5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck Sway - side to side

leeghoti

Reaction score
So a guy walks into a forum... 9 days ago and no response since. OK I'll stop... :whistle:

I am wondering if he has never owned a heavy vehicle that has actual significant mass, my Limited rocks once and a small bit to settle out when I stand on and then off the running boards (I am about normal to slightly over average 6'3" 205lbs)
Soooooooo, perhaps, and I wouldn't even describe my issue as side to side, however I still own the F150 I was talking about, and just now me & my employee who drives it did some side by side pushing on them both... we agreed the Ram rocks more after an equal-ish force. Not very scientific, and honestly can probably be explained by the 60,000 miles more the Ford has on it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

leeghoti

Reaction score
That's what I've been afraid of. I only have 225 miles on my truck so far, so I didn't want to rush back to the dealer just yet. I'm trying to make notes of exactly what I'm experiencing and how it feels/sounds when it happens so I can be as descriptive as possible to the Dealer. In addition to the sway, I've experienced the "rumble strip" effect at low speeds when accelerating, and the sensation at cruising speed where the trucks feels like it's trying to push and pull forward and backward, like it surges at times. I feel like I'm being towed and yanked forward and let go, yanked forward, and let go again. Fingers crossed all these things can be resolved. I still recall the first 1500 I took out on a test drive early in the process and it felt like I was driving a Honda Accord sedan. Smooth as silk and you couldn't feel a bump in the road. This truck? Pushing and pulling, rumble strips, swaying back and forth, and you can feel every single pebble in the road. Of course, did I notice any of this on my final test drive before buying the truck? Of course not. I was too giddy with excitement of getting 30% MSRP!!! Argghh....
How about you? Have you taken yours in yet?

rrbhokies

Reaction score
How about you? Have you taken yours in yet?

No, not yet. I now have 285 miles. I do find the ride to be better in Normal vs. Aero. However, it still sways more than I think it should. I feel like I'm being tossed around quite a bit, and I don't recall that in the other trucks I previously test drove. And I'm really concerned about the surge feeling of being jerked back and forth. Between that and the sway, I feel like I'm driving a bounce house!! I'll post as soon as I bring it in and have something to share.

ram1991

Reaction score
I have a similar experience when towing with my Laramie 3.92 with air suspension. I have tons of boat towing experience snd coming from 3/4 avalanche so can’t figure out what’s normal for this truck and air suspension.

All the basics are covered , trailer level, tires balanced etc But really not happy with the rear bouncing and not settling back quick, the push pull feel etc. Also feels like it dives when breaking without trailer

I’m doing my best to give this thing a chance but not experiencing that wonderful planted towing experience everyone is raving about.

Ram92131

Reaction score
So a guy walks into a forum... 9 days ago and no response since. OK I'll stop... :whistle:

I am wondering if he has never owned a heavy vehicle that has actual significant mass, my Limited rocks once and a small bit to settle out when I stand on and then off the running boards (I am about normal to slightly over average 6'3" 205lbs)

This. He said he never owned a truck before. Seems likely he didn’t notice the ride when he was test driving, and now that he owns it he starts to notice what it’s really like to drive a truck. The whole shaking/bumping other trucks thing sounds like classic confirmation bias.

I notice now 6000 miles in to my ownership that my truck is bouncier than my old Grand Cherokee. And yes I can make my truck rock a little to the side when I climb in. Did I ever consider that a problem? Of course not.

This truck’s ride beats the pants off F150s I’ve driven.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a similar experience when towing with my Laramie 3.92 with air suspension. I have tons of boat towing experience snd coming from 3/4 avalanche so can’t figure out what’s normal for this truck and air suspension.

All the basics are covered , trailer level, tires balanced etc But really not happy with the rear bouncing and not settling back quick, the push pull feel etc. Also feels like it dives when breaking without trailer

I’m doing my best to give this thing a chance but not experiencing that wonderful planted towing experience everyone is raving about.

You came from a heavy, stiffly sprung 3/4 ton truck, to a light, squishy (especially by comparison), air ride half-ton. There's going to be some difference. The DT Rams tow great, for a half ton, and the ride is amazing loaded or unloaded. But, in my experience, coming from a Tundra (also on the stiffer side, a little heavier, and kinda a half built like a 3/4 ton), I also noticed the Ram felt a little less stable pulling my car trailer setup, which I've done hundreds of times with the Tundra, and even pulled the exact same vehicle once with the Ram. My suspicion, is to upgrade the anti-roll bars, as I assume they are hollow and relatively thin-walled to save weight and help with the ride compliance. I'd trade just a dash of ride quality for that extra stability when hitched up.

