5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRX and Raptor side by side photo

Awood05

Reaction score
Why is that? I only hear good stuff about them...
I could probably take up a whole thread page listing and describing all the issues. I’ll hit the highlights though if you really want to know.

Transmission issues
Turbo issues
Cam Phaser Issues
Electrical Issues
Drivetrain Issues

Most of the issues I tried to get resolved, but never got a satisfactory resolution. Some of them I didn’t even try because many others had and the problem either wasn’t fixed, because Ford didn’t have a solution, or their trucks were worse off after the service work.

Just an all around disappointing experience.....

I thought that I might have had a lemon several months after I traded it in, so I went and test drove a brand new one.....similar behaviors on the test drive. Decided I wasn’t going to risk another go at it, especially not for the price. Got the RAM a few months later.

Attachments

• 4BF74F22-1F46-4A18-9117-E5CC1812A198.jpeg
    4BF74F22-1F46-4A18-9117-E5CC1812A198.jpeg
    222 KB · Views: 92

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I could probably take up a whole thread page listing and describing all the issues. I’ll hit the highlights though if you really want to know.

Transmission issues
Turbo issues
Cam Phaser Issues
Electrical Issues
Drivetrain Issues

Most of the issues I tried to get resolved, but never got a satisfactory resolution. Some of them I didn’t even try because many others had and the problem either wasn’t fixed, because Ford didn’t have a solution, or their trucks were worse off after the service work.

Just an all around disappointing experience.....

I thought that I might have had a lemon several months after I traded it in, so I went and test drove a brand new one.....similar behaviors on the test drive. Decided I wasn’t going to risk another go at it, especially not for the price. Got the RAM a few months later.
How has your Ram been for you?
I don't put many miles on my Ram (~4k miles - I have an econocar for commuting), but the Ram is just shy of a year old now, and it's never once been back to the dealer. Super-impressive build quality and quality of materials. I hope you have as nice an experience with your Ram as I've had with mine so far.

Awood05

Reaction score
How has your Ram been for you?
I don't put many miles on my Ram (~4k miles - I have an econocar for commuting), but the Ram is just shy of a year old now, and it's never once been back to the dealer. Super-impressive build quality and quality of materials. I hope you have as nice an experience with your Ram as I've had with mine so far.
So far it is wonderful. (Knock on wood) Only had it a couple months and put just over 2,200 miles on it. I’m loving every bit of it. Interior, ride, nothing can compete.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So...if I’m reading this right, Ram has a whole year to select an even more beastly motor from it he shelf and add 37s to the option list...
Imagine the PR guys waiting to hit the next Facebook video...the redeye one...only to find out they could make another one for another time.

These RAM drivers get all the fun. @Jared B and @redriderbob are experiencing the smiles for miles right now.

And they already set up for 37s. Not sure were the new news came from that they are not. They advertise the tire mount for 37.

And the youtube genius shows how even more awesome it is with 4 foot tall mud boggers

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Imagine the PR guys waiting to hit the next Facebook video...the redeye one...only to find out they could make another one for another time.

These RAM drivers get all the fun. @Jared B and @redriderbob are experiencing the smiles for miles right now.

And they already set up for 37s. Not sure were the new news came from that they are not. They advertise the tire mount for 37.

And the youtube genius shows how even more awesome it is with 4 foot tall mud boggers

Jared has his tester this week, I will have mine in March. Wait till you see the videos Jared is doing!

1612437486435.png

Just a little sneak peek...

Jrex

Reaction score
I agree, the late-model Raptors are really great looking trucks. I saw one a few months ago that was kind of a medium-blue with a hint of gunmetal gray - best looking Raptor I've ever seen, and a truly gorgeous truck.
That said, overall I prefer Ram's smooth, muscular look over the Ford's straight lines and angles. To my eye, it's like the F-series is trying soooo hard to look the toughest, they're over-the-top ugly. While Ford thumps its chest and gets all of the attention, the Ram quietly leaves the party with the best-looking girl in the place ;-)
Just my two-cents worth.

Its all personal opinion.

When I see a new Raptor and its kinda like the square F150 rectangle on big wheels. The TRX has a lot more aggressive body lines and hood elevations.

Pictures dont does these any justice, but seeing TRX in person, it just pops out drastically.

I think these are what make the TRX stand out compared to Raptor, and really gives the TRX a really aggressive look:

-4 inch Baja fenders, fairing out 4 inches wider than doors.
-1 inch Baja fender molding, flaring out 5 inches wider than doors.
-6 inch first hood rise, 6 inches taller than fender top.
-2 3/4 inch second hood rise for hood scoop, 8 3/4 inches higher than fender top (9 inches higher).
- 2 inch hood scope opening.
- 7 inch hood scoop rise above front hood height.

Once these items are pointed out, you start to realize the differences. Photos cant replicate the real depth difference and height differences the actual eye can in person. These are dramatic differences on TRX.

1613822634809.png

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had both iterations of the Raptor. 2011 & 2017. I loved my 2011. Something about that 6.2 rumble and ride. The 2017 was quicker. I kept it 2 years but just never really loved it like my 2011, so I traded it in for 2019 Limited Ram. 40,000 miles later (never been to the dealer for warranty work), I’m turning the limited in for a new TRX in a couple weeks. Raptor owners have begged Ford to build a v8 Raptor for a few years now, and it fell on deaf ears. They were the only game in town, and could care less what buyers wanted. Now that Ram shoves a supercharged v8 in their face, Ford finally responds with another v8. But now they are leading from behind. It’s going to be one year before it gets released. For me, that is one year too late, really five years too late. Ford got complacent, now Ram is kicking around in their candy store. Ram dealers can’t keep the TRX on their lots. I can find 200 raptors sitting on lots within a 50 mile radius of my house. Complacency and ignoring customers is why I moved on in the first place. I’m really looking forward to the TRX!!
And while Raptor owners await the new v8, Ford is attempting to appease current buyers with that ridiculous Trombone exhaust, because they know that truck sounds like sh**.

