5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck BRAKES itself while in reverse with tailgate DOWN. How can I disable this?

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
My truck BRAKES automatically when I try to go in reverse with the tailgate down (like when I had a 4’ x 7’ piece of plywood in my bed today). I needed to back out of a driveway and it would not allow me to do it. Couldn’t believe it lol. Had to take out all the different wood I had back there and lift the tailgate. I think it assumes the pavement is “behind” my truck and I am going to back up into it.

Same thing happens when I drive my truck in reverse down my steep driveway. Tailgate is up, but it senses I am going to “bottom out” when I really won’t and it BRAKES automatically. I have to turn around in my drive way and drive forward out of my driveway due to this, which is a pain.

Another instance of this type of thing happening is when I have my door open to see better (not using my mirrors) to see where my tires are on the driveway just before the grass. In that instance, however, it automatically puts the truck in PARK. Would like to know how I can disable this as well?

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck BRAKES automatically when I try to go in reverse with the tailgate down (like when I had a 4’ x 7’ piece of plywood in my bed today). I needed to back out of a driveway and it would not allow me to do it. Couldn’t believe it lol. Had to take out all the different wood I had back there and lift the tailgate. I think it assumes the pavement is “behind” my truck and I am going to back up into it.

Same thing happens when I drive my truck in reverse down my steep driveway. Tailgate is up, but it senses I am going to “bottom out” when I really won’t and it BRAKES automatically. I have to turn around in my drive way and drive forward out of my driveway due to this, which is a pain.

Another instance of this type of thing happening is when I have my door open to see better (not using my mirrors) to see where my tires are on the driveway just before the grass. In that instance, however, it automatically puts the truck in PARK. Would like to know how I can disable this as well?

All this has been covered in detail all over the forum, and in the owners manual, just fyi.

But to answer your question(s)

You can turn off the rear park assist quickly by using the toggle switches labeled for exactly that on your dashboard. Or you can disable the automatic emergency braking in reverse in the Uconnect settings permanently.

The steep driveway thing is just a function of how the system works, it's picking up the change in grade with the sonar sensors and misinterpreting it as an obstacle. You can either drive slowly, or choose one of the options from above.

The last thing is not something you can change. When the vehicle notices that you are not wearing your seat belt with the door open and the transmission in any gear other than park it will automatically choose park and set the emergency brake. The solution is to buckle your seat belt or lean out the window.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
All this has been covered in detail all over the forum, and in the owners manual, just fyi.

You can turn off the rear park assist quickly by using the toggle switches labeled for exactly that on your dashboard. Or you can disable the automatic emergency braking in reverse in the Uconnect settings permanently.

The steep driveway thing is just a function of how the system works, it's picking up the change in grade with the sonar sensors and misinterpreting it as an obstacle. You can either drive slowly, or choose one of the options from above.

The last thing is not something you can change. When the vehicle notices that you are not wearing your seat belt with the door open and the transmission in any gear other than park it will automatically choose park and set the emergency brake. The solution is to buckle your seat belt or lean out the window.
I am terrible at navigation forums. I wish I knew how to find said information myself, but thank you for letting me know anyway.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am terrible at navigation forums. I wish I knew how to find said information myself, but thank you for letting me know anyway.

Top right corner of the screen, big white search bar...

Also this: You should have a paper or electronic copy available with your truck. I bookmarked this link in my internet browser so I can pull it up quickly, plus it's searchable too, (and has the old school search items like a table of contents, and an index)

deanfx

Reaction score
Check this vid out as well. Good info and cool fix.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
Check this vid out as well. Good info and cool fix.

Lots of filler. Skipped through. Did not see anything in relation to my concerns. Compared to my Alfa Romeo, the backup camera is flawless in the RAM. Absolutely flawlessly. Did I miss something skipping through?

deanfx

Reaction score
Lots of filler. Skipped through. Did not see anything in relation to my concerns. Compared to my Alfa Romeo, the backup camera is flawless in the RAM. Absolutely flawlessly. Did I miss something skipping through?
Nah, I posted the wrong video. But this guy turned that feature off and backed into something waiting on the alert from the truck.

Last edited:

o0Gryphon0o

Reaction score

I feel for you, I don't mind the backup sensors but the "Auto Braking feature" has bounced my head off the headrest a time or two so i just went into the Uconnect and turned it off, i do however leave the back proximity sensors on.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
I feel for you, I don't mind the backup sensors but the "Auto Braking feature" has bounced my head off the headrest a time or two so i just went into the Uconnect and turned it off, i do however leave the back proximity sensors on.
Oh cool so you can keep the beeping on but turn the automatic braking off? I have not dabbled yet, but man I love this truck for work. Been doing all sorts of stuff this week and it hasn’t let me down yet. Finally figured out where business cards go in the center console lol

o0Gryphon0o

Reaction score
Oh cool so you can keep the beeping on but turn the automatic braking off? I have not dabbled yet, but man I love this truck for work. Been doing all sorts of stuff this week and it hasn’t let me down yet. Finally figured out where business cards go in the center console lol
When you decide to dabble you will find it here: Apps > Settings > Safety and Driving Assistance. Un tick the box for "Rear ParkSense Braking Assist", if interested the volume controls for your front and rear proximity sensors are right above that. Hope this helps, enjoy.

jokal

Reaction score
I haven't contracted my dealer yet, but the automatic breaking in these trucks seems half baked and extremely dangerous. I bought my truck on 6/17, and had issues from day 1. It slams the breaks when backing up or down my slightly inclined driveway. Yesterday I had to turn off the forward collision breaking. I was driving around 5 mph in a parking garage and the truck slammed on the breaks and someone almost rear-ended me. I've had other vehicles with this technology and the same driveway and parking garage were not a problem.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
I haven't contracted my dealer yet, but the automatic breaking in these trucks seems half baked and extremely dangerous. I bought my truck on 6/17, and had issues from day 1. It slams the breaks when backing up or down my slightly inclined driveway. Yesterday I had to turn off the forward collision breaking. I was driving around 5 mph in a parking garage and the truck slammed on the breaks and someone almost rear-ended me. I've had other vehicles with this technology and the same driveway and parking garage were not a problem.
Let me know if you hear anything. I see a recall coming lol

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you adjust the sensitivity of the forward collision warning so it's not so touchy? I put mine to the least sensitive setting and have never had an issue

56 Pontiac

Reaction score

Thanks! I find the pdf of the owners manual hard to navigate, appreciate your pointing out the solution (to a problem I too have had)

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread