5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck Sway - side to side

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Limited with air drives like a large sedan. I'm a big dude and when I climb onto the board to get in, the truck rocks toward me, but it returns immediately when I sit down. There is no rocking. Cornering is very planted and body roll is minimal.

Drove a 2019 Classic with springs for a week on my regular commute over rough road and noticed a difference. The springs made strong bumps feel a little less sharp at the point of impact, but the dampening on the bumps wasn't nearly as good. There was more repetitive jostling up and down on bumpy pavement with the springs.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
My Limited with air drives like a large sedan. I'm a big dude and when I climb onto the board to get in, the truck rocks toward me, but it returns immediately when I sit down. There is no rocking. Cornering is very planted and body roll is minimal.

Drove a 2019 Classic with springs for a week on my regular commute over rough road and noticed a difference. The springs made strong bumps feel a little less sharp at the point of impact, but the dampening on the bumps wasn't nearly as good. There was more repetitive jostling up and down on bumpy pavement with the springs.
For me, it's not necessarily about getting in and out of the truck. It's while driving. I feel like a shaken martini while driving. Not only do I feel EVERY bump, rock, crack, etc. I'm also being tossed around like I'm on a boat. I had test driven several other 1500's without air suspension and they felt like driving a sedan. You'd hardly know you were driving a truck. Not so with mine. I'm on a boat floating from side to side while feeling everything the road surface has to offer. It's not making for a fun ride......

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That sounds strange to me. I notice more bumps on our crappy heaved concrete roads in Aero, but that's not what the mode is made for. I let the truck go into Aero on the highway and let it go to NRH when I get off the highway. I was looking at your sig and one difference is that I have the 5'7" bed. I also swapped out the 20" OEM Dueler tires for Michelin Defenders at about 700 miles. The tires made a significant difference in drive comfort and winter traction.

Do you have 22" wheels?

rrbhokies

Reaction score
That sounds strange to me. I notice more bumps on our crappy heaved concrete roads in Aero, but that's not what the mode is made for. I let the truck go into Aero on the highway and let it go to NRH when I get off the highway. I was looking at your sig and one difference is that I have the 5'7" bed. I also swapped out the 20" OEM Dueler tires for Michelin Defenders at about 700 miles. The tires made a significant difference in drive comfort and winter traction.

Do you have 22" wheels?
I've tried Aero and it's worse. I drive almost exclusevily in Normal. I have 20" tires. Was there a particular reason you swapped them for the Michelin Duelers? About how much was it for the new tires, and what did you do with your old tires? Once I potentially get some of these issues resolved, I wouldn't mind swapping them out myself as I haven't generally heard good things about these Duelers. Bridgestone used to make really good tires if I remember correctly. I doubt I could get the dealer to swap them for Michelins do you?

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've historically waited until my OEM tires were worn out to replace them. After replacing them, I realized that I hadn't been driving my vehicle at its full potential for several years. Why didn't I replace them earlier? :(

I've had great performance from Michelin's LTX M/S series of tires for many years. The Defender is the latest in the evolution of the series. The take-offs are sitting bagged in the garage. My truck is a lease, so if I decide to not buy it out at the end, I have the option to put the OEM tires back on the truck.

elburrito82

Reaction score
I've historically waited until my OEM tires were worn out to replace them. After replacing them, I realized that I hadn't been driving my vehicle at its full potential for several years. Why didn't I replace them earlier? :(

I've had great performance from Michelin's LTX M/S series of tires for many years. The Defender is the latest in the evolution of the series. The take-offs are sitting bagged in the garage. My truck is a lease, so if I decide to not buy it out at the end, I have the option to put the OEM tires back on the truck.
Looks like that's what I'll need to do. Just got the truck back from the dealer, and I got the usual "that's just what they drive like". They admitted that they feel the bumps in the road, but nothing out of the ordinary. I'll swap out the tires and install a new sway bar to see if that improves my ride

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you go that route, I'd recommend doing them separately. Makes it easier to see the impact of each change.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Question about the sway bars. I'm looking at the Hellwig ones. Do I install both a front and a rear sway bar, or just one or the other? Also, how easy is it for the novice to install? They seem like they are bolt on for the most part, but anyone install ones yet and can comment?

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Question about the sway bars. I'm looking at the Hellwig ones. Do I install both a front and a rear sway bar, or just one or the other? Also, how easy is it for the novice to install? They seem like they are bolt on for the most part, but anyone install ones yet and can comment?

Hellwig only makes a rear sway bar for the 5th Gen, they found that while the stock rear is not up to par, the front one is pretty good and not worth replacing.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Super easy install.

psyberai

Clinically Abnormal Attention Paid To This Truck
Reaction score
Talking of sway, does anyone know of any solutions that provide for a disconnecting sway bar...COTS based or hillbilly engineering based? I don't expect anything like what the Power Wagon has, but I would like the extra articulation in near or real time demand.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Talking of sway, does anyone know of any solutions that provide for a disconnecting sway bar...COTS based or hillbilly engineering based? I don't expect anything like what the Power Wagon has, but I would like the extra articulation in near or real time demand.

Front or rear? I would imagine the rear would be easy to just unbolt the links and zip tie the bar in place on the axle. The front is tougher because the sway bar itself would actually interfere with suspension travel even when disconnected from the links. It would need to be removed, or tied up out of the way as well, but I think it could be in the way still when tied up, you could rub your tire on it in the right scenario.

psyberai

Reaction score
Tracking. I was shortsidedly thinking rear, but I see your point. I assumed the way the solid bars attached were by bolts and if you disconnected, it would just clunk around, but that would just depend on how pillow-fisted I was in tying it off. I was hoping of at least a manual way existing, which worked like the eDisconnect works on the Power Wagon.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tracking. I was shortsidedly thinking rear, but I see your point. I assumed the way the solid bars attached were by bolts and if you disconnected, it would just clunk around, but that would just depend on how pillow-fisted I was in tying it off. I was hoping of at least a manual way existing, which worked like the eDisconnect works on the Power Wagon.

Short of fabbing up a kit with a sliding splined collar, there is no other way to get disconnecting sway bars on a vehicle that did not come with it as an option.

You just gave me a great business plan though, lol

psyberai

Reaction score
Short of fabbing up a kit with a sliding splined collar, there is no other way to get disconnecting sway bars on a vehicle that did not come with it as an option.

You just gave me a great business plan though, lol
Hell, brother...I am at your front door right now. You've got my cheerleading and financial support if you head that direction.;)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used to have the old front sway bar from my Tundra lying around, I think I tossed it, but I'll look just in case so I can try hacking it up. You have me thinking on it, and it's something I'm pretty sure I could do.

How hard can it be?
(Famous last words)

J4U

Reaction score
Installed the Hellwig this weekend when it came in. Well worth the money and immediately noticed difference in cornering and bumps. Especially for the 1/2 hour it took to put on. Put it in the middle hole of the three and like the added stiffness the one hole move gives.

One thing I'm glad I did was pay attention to which way the OG was installed. Matched it up on the ground with the HW when I took it off. Have seen some people put it on 180° the other way and bump out is way up the rear axle cover.

Users who are viewing this thread