5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck doesn’t recognize when Tailgate is open.

U

User_21361

I’d have them put the OEM bulbs back in and see if it fixes the issue rather than chasing every wire prior to that.
I called them and suggested that as well. I'm more suspicious that it's unrelated. The tailgate didn't work properly before I swapped the LEDs. Also, the 3rd brake light circuit should not interfere with the tailgate ajar warning light on the console which also does not work.

MCSandersbro

Reaction score
I called them and suggested that as well. I'm more suspicious that it's unrelated. The tailgate didn't work properly before I swapped the LEDs. Also, the 3rd brake light circuit should not interfere with the tailgate ajar warning light on the console which also does not work.
Agreed. They tried to tell me that when I switch my LEDs it was causing issues. Found out it was a bad OEM bulb through my own troubleshooting. FYI if you ever have a problem with either front turn signal not illuminating at night or intermittent, check the side marker bulbs. Apparently that’s not something that the techs aren't capable(total sarcasm) of doing. It took my own troubleshooting to figure it out.

U

User_21361

Today's update: STAR case open with FCA. "Good news" is that another 2020 straight off the truck forom the factory has the same issue. No real end in sight right now. They did give me a rental this time around (2019 Big Horn) so I'm not really in a rush. The "Bad News" is that this problem is only likely to expand in blast radius given more and more trucks are being seen with it from the factory.

MCSandersbro

Reaction score
Today's update: STAR case open with FCA. "Good news" is that another 2020 straight off the truck forom the factory has the same issue. No real end in sight right now. They did give me a rental this time around (2019 Big Horn) so I'm not really in a rush. The "Bad News" is that this problem is only likely to expand in blast radius given more and more trucks are being seen with it from the factory.
Yeah I figured it’s going to end up being some sort of recall. If it’s a programming issue, it’s going to end up being a big problem.

U

User_21361

Just got an update. My truck will also require an engineer from FCA to come out and reprogram the truck. I did get some info from my dealer though. I was told that FCA has purposely disabled the tailgate ajar warning (as well as the cargo lights) on any new truck that does not have the 360 degree camera. This is due to the slew of issues (also seen on this forum) relating to the tailgate constantly saying it is open when you go over bumps. So now, the catch 22 is, do I re-enable the tailgate feature and risk having random warnings saying its open. They also suspect a recall will be coming down the pike for fixing the tailgate open issue. At that time, they will have to reprogram all of the new trucks to also have the cargo lights re-enabled. I find it fascinating that FCA had the dealer spend a week diagnosing and issue that they knowingly disabled. What a waste of time for all parties involved.

john94si

Reaction score
Just got an update. My truck will also require an engineer from FCA to come out and reprogram the truck. I did get some info from my dealer though. I was told that FCA has purposely disabled the tailgate ajar warning (as well as the cargo lights) on any new truck that does not have the 360 degree camera. This is due to the slew of issues (also seen on this forum) relating to the tailgate constantly saying it is open when you go over bumps. So now, the catch 22 is, do I re-enable the tailgate feature and risk having random warnings saying its open. They also suspect a recall will be coming down the pike for fixing the tailgate open issue. At that time, they will have to reprogram all of the new trucks to also have the cargo lights re-enabled. I find it fascinating that FCA had the dealer spend a week diagnosing and issue that they knowingly disabled. What a waste of time for all parties involved.
thank you for the update.. if you get your service ticket that validates this please share so i can take to my dealer. I have bed lights and i want them activated when i open the tailgate

kevin56

Reaction score
This is what I got at the dealer today, they wont look at it again until an 'official' fix is out. Consider yourself lucky I guess if your dealer will try to fix it

. IMG_3453.JPG

deanfx

Reaction score
My truck was telling me the tailgate was open from day one. I finally took it in after opening it and closing it for a few weeks. They said the latch inside the tailgate was bad and replaced it. No problems since. That's been about six months ago.

