5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission Not Dropping Into Gear Until Brake Release

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks. Supposedly my dealer opened a Star case. They think its a software issue and are waiting for an update. It's just seems weird that it shifts into gear when cold, yet the transmission temp only goes up a few degrees before it stops working correctly. Seems more attributed to movement than temperature.
I wonder if there's a sensor that is sending or receiving inaccurate info, like maybe as it warms slightly it creates an open circuit. Just a WAG, obviously.

Also, did you have this problem before the dealer installed the trailer brake controller?

Bavet

Reaction score
I wonder if there's a sensor that is sending or receiving inaccurate info, like maybe as it warms slightly it creates an open circuit. Just a WAG, obviously.

Also, did you have this problem before the dealer installed the trailer brake controller?
Yes. It has been a problem since day one of ownership.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks. Supposedly my dealer opened a Star case. They think its a software issue and are waiting for an update. It's just seems weird that it shifts into gear when cold, yet the transmission temp only goes up a few degrees before it stops working correctly. Seems more attributed to movement than temperature.
Greetings,
We're sorry to hear that you have these concerns. If you are in need of additional support while in service, please let us know via PM. We can certainly have a case escalated for additional assistance while in service.

Rob
Ram Cares
@RamCares might be able to help?
Thank you for the tag!

Rob
Ram Cares

Bavet

Reaction score
Just an update after playing around a bit. I have a GT so I have the console shifter as well as paddle shifters on the steering wheel. My truck drops into gear normally when I shift to Sport mode or if I turn on Tow/Haul mode. Meaning if I am in Park and shift to Reverse or Drive in normal mode, my transmission will not drop into gear until I release the brake. But under the same conditions and shift into Reverse or Drive, then move the shifter to Sport mode or turn on Tow/Haul mode, the transmission will drop into gear like normal.

I think it has something to do with the Start/Stop system. With these 2022's shutting down before the truck comes to a stop, doesn't that mean that the driveline has to be disconnected from the engine to allow the truck to roll to a stop while the engine is off? Then when you take your foot off the brake the engine restarts and the driveline is engaged once more. Just a thought!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just an update after playing around a bit. I have a GT so I have the console shifter as well as paddle shifters on the steering wheel. My truck drops into gear normally when I shift to Sport mode or if I turn on Tow/Haul mode. Meaning if I am in Park and shift to Reverse or Drive in normal mode, my transmission will not drop into gear until I release the brake. But under the same conditions and shift into Reverse or Drive, then move the shifter to Sport mode or turn on Tow/Haul mode, the transmission will drop into gear like normal.

I think it has something to do with the Start/Stop system. With these 2022's shutting down before the truck comes to a stop, doesn't that mean that the driveline has to be disconnected from the engine to allow the truck to roll to a stop while the engine is off? Then when you take your foot off the brake the engine restarts and the driveline is engaged once more. Just a thought!
The vehicle doesn't stop the motor going from park to drive.
When I go from park to drive i'm in gear before I let go of my break.

Keep in mine your paddle shifters are manually shifting, that is different then a regular 1500. We can't shift manually even with our gear selector buttons, we can just select the maximum gear allowed. With the paddle shifters and even the manual shifting on the console shifter you are forcing it to change gears, not setting the maximum gear.

The shifters them self are electronic, there is no actual wire so it would be a software problem if you are able to get it to work properly using the paddle shifters or console shifter.

Bavet

Reaction score
The vehicle doesn't stop the motor going from park to drive.
When I go from park to drive i'm in gear before I let go of my break.

Keep in mine your paddle shifters are manually shifting, that is different then a regular 1500. We can't shift manually even with our gear selector buttons, we can just select the maximum gear allowed. With the paddle shifters and even the manual shifting on the console shifter you are forcing it to change gears, not setting the maximum gear.

The shifters them self are electronic, there is no actual wire so it would be a software problem if you are able to get it to work properly using the paddle shifters or console shifter.
Yes, I understand all that. I want my truck to act like yours when I shift from Park to Drive. Just trying to get as much info to give my dealer for service. Thanks for your help and please continue to offer any thoughts.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes, I understand all that. I want my truck to act like yours when I shift from Park to Drive. Just trying to get as much info to give my dealer for service. Thanks for your help and please continue to offer any thoughts.
Just re-read the thread.

