5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRX trim levels speculation thread

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
I'm betting RAM will offer a "lite" version from the factory. Either with the standard 5.7 or the SRT 6.4. with everything else being standard TRX (body, suspension, drive modes, etc). The ~480hp 6.4 is my bet so that they can one-up the current Raptor. This "lite" version will be the one to compete against the Raptor starting price point of $54k (not including dealer mark-ups). This might actually be called the "Rebel TRX" and have the same badging on truck. This one will let you drive in 2wd as it's normal drive mode (instead of AWD like the TRX). It would also use the standard ZF8 trans and transfer case from the Rebel.

I have a feeling the Hellcat TRX will be ~$70k. The price jump is from the hellcat engine, trans, and transfer case. (similar to the Trackhawk). This trim will be simply called "TRX". Badging will say "TRX" with "Supercharged" underneath it (on tailgate and front doors).

I'm pretty set on either one depending on dealer mark-up. Can't wait to run either one on the open trails here. I'll be saving my winch and rock sliders from my Laramie to swap over to the TRX (y)

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Doubt it. There was supposed to be a 'TR' version with a 426 but the 426 was cancelled. Never heard anything about the 392 going in the 1500, but I'd be all for it! I predict the TRX will be its own unique thing for the first year or so, then bits and pieces will slowly trickle down and become optional on the regular 1500s. Eventually there will be a 'TRX lite' in that all the body mods and suspension will be available on a Bighorn or Laramie as some sort of 'Super ORG', but they won't do it right away. Seems to be how it goes with the other Hellcats. I guess we'll see soon.

kliffy77

Reaction score
Few months back i was servicing my Rebel at the local Ram dealer, Keep in mind I'm out of US, I'm an old customer and a manager approached me and asked me if i want a TRX as they have an allocated number from Ram, I ordered one and he told me there is only one engine option a Supercharged HEMI rated at 717HP, I wish there was a 392 6.4L HEMI option but i don't think so.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Doubt it. There was supposed to be a 'TR' version with a 426 but the 426 was cancelled. Never heard anything about the 392 going in the 1500, but I'd be all for it! I predict the TRX will be its own unique thing for the first year or so, then bits and pieces will slowly trickle down and become optional on the regular 1500s. Eventually there will be a 'TRX lite' in that all the body mods and suspension will be available on a Bighorn or Laramie as some sort of 'Super ORG', but they won't do it right away. Seems to be how it goes with the other Hellcats. I guess we'll see soon.
I think this is close to the mark. The Hellcat will probably be the only engine option available for a while, maybe a full model year depending on sales. They could easily offer the 6.4 Hemi as the Hellcat is derived from the same/similar engine architecture. There's plenty of space under the hood, and the same game is played with Charger/Challengers and Durango/GC's.

I know rumor mill is that FCA is making an inline-6 twin turbo to augment or replace the V-8 lineup (with the Jeep Grand Wagoneer debut). Not sure where that engine is in development but it was necessary for fuel economy/emissions regs. FCA forks over a ton of cash for fines, not hitting the Federal fleet targets... So whatever RAM does emissions will play a part. Would be a lot easier for them if the TRX was a HD truck as the rules are different.

TRX is a halo vehicle, small quantities at least to start. I bet even if MSRP is in the $75K range, the dealer markup, because of rarity, will be high. It will probably be priced closer to the Jeep Track Hawk which pushed $100K.

kliffy77

Reaction score
I am hoping for a 392 powered non off road focused 1500. There isnt much I'd trade my truck in for but that would be one of them.

A 392 Rebel would be a monster and would hit the sweet spot! We’ve seen a 392 Wrangler so lets hope.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, let's look at what just changed.

We were supposed to get a REBEL subbrand.

The concet was the RAM REBEL TRX.

It is now just the RAM TRX.

There is a very high probability we are also getting a street truck...(see Rumble Bee concept...think SRT-10)

Now all that said. Originally the REBEL subbrand was to include our current REBEL and Powerwagon.

Now it looks like the TRX will stand alone, leaving the REBEL AND Powerwagon to get some upgrade themselves.

Possibly a stand alone street truck and a standalone HeavyDuty as well

Mostly speculation, but based in fact.

Wonderful time to be a truck fan.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A 392 Rebel would be a monster and would hit the sweet spot! We’ve seen a 392 Wrangler so lets hope.
What's funny about that is people have been putting 392's in JL Jeeps almost since they hit showrooms. The Lite Brite youtube channel has a whole video of the process in the shop they had it done. One of the mechanics comments on how they've already done a tone of them... and that video is probably a year old.

FCA caught on there was a market opportunity. Plus, that new Bronco sure looks nice... so competitive pressure is heating up.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IIRC... the 8-lug in the back was for the Dana-60 axle that's going to be used. The test mules probably used 60's from Power Wagon's as they were easy to source from the parts bin. The finished product was never going to have 6 and 8 lug hubs on the same truck... either one or the other. 6 makes the most sense I think.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
About that picture... I've noticed this before... are those a new/prototype Goodyear Wrangler? That tread pattern looks different than anything that's currently offered... from what I've seen anyway. Am I wrong?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I love the idea of a TRX Lite. Or maybe better still, make it a Rebel heavy?

The reason is I would like to see the current Rebel model become more of a trim, made available to every model of the 1500 line-up. Similar to what GM has done with the "Trail Boss", which is a trim and not a model. It's available on base & higher spec models. It's why I see a ton of new Trail Bosses in comparison to Rebels. They of course will have to discontent it a little to make it price competitive as a trim instead of it's own model.

Then move up the current Rebel model with an available 6.4L, maybe some of the special features of the TRX, to bridge the gap in price points. So you can get any RAM 1500 with a "Rebel" package, then have a Rebel TR model, then the top TRX model. Something like that.

Downytide

Reaction score
I love the idea of a TRX Lite. Or maybe better still, make it a Rebel heavy?

The reason is I would like to see the current Rebel model become more of a trim, made available to every model of the 1500 line-up. Similar to what GM has done with the "Trail Boss", which is a trim and not a model. It's available on base & higher spec models. It's why I see a ton of new Trail Bosses and hardly any Rebels. They of course will have to discontent it a little to make it price competitive as a trim instead of it's own model.

Then move up the current Rebel model with an available 6.4L, maybe some of the special features of the TRX, to bridge the gap in price points.

FYI, there were mules tested for 6.4, the issue comes from it requires the heavier duty 8HP transmission which is used on the HD trucks, the assembly and the transmission combo was additional couple hundred or even 400 lbs, I don't recall, the costs also became an issue since you essentially end up with one drivetrain uses unique transmission, don't forget is that our HEMI isn't light, the 5.7 is almost 500lbs fully dressed, while the 6.4 I recall was near the 700lbs mark since its iron block.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
FYI, there were mules tested for 6.4, the issue comes from it requires the heavier duty 8HP transmission which is used on the HD trucks, the assembly and the transmission combo was additional couple hundred or even 400 lbs, I don't recall, the costs also became an issue since you essentially end up with one drivetrain uses unique transmission, don't forget is that our HEMI isn't light, the 5.7 is almost 500lbs fully dressed, while the 6.4 I recall was near the 700lbs mark since its iron block.

Hmm, that is interesting and makes sense. The Jeep is getting the 6.4L from the heavy duty or SRT?

Downytide

Reaction score
Hmm, that is interesting and makes sense. The Jeep is getting the 6.4L from the heavy duty or SRT?

Probably SRT, its only a bit lighter, not sure how much lighter it is, and it's probably same 8hp as the Jeep GC, which is lighter as it doesn't have to worry about towing 10k+ lb.

I know the 6.4 and 5.7 has same bellhousing pattern, so you can technically bolt on the 6.4 to the oem transmission and it'll work, mechanically.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
I'm still betting on a ~$60k TRX without the hellcat engine (think scatpack). It will complete against the base model Raptor that starts at $55k. Then you will the "TRX Supercharged" at ~$75k that would go against a fully loaded Raptor.

The TRX is full-time AWD so I'm also curious if the TRX will have a gear driven transfer case or a clutch based one. I've already found the limit of the clutch based TC on my Laramie while off-roading. I'm holding off on upgrading to the Power Wagon to see the full TRX specs.

As for the transmission discussion:
The outsourced ZF8 trans in our trucks can easily be made to handle the extra TQ and weight of the 6.4. I haven't looked, but I'm sure they already use it in the 800hp hellcat variants. It's probably the most used trans in the world right now. They do minor hardware and software changes to them depending on the application. In my last car I increased the TQ to +30% over stock and the zf8 handled it fine. Beat the crap out of it on the track too.

Users who are viewing this thread