5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck doesn’t recognize when Tailgate is open.

MCSandersbro

Reaction score
Has anyone had an issue where the truck doesn’t recognize the tailgate being open? My cargo lights won’t come on when opening the tailgate and the console doesn’t give me any warnings or recognize its ajar. This just started happening yesterday... is there a fuse specifically for the tailgate?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ha mine is the opposite - it sends me a big red warning the tailgate isn't closed when it is... maybe 1-2x a week. No idea what or why. Doubt it's a fuse though.

Ranger482

Reaction score
Have not heard of this issue before. Sounds like a sensor somewhere or possibly bad connection? Let us know if you find the culprit.

U

User_21361

Mine is the same way. Was planning some bed lights but need to figure this out first.

Does anyone know where the sensor for this is?

Last edited by a moderator:
U

User_21361

The switch is built into the latch. It's a simple circuit the goes back through the harness. The line has voltage, but not much (.5 volts) and the switch works. I traced the voltage to the tailgate harness and get the same reading. That means the issue is somewhere else on the truck which means my life got harder haha. Maybe a dealer problem.

Anyone have any more bright ideas. For those interested the switch is located on the passenger latch of the tailgate. I know some had issues with the tailgate registering open. You only need to adjust the passenger side.

MCSandersbro

Reaction score
The switch is built into the latch. It's a simple circuit the goes back through the harness. The line has voltage, but not much (.5 volts) and the switch works. I traced the voltage to the tailgate harness and get the same reading. That means the issue is somewhere else on the truck which means my life got harder haha. Maybe a dealer problem.

Anyone have any more bright ideas. For those interested the switch is located on the passenger latch of the tailgate. I know some had issues with the tailgate registering open. You only need to adjust the passenger side.
I’m glad it’s not just me. I’ve checked everything I can think and can’t figure it out. I’m taking it to the dealer.

U

User_21361

I have an appointment on Fri for this and fixing my auto dimming headlights. Let me know what you find out.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ha mine is the opposite - it sends me a big red warning the tailgate isn't closed when it is... maybe 1-2x a week. No idea what or why. Doubt it's a fuse though.

Hello Willwork4truck,
We know you are reaching out to your fellow forum members, however we would suggest having your dealer address your concern. If you need additional assistance while working with them, please reach out to us privately.
Laura
Ram Cares

RamCares

Reaction score
Has anyone had an issue where the truck doesn’t recognize the tailgate being open? My cargo lights won’t come on when opening the tailgate and the console doesn’t give me any warnings or recognize its ajar. This just started happening yesterday... is there a fuse specifically for the tailgate?

Hello MCSandersbro,
We know you are reaching out to your fellow forum members, however we would suggest having your dealer address your concern. If you need additional assistance while working with them, please reach out to us privately.
Laura
Ram Cares

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Hello Willwork4truck,
Laura
Ram Cares
?? Thats what the forum is for, unless you think it should just be ra ra RAM...

john94si

Reaction score
When the gate is open should it show on the dash? Mine doesnt and i thought it should

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Mine does that from time to time, I've noticed the right side latch doesn't close as tightly as the left unless I lift from the right side of the tailgate

MCSandersbro

Reaction score
Mine does that from time to time, I've noticed the right side latch doesn't close as tightly as the left unless I lift from the right side of the tailgate
Yesterday I got a call from the service guy. They had been working on it all day and are still scratching their heads. They crazy thing that he said was, the mechanic went out to his truck which was the same year and model to compare something and noticed his was doing the same thing! Which he never noticed before. Sooooo still troubleshooting.
It’s definitely not the latch. Something isn’t talking to something somewhere.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yesterday I got a call from the service guy. They had been working on it all day and are still scratching their heads. They crazy thing that he said was, the mechanic went out to his truck which was the same year and model to compare something and noticed his was doing the same thing! Which he never noticed before. Sooooo still troubleshooting.
It’s definitely not the latch. Something isn’t talking to something somewhere.

It may be whatever microswitch is triggered by the latch - I've noticed when my tailgate is closed but the dash says 'open', the right side is just mm ajar, you have to feel for it but it's there, I'm wondering if the rubber stops are just pushing the latch out enough w/o slamming it shut.

U

User_21361

It may be whatever microswitch is triggered by the latch - I've noticed when my tailgate is closed but the dash says 'open', the right side is just mm ajar, you have to feel for it but it's there, I'm wondering if the rubber stops are just pushing the latch out enough w/o slamming it shut.

Our issue is a bit different. Regardless of tailgate position (closed or fully open), the tailgate registers as closed on the dash console. For your issue, you can likely just adjust the metal tailgate post to move it so it engages the latch more effectively. If your truck is like mine, the microswitch is only on the passenger side of the tailgate. In my case, I took the latch apart and tested the microswitch with no luck.

Users who are viewing this thread