So to be clear the first problem you're having is the truck isn't going from park into gear until after releasing the brake pedal.
You think it might be part of the start-stop feature of the eTorque generator.
What happens if you disable start stop before you go into drive on a cold start (does the LED on the start-stop button light up or stay dark?)

Assuming your trans oil is fine and at a decent level, and your pump is functional it sounds like you need an update or a re-flash for the TCM if they say it's already at the correct version.
I just watched a video on how to check the tras oil and man it is it a procedure, no way I would try that.
. I would push to have the TCM replaced or re-flashed at least.

A second problem is you are not happy with the start-stop performance and turning off too soon. That one sounds like it's working as designed and for you it's just not going to work the way you want to be happy with it.

Bavet

Reaction score
Just re-read the thread.

So to be clear the first problem you're having is the truck isn't going from park into gear until after releasing the brake pedal.
You think it might be part of the start-stop feature of the eTorque generator.
What happens if you disable start stop before you go into drive on a cold start (does the LED on the start-stop button light up or stay dark?)

Assuming your trans oil is fine and at a decent level, and your pump is functional it sounds like you need an update or a re-flash for the TCM if they say it's already at the correct version.
I just watched a video on how to check the tras oil and man it is it a procedure, no way I would try that.
. I would push to have the TCM replaced or re-flashed at least.

A second problem is you are not happy with the start-stop performance and turning off too soon. That one sounds like it's working as designed and for you it's just not going to work the way you want to be happy with it.
Disabling the Stop/Start has no affect. My button works correctly. The only reason I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the Stop/Start is because the 2022 version, I'm assuming, has to disconnect the driveline for it to roll with the engine off. Then it all engages when I let off the brake. And the Stop/Start will not function until the engine is warmed as well as other factors. So I'm thinking it's a software bug now. The engine is running but the driveline is not engaged until I let off the brake.

And yes, I dislike the new version of eTorgue Stop/Start. Having driven my 2019 for three years and loving the system on that one, this new one has diminished my driving pleasure and now I wish I would not have gotten the system with my new truck. Now it's just a pain in the *ss.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm assuming, has to disconnect the driveline for it to roll with the engine off.
The engine doesn't need to be running for the truck to roll when in gear. The only way to disconnect the drive line would be to shift into neutral. I'm not sure of the details of the differences they made to the stop/start system for '22, but I'm confident that temporarily disconnecting the drive line isn't one of them.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The engine doesn't need to be running for the truck to roll when in gear. The only way to disconnect the drive line would be to shift into neutral. I'm not sure of the details of the differences they made to the stop/start system for '22, but I'm confident that temporarily disconnecting the drive line isn't one of them.
I'm not 100% sure either, but they claim the first half turn after start-stop is only the electric motor not the gas engine so if the drive line was disconnected wouldn't that not work they way they claim?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure either, but they claim the first half turn after start-stop is only the electric motor not the gas engine so if the drive line was disconnected wouldn't that not work they way they claim?
It seems like a really bad idea to shut the engine down before the truck is stopped, but it is what it is. I can live with how my '21 operates when I have it active. But if I have the option not to, I will not be getting etorque on any future Ram trucks I buy.

Bavet

Reaction score
In my mind it would engage the driveline at the same time it restarts. It's all electronic. Some people on here are complaining that there is a big jerk sometimes when the Stop/Start restarts during a slow roll. I've experienced this myself once or twice. To me, that's an abrupt engagement of the driveline. But I'm just guessing. This doesn't seem to be a simple system to understand.

Bavet

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be possible for it to be programmed to shift into Neutral? I guess I'm thinking of manual transmissions. When your battery was dead you get the car rolling and pop the clutch to turn over your engine and start it.

Bavet

Reaction score
It seems like a really bad idea to shut the engine down before the truck is stopped, but it is what it is. I can live with how my '21 operates when I have it active. But if I have the option not to, I will not be getting etorque on any future Ram trucks I buy.
I'm with you. I wouldn't have gotten it if I'd known. I liked it on my 2019.

Users who are viewing this thread