Now, here's what I'm not saying: The Ram is by NO MEANS unsafe, unsettling, nerve wracking, or dangerous feeling to tow with. I'm only noting a small difference between two trucks that I had / have, and got the opportunity to tow the same trailer with the same load on the same roads with. If your experience with the Ram invokes words such as above, especially when unloaded, then I definitely suggest a trip to the service department asap. Trailer setup is also key, and if you haven't adjusted the hitch / weight bars from their position that you used on the Avalanche, I'd suggest starting there and setting the trailer up properly for THIS truck, using the owners manual as a guide, as there is a specific section about air ride and wdh's. Edit: Just remembered you were talking about boat trailers, so probably not applicable in this scenario, but you get what I'm saying.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Soooooooo, perhaps, and I wouldn't even describe my issue as side to side, however I still own the F150 I was talking about, and just now me & my employee who drives it did some side by side pushing on them both... we agreed the Ram rocks more after an equal-ish force. Not very scientific, and honestly can probably be explained by the 60,000 miles more the Ford has on it.

Do both the RAM and F150 have spring suspension or does the RAM have air bag suspension?(Sorry for asking but your previous post never said and in just trying to think what might make you notice a difference)

leeghoti

Reaction score
Do both the RAM and F150 have spring suspension or does the RAM have air bag suspension?(Sorry for asking but your previous post never said and in just trying to think what might make you notice a difference)
Spring on both. Yeah I need to fill out my profile

ram1991

Reaction score
You came from a heavy, stiffly sprung 3/4 ton truck, to a light, squishy (especially by comparison), air ride half-ton. There's going to be some difference. The DT Rams tow great, for a half ton, and the ride is amazing loaded or unloaded. But, in my experience, coming from a Tundra (also on the stiffer side, a little heavier, and kinda a half built like a 3/4 ton), I also noticed the Ram felt a little less stable pulling my car trailer setup, which I've done hundreds of times with the Tundra, and even pulled the exact same vehicle once with the Ram. My suspicion, is to upgrade the anti-roll bars, as I assume they are hollow and relatively thin-walled to save weight and help with the ride compliance. I'd trade just a dash of ride quality for that extra stability when hitched up.

Now, here's what I'm not saying: The Ram is by NO MEANS unsafe, unsettling, nerve wracking, or dangerous feeling to tow with. I'm only noting a small difference between two trucks that I had / have, and got the opportunity to tow the same trailer with the same load on the same roads with. If your experience with the Ram invokes words such as above, especially when unloaded, then I definitely suggest a trip to the service department asap. Trailer setup is also key, and if you haven't adjusted the hitch / weight bars from their position that you used on the Avalanche, I'd suggest starting there and setting the trailer up properly for THIS truck, using the owners manual as a guide, as there is a specific section about air ride and wdh's. Edit: Just remembered you were talking about boat trailers, so probably not applicable in this scenario, but you get what I'm saying.
Yeah I hear you and have thought of all the same things. Obviously with a boat trailer the only things to adjust are tire pressure and hitch height and all that’s the same. I will say I’ve towed the same boat with my dad’s 2011 1/2 ton crew cab Chevy with leaf springs and suspension wise it was the same feeling as my avalanche. Very stable, dampened well, no bounce. But I figured air suspension would tow at least as well. I certainly didn’t think it would feel that squirrelly. I do have tires on truck at max cold which I’ve always done when towing , but figured that would help with bounce. It hurt it. My next steps are to air down a little and maybe lower the hitch below level. I’m out of ideas.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah I hear you and have thought of all the same things. Obviously with a boat trailer the only things to adjust are tire pressure and hitch height and all that’s the same. I will say I’ve towed the same boat with my dad’s 2011 1/2 ton crew cab Chevy with leaf springs and suspension wise it was the same feeling as my avalanche. Very stable, dampened well, no bounce. But I figured air suspension would tow at least as well. I certainly didn’t think it would feel that squirrelly. I do have tires on truck at max cold which I’ve always done when towing , but figured that would help with bounce. It hurt it. My next steps are to air down a little and maybe lower the hitch below level. I’m out of ideas.
Research hellwig sway bar and see if you think it will help you. I don’t tow yet with mine but I believe from my research it will help with your concerns and it’s a minimal investment.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Do you know what your tongue weight is on the trailer? From what you're describing, I'm actually thinking you don't have enough weight on the truck. Or that when the air ride self level's the rear end, it's putting your trailer in a nose up position. Lowering the hitch height would help. And, if that tongue weight isn't super substantial, I'd just run the tires at the recommended cold inflation pressure on the door jamb (before hooking up). But, knowing what your truck config is (door jamb payload sticker, cab, engine, rear end, drive system) and what the trailer weighs will help a lot too with diagnosing this issue for ya.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For air ride, an aftermarket swaybar is a must. For the coil trucks, it's more a personal preference. I found my 16' with air a loose biatch on the highway and my 19' with coils is pretty tight.

