5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission Not Dropping Into Gear Until Brake Release

Bavet

Reaction score
Trying to find out if anyone else has/had this issue and how it was fixed. My 2022 Laramie GT does not drop into gear when I shift from P to R or P to D when the truck is warm. It doesn't drop into gear until the brake pedal is halfway released. After that it always stays in gear and drives normally. It always drops into gear on a cold start but not when warm. When I shift into a gear from Park, I should feel the load on the driveline and maybe see a small tach drop. But my truck clunks abruptly into gear as the brake pedal is being released somewhere about half way. Any help would be appreciated. I have shown my dealer this and they agree it is not operating correctly but they do not have a solution yet. I'm wondering if its a fluid level problem.

Anarki

Reaction score
2022 GT Laramie here, and I noticed the opposite. The truck will hold park on cold start until half brake release then clunk into gear, however warm starts are way smoother.

Bavet

Reaction score
2022 GT Laramie here, and I noticed the opposite. The truck will hold park on cold start until half brake release then clunk into gear, however warm starts are way smoother.
Interesting! I would prefer it your way and it would make more sense to me.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I know it's a very small sample, but so far it looks like everyone with issues in this thread has the etorque Hemi. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the changes they made to the etorque system for '22 models.

Bavet

Reaction score
I know it's a very small sample, but so far it looks like everyone with issues in this thread has the etorque Hemi. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the changes they made to the etorque system for '22 models.
I liked eTorque on my 2019. I do not like it on my 2022. If I would have known they where going to ruin it like this I would not have gotten it.

Anarki

Reaction score
I'm not too worried about it, all vehicles have their quirks. For example there are people on this forum who hate the 22s that auto stop the engine before the truck comes to a stop. I don't mind that much because I also drive a manual sports car and it feels the same when coming to a stop with the car out of gear.

Bavet

Reaction score
I'm not too worried about it, all vehicles have their quirks. For example there are people on this forum who hate the 22s that auto stop the engine before the truck comes to a stop. I don't mind that much because I also drive a manual sports car and it feels the same when coming to a stop with the car out of gear.
When I put my truck into gear I actually expect it to be in gear and have control over the movement of the vehicle. I was in a position last week where my parking space was in a very tight spot and I had to make a four point turn to back out. It was a bit stressful shifting back and forth but not being in gear until I'm half off the brake and the truck lunges at the parked car behind me. If it would drop into gear like a normal vehicle I would have full control by feathering the brake pedal.

I'm also one of the people who hate the 2022 Start/Stop. I wish it worked like my 2019. I'm sorry but unless you turn off your sports car before it comes to a stop, it's not the same thing. You choose to take it out of gear, but your engine is still running. If the truck is still moving the engine should remain running, period! Kinda defeats the gas saving feature of Stop/Start if your truck has to restart a couple times before you find your final parking position like pulling into a garage. Or when you come to a stop but the truck shuts off before you get it into Park but as soon as you put it into park the engine starts again. Rolling stops are impossible. Of course I can always turn it off, which I do frequently, but I shouldn't have to. It worked perfectly on my 2019.

Anarki

Reaction score
I definitely do not have the issue you just said above about 3 pointing into a spot, as I do that quite often into tight spots as well. I'm not sure what to say tbh except it's not normal... perhaps a dealer can see something in the logs and help?

As far as the stop/start, sure I can understand how an engine being on vs off can be a differentiator, however the feeling I get when coming to a stop in both vehicles is the same, hence it doesn't bother me. ymmv of course!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
When I put my truck into gear I actually expect it to be in gear and have control over the movement of the vehicle. I was in a position last week where my parking space was in a very tight spot and I had to make a four point turn to back out. It was a bit stressful shifting back and forth but not being in gear until I'm half off the brake and the truck lunges at the parked car behind me. If it would drop into gear like a normal vehicle I would have full control by feathering the brake pedal.

I'm also one of the people who hate the 2022 Start/Stop. I wish it worked like my 2019. I'm sorry but unless you turn off your sports car before it comes to a stop, it's not the same thing. You choose to take it out of gear, but your engine is still running. If the truck is still moving the engine should remain running, period! Kinda defeats the gas saving feature of Stop/Start if your truck has to restart a couple times before you find your final parking position like pulling into a garage. Or when you come to a stop but the truck shuts off before you get it into Park but as soon as you put it into park the engine starts again. Rolling stops are impossible. Of course I can always turn it off, which I do frequently, but I shouldn't have to. It worked perfectly on my 2019.
Just hit the button to disable it when you go to park.
I don't have that problem ever, i'm not sure the truck ever turned off while I was parking.

I frequently toggle between allowing and disabling it.
If i'm doing city driving and stop lights and stuff ill leave it on.
If i'm driving with stop signs or need to quickly weave in and out of traffic during rush hour I will turn it off so I have the response I need.

It does stop before I am at a complete stop but somehow it really knows if I don't want to stop. I think it only stopped once when I didn't want it to and to be fair the red light turned green when I was sub 3mph and there's no way the system could of knew the light was going to turn green.

No system is perfect, but this system compared to the other start-stop of other manufactures makes Ram's implementation seem perfect despite it not being so.