Zeeya

Reaction score
Thanks for updating. I have been traveling in W Texas and pull in at a gas stating and walk around back and my tail gate is down. Like...… Wow, kind of freaked me out since I carry Ice chest, floor jack and other items in the bed of the truck while out there..

kevin56

Reaction score
Curious if anyone has had this fixed or looked at lately, my dealer says they checked and there is no updates on it.

renzo2213

Reaction score
Curious if anyone has had this fixed or looked at lately, my dealer says they checked and there is no updates on it.

My truck is currently at the dealer getting a speaker replaced and some fan wind noise issue, and I asked about it. They looked into it and they said FCA is currently looking into a fix. So hopefully within the next decade they have a fix for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevin56

Reaction score
My truck is currently at the dealer getting a speaker replaced and some fan wind noise issue, and I asked about it. They looked into it and they said FCA is currently looking into a fix. So hopefully within the next decade they have a fix for it

Hopefully it doesnt turn into the quad headlight/wrong mirrors installed debacle like the early 4th gens where FCA simply said 'yea it says one thing on the window sticker but too bad if the wrong parts are on it' lol. Its not a huge deal but I would really like the bed lights to turn on when the tailgate is open like they are supposed to. Not to mention its nice to be warned if I drive away with the tailgate down. Some have had it fixed so it cant be too complicated.

renzo2213

Reaction score
Hopefully it doesnt turn into the quad headlight/wrong mirrors installed debacle like the early 4th gens where FCA simply said 'yea it says one thing on the window sticker but too bad if the wrong parts are on it' lol. Its not a huge deal but I would really like the bed lights to turn on when the tailgate is open like they are supposed to. Not to mention its nice to be warned if I drive away with the tailgate down. Some have had it fixed so it cant be too complicated.

My exact thoughts lol the tailgate opened and I drove away, 100% my fault because I pressed the tailgate release button instead of remote start button, and the truck was backed up against a wall so it scratched it. But, I wouldn’t have driven away knowing it was open. And it would be nice for the lights to come on automatically while it opens lol but I picked the truck up from the dealer and they said that FCA is working on a fix and that they know about it
35522eaa598e3f4a6db883be79022d96.jpg

ae0e8b0304d3b86dbb97660f13800ad5.jpg
ccf70e290e0f437688400061466d404f.jpg

RSZ

Reaction score
I have one of the last 2019 models built in late May of 2019. I could have sworn that the 2019 Ram had the tailgate warning. I was shopping Ford and GM trucks at the same time and thought maybe I was confused and the Ram didn't have the tailgate warning.

Stumble upon this thread, and my sanity has been restored.

Looking at my build sheet, it does indeed list Tailgate Ajar Warning Lamp.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The truck tells you the tailgate is down? Huh. Didn't realize that. One more thing to break.

I just figured when I walk up to the truck and the tailgate is down I would think "look, my tailgate is down". I didn't know I needed it to tell me. Glad there isn't a chime or beep to go with that.

U

User_21361

Not having a warning is now considered a "feature" by FCA and unlikely to be changed. You can re-enable it using AlfaODB (Lots of threads on that approach).

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The truck tells you the tailgate is down? Huh. Didn't realize that. One more thing to break.

I just figured when I walk up to the truck and the tailgate is down I would think "look, my tailgate is down". I didn't know I needed it to tell me. Glad there isn't a chime or beep to go with that.
I hear where you're coming from. And agree for the most part. I've owned a lot of pickups over the years, and never even considered that I might need that. But technology changes. Along with the ability to open the tailgate electronically comes the real possibility that it can open on its own, without you knowing. The tailgate damper means you won't hear or feel it if it happens while you're driving. If you have a bed cover you won't see that it's down in the rearview. It's only when you go to back up and happen to notice the back up camera is showing you the ground, will you notice that it's down. If you're like me and use the mirrors to back up, you could back the tailgate into something. Also, I back into my garage. I approach from the front of the truck when I go to get into my truck. I can't see the tailgate from that angle and would have no idea it was down.

Users who are viewing this thread