5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck doesn’t recognize when Tailgate is open.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Our issue is a bit different. Regardless of tailgate position (closed or fully open), the tailgate registers as closed on the dash console.

I wonder if the removable harness between the tailgate/truck bed might not be seated properly? assuming the camera and release button are working, its still possible the harness has a bad pin, corrosion or else going on

U

User_21361

Its a good thought. I re-seated the harness plug and also checked the voltage at the harness (truck side and tailgate side). The voltage at the harness was the same as the voltage at the switch. I don't know what voltage to expect, but .5 volts feels low. Ideally I would check a door latch or someone elses truck to see what their voltage readings were, but then I recalled that's why I have a warranty haha. Taking the door apart seemed like a lot of work and I don't have access to another truck to test the tailgate. Now that I'm typing it out, I could probably check the voltage on the switch for the hood latch. It probably uses the exact same system. The truck goes in on Friday and I may just let them figure it out. I do have to disconnect my tailgate light bar before going in because I know they will mess with the tailgate wiring harness.

MCSandersbro

Reaction score
It may be whatever microswitch is triggered by the latch - I've noticed when my tailgate is closed but the dash says 'open', the right side is just mm ajar, you have to feel for it but it's there, I'm wondering if the rubber stops are just pushing the latch out enough w/o slamming it shut.
Hadn’t received a call today which means they still haven’t figured it out. Maybe it is a switch maybe not. I dunno, this is something they need to figure out.

U

User_21361

Hadn’t received a call today which means they still haven’t figured it out. Maybe it is a switch maybe not. I dunno, this is something they need to figure out.
Wow, I hope they find out soon for your sake and because I don't think I can be without a vehicle for 3+ days

MCSandersbro

Reaction score
Any word yet?
I called yesterday and they are still “troubleshooting it” with RAM trying to figure out what’s causing it. It’s been a solid 3 days so it’s a little concerning at this point. Good thing they gave me this sweet Dodge Caravan as my loner. I think that pisses me off more than anything at this point.

U

User_21361

I called yesterday and they are still “troubleshooting it” with RAM trying to figure out what’s causing it. It’s been a solid 3 days so it’s a little concerning at this point. Good thing they gave me this sweet Dodge Caravan as my loner. I think that pisses me off more than anything at this point.
That's disturbing haha. At least they had something for you. I'm dreading dropping mine off indefinitely with nothin more than a shuttle option.

U

User_21361

Nothing positive to report, I was called in saying it was working as designed. I had to go in to show them on a new truck what was supposed to happen. Follow up appointment scheduled.

MCSandersbro

Reaction score
Nothing positive to report, I was called in saying it was working as designed. I had to go in to show them on a new truck what was supposed to happen. Follow up appointment scheduled.
I got an update yesterday. They believe that the trucks computer is not registering that it has a tailgate. It requires a Chrysler engineer to come in on Monday or Tuesday and look at the computer and may have to write and upload code to the trucks computer system. Basically like a computer system engineer does in a company. He said there are 3 trucks all purchased and manufactured around the same time that have came up with the same issue since I’ve dropped mine off. New update next week.

MCSandersbro

Reaction score
Got the truck back today. They had a RAM rep come out with some special computer that dealerships don’t have and reconfigured that trucks computer. Everything works again. Only took a week.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Got the truck back today. They had a RAM rep come out with some special computer that dealerships don’t have and reconfigured that trucks computer. Everything works again. Only took a week.

Pretty unbelievable that a factory rep has to come out and tell the truck what it has installed. Wonder if they can trace this run of trucks back to the goofball at the factory that forgot to do this...

Rick

kevin56

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing and I made a post about it since I didnt see this one. I went so far today and traced the sense wire all the way to the BCM (I have a tech authority account for the wiring diagram) and its all good along with the switch on the latch. I also had the .5 volts on the violet/orange wire. Would you mind PMing me or posting the dealer's name. Like seribralcrow, my dealer says there is nothing wrong with it even though I showed them a truck optioned like mine that worked.

Looks like a few people have the issue, I would assume they reprogrammed the BCM.

Last edited:

MCSandersbro

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing and I made a post about it since I didnt see this one. I went so far today and traced the sense wire all the way to the BCM (I have a tech authority account for the wiring diagram) and its all good along with the switch on the latch. I also had the .5 volts on the violet/orange wire. Would you mind PMing me or posting the dealer's name. Like seribralcrow, my dealer says there is nothing wrong with it even though I showed them a truck optioned like mine that worked.

Looks like a few people have the issue, I would assume they reprogrammed the BCM.
Tate Dodge in Glen Burnie MD. Talk to Jason he should know exactly what your taking about.

kevin56

Reaction score
Tate Dodge in Glen Burnie MD. Talk to Jason he should know exactly what your taking about.

Thanks, I'll give my dealer the info. I have a feeling there are a lot of trucks out there with the same problem and owners dont even know. Mine never worked and I always thought it was kind of silly that the bed lights didnt turn on when you opened the tailgate, then I was looking at another DT Big Horn a friend bought and when he opened his the tailgate the lights came on. Then I looked at the window sticker and build sheet for mine and it says Tailgate Ajar warning, looks like all big horns and up get that feature. First dealer blew me off, but there is another that is a little more open to trying to figure things out.

john94si

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same.. going in when its due for an oil change (free oil for life)

U

User_21361

Status update: Mine is throwing a code relating to the 3rd brake light, not sure if its related or not. I have replaced those bulbs with LEDs, so I'm not sure if the low power consumption on the circuit would throw a code. The tech is currently testing the entire circuit by hand, wire by wire, for a short. It sounds very painful and tedious. I gave my adviser the contact of the other dealer listed above, but I don't know if they have contacted that person.

john94si

Reaction score
Status update: Mine is throwing a code relating to the 3rd brake light, not sure if its related or not. I have replaced those bulbs with LEDs, so I'm not sure if the low power consumption on the circuit would throw a code. The tech is currently testing the entire circuit by hand, wire by wire, for a short. It sounds very painful and tedious. I gave my adviser the contact of the other dealer listed above, but I don't know if they have contacted that person.
Did you use a tazer to force it to recognize you changed to LED?

MCSandersbro

Reaction score
I’d have them put the OEM bulbs back in and see if it fixes the issue rather than chasing every wire prior to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online