elburrito82

Reaction score
I don't want to insult you with this question, but did you check the tire pressure? These trucks sit on the lots for months sometimes so they air up the tires to prevent flat spotting. Many times they forget to lower the air pressure for delivery. My tires were well over 10 psi over the recommended amount.
Yes, mine were also 10 psi over. I reduced them down and the overall ride was better, but it still feels off. On some roads I feel like I can feel all of the groves/bumps/cracks still

elburrito82

Reaction score
No
Do you have the Air Suspension? I have it, and I am experiencing the same issue as you. It rocks back and forth several times when you just step on and off the running boards. Also, going around corners, even at slow speeds, the truck rocks back and forth quite a bit. I've experienced it both in Aero mode, and in standard mode (level 3). Doesn't matter. I was chocking it up to the Air Suspension.

Also, can you install the Hellwig sway bars on a truck with air suspension?
Nope, no air suspension on mine

elburrito82

Reaction score
Did you take it to the dealership or improve it yet? I'm having what sounds like a similar issue, less than 1000 miles on it. I have a call into the dealer I bought it from but haven't heard back yet.
I'm coming from a 2016 F150 similarly equipped and the ride on that truck was way smoother than what I'm experiencing with my Ram. Given that everybody seems to rave about how ride the nice on this truck is I'm thinking I have an issue.
I have an appointment tomorrow with the dealer. They are replacing the driver side mirror (different issue) and I've asked them to look into this as well. So far my experience with this dealer is not great, unless it's an obvious flaw I usually get the "rides good for me" excuse

elburrito82

Reaction score

Sorry, I was out of town for a family vacation, and then immediately left for a work trip after that. I didn't mean to offend anyone, and I do appreciate all the advice.

You are completely correct. I have never owned a car with significant mass unless you count a minivan. I understand if people say "that's just the way a truck rides", but it doesn't feel 100% right to me. Also, I've seen a lot of other people on this forum making similar comments so I don't think I'm alone

elburrito82

Reaction score
I just imagined some guy walking through a parking lot bumping into every truck to see if it shakes?! I’d be fuming if I saw someone pushing on my vehicle, or finding a greasy hand print on my fresh wax lol.

Also, since I’m just getting back from lunch I pushed on my truck to see if it shakes. Guess I’m not strong enough, it moved maybe half an inch :p
They were coworkers trucks. We were going out to lunch and I made some comments about the sway so I was testing their trucks with their permission. Everyone relax and put down your internet pitchforks

Last edited:

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Yes, mine were also 10 psi over. I reduced them down and the overall ride was better, but it still feels off. On some roads I feel like I can feel all of the groves/bumps/cracks still
Same here. I feel EVERYTHING! And I have the Duelers 20" tires, so it's not like I'm riding on A/T tires or anything. When I got the truck, the tires were all set to around 42-44 psi. According to the tag on the door sill, it says 36 psi, so I let some air out and brought it down to about 37/38. Not really any noticeable difference. I still feel everything, not to mention that I bounce around quite a bit, which I suspect may be the air suspension, which I'm regretting that I bought one that had it. Anyways, that's water under the bridge. Now to try to fix whatever it is that needs fixing to make the ride as smooth as possible.

elburrito82

Reaction score
Same here. I feel EVERYTHING! And I have the Duelers 20" tires, so it's not like I'm riding on A/T tires or anything. When I got the truck, the tires were all set to around 42-44 psi. According to the tag on the door sill, it says 36 psi, so I let some air out and brought it down to about 37/38. Not really any noticeable difference. I still feel everything, not to mention that I bounce around quite a bit, which I suspect may be the air suspension, which I'm regretting that I bought one that had it. Anyways, that's water under the bridge. Now to try to fix whatever it is that needs fixing to make the ride as smooth as possible.
I have the same 20" tires. Maybe that's the problem?

Users who are viewing this thread