5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission randomly shifts into neutral and shows error to shift into Park then back to Drive

Meetis

Reaction score
I’ve been having issues with my transmission going into neutral when I drive, usually happens at lowers speed when slowing down and in the first 5-10 minutes after start. It shows error to shift into park then back in drive. I went to dealership and they said they updated system and I shouldn’t have problems but still same issue again. I went again and they can’t find any error codes in the system. I bought 7yr unlimited miles warranty but not sure how to push to get something done about it. Anybody else have or had this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loudram

Reaction score
What are the details of your truck? Year, engine, and type (1500, 2500, 3500) would help a little.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How is the condition of your battery? I know another poster here had some sort of similar issue, but after replacing his battery it went away. Even if your battery is still holding charge and starting, if it's old it could be effecting the electrical system. These trucks are sensitive to a old/weak battery.

Meetis

Reaction score
How is the condition of your battery? I know another poster here had some sort of similar issue, but after replacing his battery it went away. Even if your battery is still holding charge and starting, if it's old it could be effecting the electrical system. These trucks are sensitive to a old/weak battery.

Battery is fairly new, was replaced about 20k miles ago. System shows it all good

Meetis

Reaction score
I also have weird hissing sound when I accelerate, its not constant but it happens when I hit the pedal and accelerate faster, the faster acceleration the louder it is. At lower gears, when I get to 6-8 I don’t hear it, not sure if fuel pump can make that noise. And truck only makes noises when I’m moving, if I’m idling and pushing the pedal, no noise

Last edited:

Meetis

Reaction score

And this started when I had 30k miles, I’m at almost 80k miles now.. procrastination 🫣

Loudram

Reaction score
I got nothing, sorry. You might have to leave it at the dealership overnight so they can take it for a test drive before the truck has a chance to warm up.

Meetis

Reaction score
Honestly I feel like I just want to sell this truck and never buy RAM again. I finally got a chance to drop it off at the dealership to get this problem and many more fixed, here is the list:

1. Car shifts into neutral randomly when you drive and requires you to stop and shift in park before shifting into drive again. Almost got into an accident 3 or 4 times when making a left turn and truck shifts into neutral and upcoming traffic is headed right at me.
2. wind deflector gets stuck in lower position and will not go back.
3. Cranking Noise when turning wheels and scratching of lower arm and steering knuckle
4. Rear window leaking, have stain all over the rear interior
5. Hissing sound when accelerating
6. Oil leaking all over
7. Windshield washer fluid pressure low

Truck been sitting at dealer for 2 weeks now and I just was told that it’s gonna be another 2 weeks before then can fix it.

Dealership is fixing majority of the issues since I have Maximum Care Plan but surprisingly my read window leak is NOT covered. I don’t understand the logic on this honestly. All I can says is that it’s poor workmanship that something didn’t last past 3 years and leaking water.
Dealer tried to tell me that oil leak is not covered either due to sand in the gasket and attempted to blame me for off-roading. Called Mopar and they verbally authorized, now just need to explain to dealer that really does not feel like they are there for a customer.

Hopeful issue 1 goes away, that was main concern. Cause for the issue 3 is still unknown.

2 weeks without a truck, another 2 weeks to wait for it to be fixed hopefully and all that Maximum Care covers is 5 days of car rental. What am I supposed to do the rest of the time? That’s right, look for a better truck and company to purchase next time.

Meetis

Reaction score
My dealer is absolutely horrible. They don’t want to do anything, my advisor just says it’s not covered without even looking into problem. I called Mopar and they approved seal on transmission but not a window. And dealer won’t do it without charging me. I might just do it myself with high grade sealant. T

So they changed my shifted knob assembly and I’m waiting to see if I will have shifter issue again.

One thing they still did not fix is lower arm scratching on wheel knuckle, dealer stated “it’s normal”, is that even ok to say that? 2 parts of car scratch on each other and they say it’s normal.
7f26620c6345d4b0fbd7188483eff94e.jpg

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One thing they still did not fix is lower arm scratching on wheel knuckle, dealer stated “it’s normal”, is that even ok to say that? 2 parts of car scratch on each other and they say it’s normal.
That is normal.

chrisnorthnj

Reaction score
I get this when I'm parking sometimes. I'll stop the car, and when I switch it to reverse to back into a spot, It'll be effectively in neutral and the gear indicator is flashing with that message on the screen about shifting back to park first. I always assumed it was because I switched to reverse while it was doing it's eco stop/start thing because the speed got down the 0. Luckily hasn't happened while moving yet.

Meetis

Reaction score
That is normal.

How is that normal? Can I get your input on this [mention]RamCares [/mention], is that normal that lower arm is getting in contact with knuckle? See picture I posted above

U

User_128758

I just registered to get info on the transmission slipping. Purchased a 2022 1500 Laramie with 10k miles on it and 2 incidents in past 3 months of complete slippage. 1. Was brief backing up slow speed. Wasn't actually sure it happened. 2. 2 days ago, pulling into busy highway from stop. Car pulled forward then went into neutral. RPM's revving, no warning lights, then about 30 seconds later dropped into gear and kept going. Dealership kept asking if I touched the shifter paddles. That is irrelevant. It didn't go into low gear, it went into neutral.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Car pulled forward then went into neutral. RPM's revving, no warning lights, then about 30 seconds later dropped into gear and kept going.
You pulled out into a "busy highway" from a stop, the trans "slipped" or went into "neutral" for 30 seconds and then magic happened and you didn't get in an accident? A) it wasn't 30 seconds B) it wasn't a busy highway.

U

User_128758

You pulled out into a "busy highway" from a stop, the trans "slipped" or went into "neutral" for 30 seconds and then magic happened and you didn't get in an accident? A) it wasn't 30 seconds B) it wasn't a busy highway.
It was 30 seconds and your comment is completely useless.
The truck continued to roll and I went over to the left shoulder allowing the cars in the right lane to continue. This just in ..not all hwy's are 4 lanes with clover leafs.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It was 30 seconds and your comment is completely useless.
The truck continued to roll and I went over to the left shoulder allowing the cars in the right lane to continue. This just in ..not all hwy's are 4 lanes with clover leafs.
So it didn't slip... that's good

jwnelson3

Reaction score
I’ve been having issues with my transmission going into neutral when I drive, usually happens at lowers speed when slowing down and in the first 5-10 minutes after start. It shows error to shift into park then back in drive. I went to dealership and they said they updated system and I shouldn’t have problems but still same issue again. I went again and they can’t find any error codes in the system. I bought 7yr unlimited miles warranty but not sure how to push to get something done about it. Anybody else have or had this issue?

I have the same exact issue, Happens when I leave hone and reach a stop sign a mile away. 2019 Bighorn 2WD

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
This has happened to me but only a twice in 4 years. And that was only recently in the last 2 months. In this time they have repaved and installed some speed bumps on a main road through my neighborhood. I have never seen speed bumps like these before. They are rather steep on the ascending slope but are only about 4 inches high by 2/3 the lane width by about 6 feet. So I have to slow way down like less that 5 mph but only one side of my vehicle goes over the bump. The side closest to the center of the road (2 lane road). On two occurrences the truck shifted into neutral and gave me the error you listed. But I didnt have to go into Park, just Neutral then back to Drive. I travel on this road twice a day to and from work. There are a total of 3 of these speed bumps. Anyways thats my story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online