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’ve had both iterations of the Raptor. 2011 & 2017. I loved my 2011. Something about that 6.2 rumble and ride. The 2017 was quicker. I kept it 2 years but just never really loved it like my 2011, so I traded it in for 2019 Limited Ram. 40,000 miles later (never been to the dealer for warranty work), I’m turning the limited in for a new TRX in a couple weeks. Raptor owners have begged Ford to build a v8 Raptor for a few years now, and it fell on deaf ears. They were the only game in town, and could care less what buyers wanted. Now that Ram shoves a supercharged v8 in their face, Ford finally responds with another v8. But now they are leading from behind. It’s going to be one year before it gets released. For me, that is one year too late, really five years too late. Ford got complacent, now Ram is kicking around in their candy store. Ram dealers can’t keep the TRX on their lots. I can find 200 raptors sitting on lots within a 50 mile radius of my house. Complacency and ignoring customers is why I moved on in the first place. I’m really looking forward to the TRX!!
Great points my friend. I am going to wait it out a bit and let the battle begin. I'll keep my 21 Limited until 2023 and see what's going on from a TRX, RAPTOR and electric truck perspective and then make my next choice. This will also allow some kinks in the armor to be worked out.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And while Raptor owners await the new v8, Ford is attempting to appease current buyers with that ridiculous Trombone exhaust, because they know that truck sound like sh**.
Congrats on the upcoming TRX, I'm sure you'll be ecstatic with that truck. I'm actually more thrilled that you've had your 2019 Limited for a couple of years and 40,000 miles and have never had any warranty work done. That's truly great news.(y)

Jrex

Reaction score
Great points my friend. I am going to wait it out a bit and let the battle begin. I'll keep my 21 Limited until 2023 and see what's going on from a TRX, RAPTOR and electric truck perspective and then make my next choice. This will also allow some kinks in the armor to be worked out.

FORD is playing around tying to mod a GT500 motor so it does hyperlock at high RPM's in raptor platform. I assume they will deliver a close HP engine option for a Raptor-R with GT500 engine.

FCA already has an answer already available to purchase. 37" tires and the 1000HP Hellcat Hellaphant, 426- 7.0 liter, aluminum version of the current hellcat engine.

That will end it all. I could not imagine that.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FORD is playing around tying to mod a GT500 motor so it does hyperlock at high RPM's in raptor platform. I assume they will deliver a close HP engine option for a Raptor-R with GT500 engine.

FCA already has an answer already available to purchase. 37" tires and the 1000HP Hellcat Hellaphant, 426- 7.0 liter, aluminum version of the current hellcat engine.

I think their answer will be to make a Redeye version with 807HP. That will make it ridiculous, and the 702HP I’m currently purchasing will be more than enough. I love the ride in the Baja style trucks. That’s why I had 2 Raptors. But losing that v8 killed them for me. Now that Ram is supplying one (with a way better interior AND A SUPERCHARGER) I am stoked about getting a new one. I’m actually sleepless at night now with my anticipation of a build date, which is supposed to be next week!!

Last edited:

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Given that FCA has dispersed the SRT team, and the new CEO is a European, I just don't see that happening. I hope I'm wrong, but I think the TRX as you see it will be the high-water mark, and also the end of the line for monster ICE (internal combustion engine) vehicles.
Every automaker is putting all of their money into developing electrified vehicles now - there's no money for TRX/Hellcat/Redeye/Demon development any longer, and none of them want to be seen as thumbing their noses at the environment/climate sentiment that the entire globe is in right now.
Never fear, though, they will eventually make electric vehicles that outperform even the TRX. Of course, it'll have to tow a trailer with an extra battery every place it goes, but, hey... ;-)

Awood05

Reaction score
Given that FCA has dispersed the SRT team, and the new CEO is a European, I just don't see that happening. I hope I'm wrong, but I think the TRX as you see it will be the high-water mark, and also the end of the line for monster ICE (internal combustion engine) vehicles.
Every automaker is putting all of their money into developing electrified vehicles now - there's no money for TRX/Hellcat/Redeye/Demon development any longer, and none of them want to be seen as thumbing their noses at the environment/climate sentiment that the entire globe is in right now.
Never fear, though, they will eventually make electric vehicles that outperform even the TRX. Of course, it'll have to tow a trailer with an extra battery every place it goes, but, hey... ;-)
We will live our life a ‘quarter mile at a time’. 😉

Vargasvinyls

Reaction score
4F340931-B076-402E-84E8-2985DFB1076B.jpeg So for everyone talking about price, here is a $73k TRX at my local dealership. It was bada$$, and the price is about the same as a 1500 limited. After sitting in it and hearing it run, will definitely be my next truck!!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
View attachment 84840 So for everyone talking about price, here is a $73k TRX at my local dealership. It was bada$$, and the price is about the same as a 1500 limited. After sitting in it and hearing it run, will definitely be my next truck!!
That's the base model if its only $73K. Sweet looking truck and may be my next RAM as well. The difference is that the TRX will cost you $73K. A fully loaded Limited with a $73K MSRP will cost you about $60K.

Vargasvinyls

Reaction score
That's the base model if its only $73K. Sweet looking truck and may be my next RAM as well. The difference is that the TRX will cost you $73K. A fully loaded Limited with a $73K MSRP will cost you about $60K.
True Story! Yes it was the “base”, but it was more than enough for the majority of us. I saw 3 others while I was there including the launch edition. I’d be happy with any of them!

Users who are viewing this thread