5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck Sway - side to side

elburrito82

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum (and to being a truck owner) and don't really know much about cars in general. I just bought my 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie a few weeks ago and noticed something concerning. The ride for the most part is pretty smooth, but it just seems to move/bounce/sway more than it should. I also notice that when I get in and out of the truck it rocks from side to side 2-3 times before settling. This seems excessive to me. I've walked by other trucks in my parking lot at work and pushed on the side rails to test them. They'll rock once, and then settle. After seeing this I took my truck to the service center at the dealership and they said the ride feels good to them. So what is it? Is this kind of rocking/bouncy expected in a truck? Or is something wrong?

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Could just be a characteristic of the truck that you are not use to? See if you can take a test ride in a similar truck on the dealer's lot. If it feel different, grab a tech and show them your results.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get a hellwig sway bar! Best $200 I’ve spent in a while!

Can you describe the difference? Will it help with body roll in corners? I feel like mine is less controlled than my 2016 F150 on on ramps and such.

sparkygreen

Reaction score
Can you describe the difference? Will it help with body roll in corners? I feel like mine is less controlled than my 2016 F150 on on ramps and such.

Second vote for the Hellwig Sway Bar. That is the exact purpose to help minimize body roll both when cornering and when driving over bumps, like speed bumps in a parking lot. I never felt like there was excessive body roll in my new 2019 Ram (Possibly since I had a 2014 for 5 years before this one), but what I did notice is that when I added the Hellwig sway bar there was an immediate improvement in body roll in corners and going over bumps. Everything just feels more planted and sturdy in the rear end now. Makes me wish I had installed one on my 2014 years ago!

I would also suggest you check out Moe's Performance, great parts supplier and he has these at the best price I could find and with quick free shipping, no sales tax (assuming you arent in Texas).

Good Luck!

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum (and to being a truck owner) and don't really know much about cars in general. I just bought my 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie a few weeks ago and noticed something concerning. The ride for the most part is pretty smooth, but it just seems to move/bounce/sway more than it should. I also notice that when I get in and out of the truck it rocks from side to side 2-3 times before settling. This seems excessive to me. I've walked by other trucks in my parking lot at work and pushed on the side rails to test them. They'll rock once, and then settle. After seeing this I took my truck to the service center at the dealership and they said the ride feels good to them. So what is it? Is this kind of rocking/bouncy expected in a truck? Or is something wrong?

Your comment about swaying back and forth 2-3 times has me thinking you have bad shocks. Shock absorbers don't really absorb shock, they stop the back and forth swaying that springs allow. Think of a kids toy on a spring that goes back and forth for a long time. The shocks allow the movement once and then dampen it. You can also spot this on an old car with blown shocks. They go over a bump and keep rocking back and forth down the road.

The initial bounciness is your springs but repetitive bounciness is your shocks. Mine leans to one side as I get in, then rocks back to the driver's side and stops. I'd get your shocks checked out.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Second vote for the Hellwig Sway Bar. That is the exact purpose to help minimize body roll both when cornering and when driving over bumps, like speed bumps in a parking lot. I never felt like there was excessive body roll in my new 2019 Ram (Possibly since I had a 2014 for 5 years before this one), but what I did notice is that when I added the Hellwig sway bar there was an immediate improvement in body roll in corners and going over bumps. Everything just feels more planted and sturdy in the rear end now. Makes me wish I had installed one on my 2014 years ago!

I would also suggest you check out Moe's Performance, great parts supplier and he has these at the best price I could find and with quick free shipping, no sales tax (assuming you arent in Texas).

Good Luck!

FYI you can buy that same model on Amazon for $223.54 and free shipping. Your link shows those guys selling it for $248.38

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Do you have the Air Suspension? I have it, and I am experiencing the same issue as you. It rocks back and forth several times when you just step on and off the running boards. Also, going around corners, even at slow speeds, the truck rocks back and forth quite a bit. I've experienced it both in Aero mode, and in standard mode (level 3). Doesn't matter. I was chocking it up to the Air Suspension.

Also, can you install the Hellwig sway bars on a truck with air suspension?

sparkygreen

Reaction score
FYI you can buy that same model on Amazon for $223.54 and free shipping. Your link shows those guys selling it for $248.38

Good call. I just bought mine a couple weeks ago and Amazon was $254 or something like that at the time.

