5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission stuck in first gear

SacRebel

Reaction score
On my way home from work I was a stop light and when it turned green I accelerated to go and the truck never shifted out of first gear. The RPMs shot up so I slowed down and pulled over to the side. I then proceeded to go again and it did the same thing. So I pulled into a shopping center and stopped for a minute. I put the truck in reverse and it worked fine. So I put it back into drive and it drove normally the rest of the way home. No idiot lights and I drove it hard the rest of the way to see if I could get it to do the same thing again.

Obviously this means another fricken trip to the dealership. I am so sick and tired of problems with this truck and the ****-pour 12 mpg gas mileage after spending an extra $2,500 to buy the HEMI with eTorque. What a joke!

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
That happened once to me when I first bought the truck. I pulled over, turned it off and thought “oh great here we go with problems.” 22,000 miles later and it hasn’t happened since. Good luck.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
I know when that happened to me that certainly could have been a possibility!

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^^This...Guaranteed, owner hit the downshift button on steering wheel while it was still in 1st gear, which caused truck to automatically lock "1" as the gear of choice. If you hit downshift while the truck is in 6th gear, truck will assume you want to be locked in "6" so thats the gear it selects. Same for all the gears...If you're in it, hit the downshift, thats the default gear it selects.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
On my way home from work I was a stop light and when it turned green I accelerated to go and the truck never shifted out of first gear. The RPMs shot up so I slowed down and pulled over to the side. I then proceeded to go again and it did the same thing. So I pulled into a shopping center and stopped for a minute. I put the truck in reverse and it worked fine. So I put it back into drive and it drove normally the rest of the way home. No idiot lights and I drove it hard the rest of the way to see if I could get it to do the same thing again.

Obviously this means another fricken trip to the dealership. I am so sick and tired of problems with this truck and the ****-pour 12 mpg gas mileage after spending an extra $2,500 to buy the HEMI with eTorque. What a joke!

You most definitely accidentally set the gear limit buttons on the steering wheel. If you are at a stop and pressed the minus button, your gear limit would be first gear. If you did it accidentally in 8th gear, you gear limit would have been 8th gear and you would not have noticed a thing. If you do press the gear limit button on the steering wheel, it will appear in your gauge on the right of the PRND symbols. Play around with the buttons at a stop, you will see how they work.

The reason why it fixed it self after you put it in reverse is that the gear limit selector automatically turns off if you change the gear selector (i.e. switch to reverse, park or drive) or turn off/on the truck.

Hdauceda157

Reaction score

Don’t blame it on user error quite yet, I have a 2019 bighorn 4x4 and my transmission is already f***ed at 5500 miles. The truck will stick in gear, the clutch will slip on the highway, check engine light will turn on and turn off as it pleases and i have to get a new trans now, so you might want to run codes and have them inspect it soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online