5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Evank33

Reaction score
With the TRX and the new 2022 G/T package out, I was curious what it would take to add the console shifter to my 2019 RAM. I have compiled a list of parts minus the wiring and the 4x4 shifter.
Just messing around and the price so far isn't as outrageous as I thought it would be. Might be doable.
I have searched the forum and can't find if anyone has done this yet or if it is even possible to do. Let's see if we can do this.

Attachments

• 2021-ram-1500-trx-shifter.jpg
    2021-ram-1500-trx-shifter.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 609
  • Screenshot_20210721-043203_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210721-043203_Chrome.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 620

Moosefire66

Reaction score
I do like console shifters. My 11 ram had it and I love it. It's nice to hold on to while driving. I think it looks better than a knob too...

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One of things that was a concession ordering my truck. Swapping to the console shifter may be something I'd be interested in doing.

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
I miss that set-up from my 2012 LoneStar as well. The 'push-botton start' and 'dash-mounted gear selector knob' are taking a little bit to get used to. I caught myself on the way home from DFW [when I picked up my '21] trying to shift the tall Monster Ultra in the left-side cup holder into reverse when I missed an on-ramp and had to make a U-turn. I was on the phone with my pal Dave (Mongo228) and we were laughing over that along with noting that Nav sounded kind of pissed when I missed the ramp. Good times!

Good luck with the swap - it's going to be awesome, I can feel it. (y)

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I like doing these kinds of upgrades, but I'm on the fence about whether or not I'd want to do it. I think I might miss the storage in the center console that I'd be losing by moving the shifter down there. I'd also want to add the paddle shifters if I did this, but have no idea what would be involved in that. Definitely keeping an eye on this thread though to see if anyone makes progress on it.

bocco

Reaction score
I also hate my shift knob. I'm just not sure if I hate it enough to spend over $1K.

Would also need the piece to cover where the shift knob was.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
So when they put this in the trx what’d they do with the monster storage they blocked off? Leave a big empty space you can’t access?

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
The TRX uses a different version of the 8-speed transmission than us normals, so I wouldn’t be surprised if all those parts don’t actually match up to our transmissions.

Ours are the 8HP75, TRX is the 8HP95. However, truthfully, I don’t know if the differences are purely internals, or if the casing has changes too.

Olive Green 5.7

Reaction score
The TRX uses a different version of the 8-speed transmission than us normals, so I wouldn’t be surprised if all those parts don’t actually match up to our transmissions.

Ours are the 8HP75, TRX is the 8HP95. However, truthfully, I don’t know if the differences are purely internals, or if the casing has changes too.

You're correct. But, we share the same transmission as the GT, which also uses the console shifter.

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
I was poking around, and I can’t find the transmission model listed on most of the presser stuff i’m seeing about the G/T. Have they confirmed this somewhere? Everything I’m seeing is that it’s just ‘got the console shifter and shifter paddles from the TRX’, while referencing it’s an 8-speed torqueflite or whatever. If it’s truly the same transmission we have, that would be nice.

dannymcd

Reaction score
I don't mind the dial at all. it's the weirdest thing at first, you know, not having a shifter to stroke while driving, but it clears up so much space it's grown on me, and the fact that it spins itself into park when you turn the engine off is great. the thing that i want are those paddle shifters, the TQ curve is different with a S/C and it would be nice to force a shift at optimal jerk rpm.

cornelius967

Reaction score
For this thread to make more sense it should be "G/T Shifter Swap" as most of us will be considering swapping in the G/T shifter that works with the 8HP75 transmission found in many of the 1500 trucks.

I've been looking to trade my '21 Bighorn 4x4 Off-Road for a 2022 G/T just to get away from the rotary shifter (although now that we know how smooth the DT RAM rides, the wife wants heated and ventilated seats which come with the G/T). The G/T that I configured is about $12K more than the Bighorn that I already own, so spending $1,500 to $2,000 to swap in the G/T shifter (and get the RAM Air intake) would be a reasonable expenditure to me.

Swicago

Reaction score
Personally I like the rotary knob, as it automatically shifts to P when I shut the motor off. A shifter can't do that.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
Personally I like the rotary knob, as it automatically shifts to P when I shut the motor off. A shifter can't do that.
I agree.... I like the looks of the console shifter but I like the functionality of the knob better. I can't believe how many times I forget to put it into park :)

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree.... I like the looks of the console shifter but I like the functionality of the knob better. I can't believe how many times I forget to put it into park :)
But where do you rest your right hand when you're driving??? Without a shift knob, my hand would just be meandering aimlessly in the center of the cab.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That guy did it in a 4th gen, not the 5th gen.
yes. He went From knob to shifter; changed shift type in bcm. Simple sharing to show that a transmission swap from a gt / trx is not necessary to change shifter type, and gain auto stick function

Users who are viewing this thread