide too. There's a bunch of things working together to make that horsepower manageable. It's also turning those wide 35in tires.

I suspect Ford has walked away from "This 3.5 ecoboost in high output trim is allll the engine anybody could ever want" strategy and has a V8 ready.
I saw a video of what someone believes is a V8 test mule rumbling away.
I do wonder if they will be able to get 700hp out of that engine, and how they get it to the ground. I'm thinking they will use the "Torque management" software strategy, and end up with a competitive 0-60 number due to how light the truck is, vs the raw brute force of the 700hp hellcat.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
My opinion: As Ram added the 35in tires, the suspension components, the spare 35in tire, then the hellcat engine, they realized they probably had like 400lbs of payload left, without options. Now add in the larger bodywork around the tires. They had one heavy, heavy truck.
Add in the huge HD axle.
They also had a big honkin truck flying up and down the dunes, way heavier than ford's aluminum body - and now needed a beefier frame. Now you need beefier brakes to stop the damn thing and restrain the 700hp!
The extra weight had a benefit though, it's probably way easier to keep alllll that horsepower on the ground now when used in combination with their 4x4 system. 700hp is no joke.
It's long-ish, it's heavy, it's got a lot of rubber and wide tires on the ground, it's wide too. There's a bunch of things working together to make that horsepower manageable. It's also turning those wide 35in tires.

I suspect Ford has walked away from "This 3.5 ecoboost in high output trim is allll the engine anybody could ever want" strategy and has a V8 ready.
I saw a video of what someone believes is a V8 test mule rumbling away.
I do wonder if they will be able to get 700hp out of that engine, and how they get it to the ground. I'm thinking they will use the "Torque management" software strategy, and end up with a competitive 0-60 number due to how light the truck is, vs the raw brute force of the 700hp hellcat.

Yup, all makes sense to me. As for the Raptor, the rumor is the 3.5L TT will stay as the base engine and keep the price down, however a 5.2L Supercharged V8 out of the GT500, which has 760 hp / 625 lb-ft of torque will be the go to engine to take on the TRX. They will of course tune it down for truck duty, but probably still over 700 hp.

The question will be the tranny, I'm not sure if they have a 10-speed capable of handling that motor, not sure if they could use the dual clutch 7-speed that is in the GT500. I'm assuming they will keep the similar 4-wheel drive system they have now, just beefed up to handle the increased power.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup, all makes sense to me. As for the Raptor, the rumor is the 3.5L TT will stay as the base engine and keep the price down, however a 5.2L Supercharged V8 out of the GT500, which has 760 hp / 625 lb-ft of torque will be the go to engine to take on the TRX. They will of course tune it down for truck duty, but probably still over 700 hp.

The question will be the tranny, I'm not sure if they have a 10-speed capable of handling that motor, not sure if they could use the dual clutch 7-speed that is in the GT500. I'm assuming they will keep the similar 4-wheel drive system they have now, just beefed up to handle the increased power.

Interesting. I'm going to guess out of the Raptor it will make 715ish, I base that on: They have to be higher than the TRX to be competitive. They're going second, they've gotta do it.

The raptor is not that heavy, aluminum body, lightweight engine and all. And the payloads are not exactly high
And despite the extra beef added to the TRX, they still needed a fulltime/auto 4x4 system to keep the power to the ground.
I'm thinking they needed both.

I wonder if the 2021 raptor's got added beef as well, pretty much for traction purposes? My guess is no.
My speculation is that they use the "torque management" they have on the powerstroke diesels with the obscene torque, basically to prevent the tires from spinning like crazy on launch, with the full power of the engine becoming available at speed.

But I think they will be about as fast 0 - 60 due to the raptor's lighter weight.

One thing is for sure, yet again the demise of the V8 is greatly exaggerated.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Interesting. I'm going to guess out of the Raptor it will make 715ish, I base that on: They have to be higher than the TRX to be competitive. They're going second, they've gotta do it.

The raptor is not that heavy, aluminum body, lightweight engine and all. And the payloads are not exactly high
And despite the extra beef added to the TRX, they still needed a fulltime/auto 4x4 system to keep the power to the ground.
I'm thinking they needed both.

I wonder if the 2021 raptor's got added beef as well, pretty much for traction purposes? My guess is no.
My speculation is that they use the "torque management" they have on the powerstroke diesels with the obscene torque, basically to prevent the tires from spinning like crazy on launch, with the full power of the engine becoming available at speed.

But I think they will be about as fast 0 - 60 due to the raptor's lighter weight.

One thing is for sure, yet again the demise of the V8 is greatly exaggerated.

My only concern is the high weight of the TRX and how that power is kinda wrapped up a bit with that. The 0-60 of a Raptor is about 5.5 sec & 13.8 sec quarter. The TRX only shaves 1 sec off the 0-60 and .9 sec off the quarter even though it has much more power. However, it's supposed to be able to handle jumps repeatedly that maybe the Raptor can't handle.

But this is all conjecture right now, can't wait and see how they do in the real world. Plus having the HC motor has sold a lot of ancient Dodge Chargers & Challengers, it's awesome it's going to be in a modern truck that has studied and (hopefully) improved what the Raptor has done. Though the all-new Raptor is coming out next year and they now see what the TRX has. I bet you there is some meetings going on at SVT right now.

NDanecker

Reaction score
Watch a video of the Raptor and TRX hitting the bumps and you can see how much better the TRX is composed over the bumps. RAM did an awesome job with this one especially the upgraded axles, suspension, and frame redesigns. Not just a shoe-horned hellcat motor in the 1500. Its technically a different vehicle mechanically but with the RAM 5th interior/body bolted on top.

I am curious what these will settle too after the initial hording. Hope they sell 10 or 15% off sticker in a year or so. I may just bite. :)

As for a redeye or demon version - not going to happen. No reason to in my opinion unless Ford pulls something out of thin air to beat RAM with hp/tq/acceleration specs. The after market will have enough to custom tune these trucks. Besides - these trucks with offroad tires will always be limited to 120 mph or so unless the laws of physics change in the tire design room.

NOW - if they ever build a road / street version than YES - I see a redeye or demon-lite version happening. Not offroad though.

Downytide

Reaction score

I believe IRS determine what get charged gas guzzler.

The 10spd is stout, it can handle the power, next gen will have 3.5tt then see how it goes.

For folks who want to hear exhaust sound without voice overs or dramatic music as if it will save the planet, use this link.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In general, I'm impressed with the truck. It was a high bar and high expectations... and I think they may have delivered, and then some. If I had the money to spend, there's no question which (Raptor v TRX) truck I'd buy.

The 10-year old boy me wants one baaaaad!

Users who are viewing this thread