5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck Died & Wouldn't Start

gtab55

Reaction score
For about two weeks I would notice the battery suspiciously low and suddenly jump back up to it's normal level throughout driving. Over the weekend I had it sit for 48 hours and when I went to start Sunday, it wouldn't start at all. Figuring it had something to do with the battery, I put a charger on it and it finally cranked.

Monday I took it in to get looked at and it initially stumped the dealer. They deduced today that the alternator is bad and needing to be replaced. I've got 2100 miles on it and unfortunately the alternator is not readily available.

Not disappointed in the truck, but am a bit disappointed in FCA not allowing a loaner vehicle to my dealer. I called a much larger dealer here in Phoenix and they would give me one, albeit they're also 1.5 hours away with traffic. A bit disconcerting regarding no loaners.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Pretty sure FCA has nothing to do with a dealership's decision to offer or not offer a loaner.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pretty sure FCA has nothing to do with a dealership's decision to offer or not offer a loaner.
I tend to agree, my dealer has given me loaner/rental for minor issues just because they needed the truck for more time then expected without me even asking. They probably don't won't to do the extra paperwork.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

gtab55

Reaction score

That's what I had thought. Didn't make sense.

Still waiting to get it fixed. Parts were shipped Thursday. Apparently the alternator/starter was bad from the start and it's an unknown issue, thus the lack of readily available parts.

gtab55

Reaction score
Update:

Truck still not fixed. Dealer not sure of issue. Still refusing to give a loaner, saying it is FCA's decision.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Update:

Truck still not fixed. Dealer not sure of issue. Still refusing to give a loaner, saying it is FCA's decision.

Hi gtab55,

I sincerely apologize for the frustration associated with your situation. Please know that loaners are based on dealer availability, is loaner vehicles are handled at the dealer level and our dealers are independently owned. If you would be interested in an additional layer of support as you work with your dealer, I would be more than happy to escalate a case on your behalf. Our team is just a private message away to discuss this further.

Mark
RamCares

tyresmoker

Reaction score
No loaner makes absolutely no sense. Did you buy the truck there?

gtab55

Reaction score
No loaner makes absolutely no sense. Did you buy the truck there?

Yeah I bought the truck there. Further update: I am a BusinessLink customer and after calling FCA's Ram division explaining that a BusinessLink customer is promised a loaner per Ram's website, my dealer or FCA should provide one. They obliged and ended up giving me a 2020 Wrangler Unlimited.

I get the dealer is independent, but I'm still not satisfied with the way this has all turned out. And by the way, the truck is still in service due to unknown problems.

tyresmoker

Reaction score
Yeah I bought the truck there. Further update: I am a BusinessLink customer and after calling FCA's Ram division explaining that a BusinessLink customer is promised a loaner per Ram's website, my dealer or FCA should provide one. They obliged and ended up giving me a 2020 Wrangler Unlimited.

I get the dealer is independent, but I'm still not satisfied with the way this has all turned out. And by the way, the truck is still in service due to unknown problems.
Any updates? I just got back from a 100 mile highway trip and I am reading 12.8V at idle. this seems a bit low from my experience?

Roaminglost

Reaction score
Hey so this happened to my truck and it was a nightmare, but long story short. the starter ground bolt came loose and wouldnt start. they need to replace the bolt with a shorter one. they manufactured the bolt a but too long and when it rattles a bit loose (going offroad) the car will stay on till you turn it off and it wont start up.

FCA should know this is an issue by now.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Update from OP hopefully soon, with good news.

While I don't have a diesel, I've not been pleased with the resting voltage of my 19' hemi non ET, It's consistently at 12.2-12.3 even when driven enough. I make it a practice to use my 4 amp (barely enough) charger on it overnight, that brings it up to 12.8-12.9 ish, then the cycle repeats a week or two later.

Maybe the computer isn't allowing the alternator to charge enough cause' it may take another cup of gas... My Ferd had the same issues with batteries going dead. Lots of posts on the F150 forum about that.

tyresmoker

Reaction score
Update from OP hopefully soon, with good news.

While I don't have a diesel, I've not been pleased with the resting voltage of my 19' hemi non ET, It's consistently at 12.2-12.3 even when driven enough. I make it a practice to use my 4 amp (barely enough) charger on it overnight, that brings it up to 12.8-12.9 ish, then the cycle repeats a week or two later.

Maybe the computer isn't allowing the alternator to charge enough cause' it may take another cup of gas... My Ferd had the same issues with batteries going dead. Lots of posts on the F150 forum about that.
Agree, pretty convinced that it is a controlled charge from the module to the alternator. I guess I am still a bit old school, thinking the alternator would be providing a constant charge..!?!

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Agree, pretty convinced that it is a controlled charge from the module to the alternator. I guess I am still a bit old school, thinking the alternator would be providing a constant charge..!?!
Coming from Ferd where they've had a "battery management system" since like 2011, the old school ways are gone. Seems that nowadays the computer tells the alternator when to charge, and in an effort to maximize fuel mileage, it stops the "drag" from the alternator until the battery really needs it. All to save what? A tenth of a mpg? Sad. Over at Ferd there were so many dead batteries that they had to replace, you'd think the cost-benefit ratio would have dictated otherwise but no, CAFE requirements rule.

gtab55

Reaction score
Update 2-26-2020:

A new ECM was installed (according to dealer) and the truck is still not charging. A new starter, alternator, and now ECM have been put in and no idea what's causing it.

Day 16

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Update 2-26-2020:

A new ECM was installed (according to dealer) and the truck is still not charging. A new starter, alternator, and now ECM have been put in and no idea what's causing it.

Day 16
Sheesh, other than a wiring short or a defective ground I'd have no idea what that could be. Sorry for your issues, that's a rare one...

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
A quick Google (not that it will help since it's a dealer issue): https://www.2carpros.com/questions/not-charging

Original post:
"New battery, alternator, and voltage regulator but truck will not charge. Cleaned all grounds under the hood. Also, replaced negative battery cable."
Replies from a mechanic followed, you might want to read them.

2nd one to read: https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/...scussion/2476537-alternator-not-charging.html (from 2018)

Not saying these are your issue but hey, it's info.

Last edited by a moderator:

NC Rebel

Reaction score
I just received a recall notification from the Ram app, says I need to schedule to have the ground bolt replaced or checked? Could this be the low voltage issue some of you are having?

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure if mine is related to this or not since they haven't looked at it yet but are hoping to look at it this afternoon. Had it towed to the dealer on Tuesday and waiting to see what the issue is. The 12v battery was reading 8.9v on the voltmeter and then also when trying to jump start it the starter keeps going but the engine won't start almost like the computer is not allowing it to spark or get gasoline. I hope they figure it out soon.... My dealership also doesn't do loaners and sends you out to Enterprise rent a car which is a bigger waste of time and even more inconvenient.

RamCares

Reaction score
I just received a recall notification from the Ram app, says I need to schedule to have the ground bolt replaced or checked? Could this be the low voltage issue some of you are having?

Hey, NC Rebel. Please ensure you have your recall addressed as soon as possible. If you need any assistance, send us a private message.

Kate
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread