5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trucks with and without Anti-Spin

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In my opinion, you won’t need the anti-spin when you’re running loaded on the road, and it won’t do anything for you on sand. The ELocker, however, would provide extra traction on sand if you ever needed it.

Over the traction 4WD provides? I would think all 4 wheels pulling/pushing would be the best, and supersede all other things. No?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Over the traction 4WD provides? I would think all 4 wheels pulling/pushing would be the best, and supersede all other things. No?
I just posted in the other thread that this question was asked.

Traction control does keep 4 wheels going...but once TC is maxed...you only have one front and one rear spinning with 4wd. ELocker let's you know you have 2 rear wheels spinning...much like 4wd high/low let you know you are in 4wd.
And antispin has to meet certain criteria to engage...much like 4wd auto.

anonymous

Reaction score
my '19 classic is open diff
my 14 was anti spin
i cant tell the diff between them, i stomp on the gas and the hemi open diff spins both wheels equally, there is zero one wheel spin
the '14 did the same
after lots and lots of reading, the lsd is nice to have, but it wont really matter with the '19 traction control as they apply the brakes individually to the spinning wheel
i will take a video of it on the pavement
check this video here:
this is no longer like in the 70s
i decided to get my ram without the lsd this time and so far zero issues on contruction sides with lots and lots of rain in the mud
this is no longer a deal breaker for me
dont forget them clutches wear out and the assembly is not rebuildable, it's a swap - one less thing for me to worry about

Maconi

Reaction score
The benefit of 4WD over 2WD is that 4WD obviously has the option of supplying power to any of the 4 wheels rather than just 2 of them.

The benefit of the LSRD (Limited Slip Rear Differential) is if 1 of your 2 rear wheels slip, it will redistribute some of that power to the opposite wheel to keep you moving in the right direction.

The benefit of TC (Traction Control) is that it does something similar to LSRD (controlling the power that is distributed to the wheels, usually through the manipulation of the brakes) but you can view it as a software approach vs the LSRD's dedicated hardware approach. TC also works on all 4 wheels rather than just the rear.

The benefit of the LRD (Locking Rear Differential) is that it constantly applies the same amount of power to both rear wheels (rather than redistributing some of it like the LSRD). The pro is that it should function better than the LSRD for this purpose. The con is that it's a manual toggle rather than an automatic system. It also only works at lower speeds to my knowledge (unlike the LSRD which works at any speed, again to my knowledge).

For most people 4WD + TC is plenty and LSD is a nice bonus. E-Locker is a tool designed for a purpose (if you know you're going to be driving the vehicle through environments where 1 rear wheel will regularly be losing traction at slow speed).

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I saw a post earlier today from @John318 about his regret not making sure his truck had anti spin, and I just wanted to touch base on everyones experience with dealing with traction issues. I’ll start.

I had a 2005 Dodge Dakota and a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara without anti slip, this changed everything for me. I live in central Kentucky so we rarely get snow, but it’s a lot of ice and wet roads. The wrangler couldn’t get traction for the life of it unless I put it into 4WD. This made me constantly uneasy because im not one to leave my car in 4wd for more than I have to IF that’s how it’s equipped. I then got a 2015 Grand Cherokee Overland that has full-time awd and a traditional 4wd system for 3 years. I LOVED this, it’s a very secure feeling knowing I can press the gas on a hard right turn from a stoplight with wet roads and not slip a bit.

So when I started looking for trucks, I wanted to find something similar, with the 4auto option. Starting from the F150 research, I saw myself getting anything Lariat and above to maintain the same driving I had with my jeep. Then the 2019 refreshed Ram came out and it was a done deal. I’ve always like that chevy and ram offered the AWD systems in way lesser trims. So when I bought my truck off the lot I was happy enough knowing 4auto was an option, but the truck ALSO has anti slip which I’ve never had before. So 2,000 miles in and…it appears auto is just not needed. I have pushed it pretty good and wet roads in 2wd and the truck has plenty of traction which I just was not expecting. My question is, would a f150 (XLT) drive similar with anti spin? Or is this unique to Ram? Or am I out of my mind in what im experiencing lol. Any feedback would be appreciated and hopefully helpful to future buyers.
I have a 4x4 Ram. When I put it on 2WD, my 22” tires spin in water. When in 4Auto, no problem what’s so ever. Maybe it’s the tire that comes with the 22” wheels or I have a heavy foot.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The benefit of 4WD over 2WD is that 4WD obviously has the option of supplying power to any of the 4 wheels rather than just 2 of them.

The benefit of the LSRD (Limited Slip Rear Differential) is if 1 of your 2 rear wheels slip, it will redistribute some of that power to the opposite wheel to keep you moving in the right direction.

The benefit of TC (Traction Control) is that it does something similar to LSRD (controlling the power that is distributed to the wheels, usually through the manipulation of the brakes) but you can view it as a software approach vs the LSRD's dedicated hardware approach. TC also works on all 4 wheels rather than just the rear.

The benefit of the LRD (Locking Rear Differential) is that it constantly applies the same amount of power to both rear wheels (rather than redistributing some of it like the LSRD). The pro is that it should function better than the LSRD for this purpose. The con is that it's a manual toggle rather than an automatic system. It also only works at lower speeds to my knowledge (unlike the LSRD which works at any speed, again to my knowledge).

For most people 4WD + TC is plenty and LSD is a nice bonus. E-Locker is a tool designed for a purpose (if you know you're going to be driving the vehicle through environments where 1 rear wheel will regularly be losing traction at slow speed).

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
I took the anti-spin over the E-Locker simply due to it being my wife's truck and all she knows is to use 4A if there's any indication of any issues. She wouldn't know when to engage the E-lock and likely she'd be going to fast to use it half the time (much heavier foot than me). So even though anti-slip is a clutch system that wears out and doesn't have a positive engagement like the E-Locker, there are those drivers that just wouldn't benefit from an E-Lock... There's benefits to both systems, slower speeds in sand, mud or deep snow would favor E-Locker. Over 20 mph on secondary roads would likely benefit anti-slip.

If you want to read more go to this thread, it won't really answer your question but will show you what each proponent side believes...
Why Order an eLocker or Limited Slip Differential?

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I ordered my truck, I would have added the anti-spin. However, I bought mine off the lot and it is open diff. I have had zero issues with traction.

I got my truck in October, and its been through a few snow storms, etc. For everyday driving, I doubt you would notice a difference.

That said, I do not tow with my truck at all, so I'm not sure how that would affect it.

AndreiV

Reaction score
I have 4x4 open diff and I have no problem driving in different weather conditions (no offroading for me). Of course when it snow or wet in 2WD mode rear wheels would spin or loose traction due to power and 1K pounds less weight in the rear. 4WD Auto is all I need in such situations to feel confident.

Users who are viewing this thread