And also I have air suspension. This can be installed on any trim and driveline, they are all the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have the Air Suspension? I have it, and I am experiencing the same issue as you. It rocks back and forth several times when you just step on and off the running boards. Also, going around corners, even at slow speeds, the truck rocks back and forth quite a bit. I've experienced it both in Aero mode, and in standard mode (level 3). Doesn't matter. I was chocking it up to the Air Suspension.

If you have air and it’s doing that you have problems as mine doesn’t do that

rrbhokies

Reaction score
If you have air and it’s doing that you have problems as mine doesn’t do that
That's what I've been afraid of. I only have 225 miles on my truck so far, so I didn't want to rush back to the dealer just yet. I'm trying to make notes of exactly what I'm experiencing and how it feels/sounds when it happens so I can be as descriptive as possible to the Dealer. In addition to the sway, I've experienced the "rumble strip" effect at low speeds when accelerating, and the sensation at cruising speed where the trucks feels like it's trying to push and pull forward and backward, like it surges at times. I feel like I'm being towed and yanked forward and let go, yanked forward, and let go again. Fingers crossed all these things can be resolved. I still recall the first 1500 I took out on a test drive early in the process and it felt like I was driving a Honda Accord sedan. Smooth as silk and you couldn't feel a bump in the road. This truck? Pushing and pulling, rumble strips, swaying back and forth, and you can feel every single pebble in the road. Of course, did I notice any of this on my final test drive before buying the truck? Of course not. I was too giddy with excitement of getting 30% MSRP!!! Argghh....

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I have the hellwig on mine with air suspension and have none of the issues you talk about. I think my truck rides great and I don’t know if the hellwig is a big reason or not. I installed it like a couple weeks after getting my truck. Definitely doesn’t have any additional sway or bouncing up and down.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's what I've been afraid of. I only have 225 miles on my truck so far, so I didn't want to rush back to the dealer just yet. I'm trying to make notes of exactly what I'm experiencing and how it feels/sounds when it happens so I can be as descriptive as possible to the Dealer. In addition to the sway, I've experienced the "rumble strip" effect at low speeds when accelerating, and the sensation at cruising speed where the trucks feels like it's trying to push and pull forward and backward, like it surges at times. I feel like I'm being towed and yanked forward and let go, yanked forward, and let go again. Fingers crossed all these things can be resolved. I still recall the first 1500 I took out on a test drive early in the process and it felt like I was driving a Honda Accord sedan. Smooth as silk and you couldn't feel a bump in the road. This truck? Pushing and pulling, rumble strips, swaying back and forth, and you can feel every single pebble in the road. Of course, did I notice any of this on my final test drive before buying the truck? Of course not. I was too giddy with excitement of getting 30% MSRP!!! Argghh....
Regarding the side sway, it’s possible your new suspension just needs to “settle” a bit. I feel like mine did that at delivery, and you stated you have only 225 miles. I’ve got almost 7K on mine now, and I’d long forgotten about that observation; it feels very “planted”.

leeghoti

Reaction score

Did you take it to the dealership or improve it yet? I'm having what sounds like a similar issue, less than 1000 miles on it. I have a call into the dealer I bought it from but haven't heard back yet.
I'm coming from a 2016 F150 similarly equipped and the ride on that truck was way smoother than what I'm experiencing with my Ram. Given that everybody seems to rave about how ride the nice on this truck is I'm thinking I have an issue.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't want to insult you with this question, but did you check the tire pressure? These trucks sit on the lots for months sometimes so they air up the tires to prevent flat spotting. Many times they forget to lower the air pressure for delivery. My tires were well over 10 psi over the recommended amount.

leeghoti

Reaction score
That is a great point. I don't know about OP but that was the first thing I checked.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So a guy walks into a forum... 9 days ago and no response since. OK I'll stop... :whistle:

I am wondering if he has never owned a heavy vehicle that has actual significant mass, my Limited rocks once and a small bit to settle out when I stand on and then off the running boards (I am about normal to slightly over average 6'3" 205lbs)

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So a guy walks into a forum... 9 days ago and no response since. OK I'll stop... :whistle:

I am wondering if he has never owned a heavy vehicle that has actual significant mass, my Limited rocks once and a small bit to settle out when I stand on and then off the running boards (I am about normal to slightly over average 6'3" 205lbs)
I just imagined some guy walking through a parking lot bumping into every truck to see if it shakes?! I’d be fuming if I saw someone pushing on my vehicle, or finding a greasy hand print on my fresh wax lol.

Also, since I’m just getting back from lunch I pushed on my truck to see if it shakes. Guess I’m not strong enough, it moved maybe half an inch :p

Users who are viewing this thread