Go test drive a Chevy with start-stop and let us know how you feel about the Ram.

Also you can get this cable to keep start-stop disabled if that's the only mod you want to do.

Bavet

Reaction score
Just hit the button to disable it when you go to park.
I don't have that problem ever, i'm not sure the truck ever turned off while I was parking.

I frequently toggle between allowing and disabling it.
If i'm doing city driving and stop lights and stuff ill leave it on.
If i'm driving with stop signs or need to quickly weave in and out of traffic during rush hour I will turn it off so I have the response I need.

It does stop before I am at a complete stop but somehow it really knows if I don't want to stop. I think it only stopped once when I didn't want it to and to be fair the red light turned green when I was sub 3mph and there's no way the system could of knew the light was going to turn green.

No system is perfect, but this system compared to the other start-stop of other manufactures makes Ram's implementation seem perfect despite it not being so.

Go test drive a Chevy with start-stop and let us know how you feel about the Ram.

Also you can get this cable to keep start-stop disabled if that's the only mod you want to do.
Thanks for the reply. I don't have to compare the Ram Start/Stop to a Chevy because I'm comparing it to my 2019 Ram 1500 with eTorque that worked much better than the one on my 2022. It worked better because it didn't anticipate a stop, it actually waited until I was stopped. I understand I can turn it off, and I do, but I shouldn't have to every time I slowly pull into my garage. Kinda defeats the purpose and certainly doesn't save gas when it restarts a couple times. Once when pulling in and once when shifting to Park. My 2019 did not function this way.

I hope this thread doesn't turn into a Stop/Start thread. I really would like to see if anybody else is having the same problem I am with my transmission.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I don't have to compare the Ram Start/Stop to a Chevy because I'm comparing it to my 2019 Ram 1500 with eTorque that worked much better than the one on my 2022. It worked better because it didn't anticipate a stop, it actually waited until I was stopped. I understand I can turn it off, and I do, but I shouldn't have to every time I slowly pull into my garage. Kinda defeats the purpose and certainly doesn't save gas when it restarts a couple times. Once when pulling in and once when shifting to Park. My 2019 did not function this way.

I hope this thread doesn't turn into a Stop/Start thread. I really would like to see if anybody else is having the same problem I am with my transmission.
I have had it turn off while parking going into a spot. I don't think it really bothers me as I back up 99% of the time and it doesn't do start stop in reverse as far as I can tell.

It is very annoying to pull in, it turns off, put it in park, it turns back on, hit button and it turns off.
I almost think it would be nice if it's off and you engage park for the engine to stay off unless you hit the peddle.

I like that it stops before I completely come to a stop but because it does that not sure how you could pull in and park without it shutting off unless you threw it in neutral and coasted in. Even if it used sensors how would it know you are parking vs getting behind another car at a stop light? Can't have the best of both worlds I guess.

Anarki

Reaction score

Sorry about that, I may have squirrelled a little!

So since I've started this convo with you, I've been paying more attention to the behavior while going into gear and releasing the brake in the morning. I do have to say I have to give the truck a solid 5-7 count before I feel a VERY subtle jerk to let me know it's in gear, I then ease off the brake and it's normal. I find if I'm impatient or in a hurry in the morning and don't wait, it will jerk into gear when I let off the brake.

I'm still needing to do move observations while doing errands, will probably have more during the weekend while I work on projects.

Bavet

Reaction score
Sorry about that, I may have squirrelled a little!

So since I've started this convo with you, I've been paying more attention to the behavior while going into gear and releasing the brake in the morning. I do have to say I have to give the truck a solid 5-7 count before I feel a VERY subtle jerk to let me know it's in gear, I then ease off the brake and it's normal. I find if I'm impatient or in a hurry in the morning and don't wait, it will jerk into gear when I let off the brake.

I'm still needing to do move observations while doing errands, will probably have more during the weekend while I work on projects.
Thanks. If i just get in and go the truck acts normal because it all happens so fast. It's only when I have to be slow and careful that it really becomes a problem. One of the manager's truck at my dealer acts as mine does and he finds it concerning. Hopefully he can help get a response from Ram.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks. If i just get in and go the truck acts normal because it all happens so fast. It's only when I have to be slow and careful that it really becomes a problem. One of the manager's truck at my dealer acts as mine does and he finds it concerning. Hopefully he can help get a response from Ram.
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a few hours to have the truck relearn your driving style?

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sounds like maybe an electronic synchronization issue? My GT has performed flawlessly this far, hopefully the dealer can fix yours quickly and easily

Bavet

Reaction score
Sounds like maybe an electronic synchronization issue? My GT has performed flawlessly this far, hopefully the dealer can fix yours quickly and easily
Thanks. Supposedly my dealer opened a Star case. They think its a software issue and are waiting for an update. It's just seems weird that it shifts into gear when cold, yet the transmission temp only goes up a few degrees before it stops working correctly. Seems more attributed to movement than temperature.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks. Supposedly my dealer opened a Star case. They think its a software issue and are waiting for an update. It's just seems weird that it shifts into gear when cold, yet the transmission temp only goes up a few degrees before it stops working correctly. Seems more attributed to movement than temperature.
@RamCares might be able to help?

Users who are viewing this thread