5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission falling out of Drive on downshift, blinking, displaying "shift to P" and back

Vulpes

Reaction score
Well, it did it again! Two times the transmission slipped tonight - within a ten-minute period. I'm pissed! Have just contacted Mike McDonald at Stellantis and the Service Manager at RAM in LA. Buy back!!
Well that sucks! Sorry they didn't fix it for you. I'm in Los Angeles too, and was considering taking mine in, as it seemed that DTLA Ram had fixed it. I have a 2019 Rebel with 5.7L, WITHOUT E-Torque and have been having this same problem intermittently. Luckily it has been happening at low speed on surface streets, and I've been able to stop and shift it to park quickly. I am curious to see what happens with your truck and Ram.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Well that sucks! Sorry they didn't fix it for you. I'm in Los Angeles too, and was considering taking mine in, as it seemed that DTLA Ram had fixed it. I have a 2019 Rebel with 5.7L, WITHOUT E-Torque and have been having this same problem intermittently. Luckily it has been happening at low speed on surface streets, and I've been able to stop and shift it to park quickly. I am curious to see what happens with your truck and Ram.
I've contacted them and I'm going to demand a buy back. DTLA is where I've been going. Sucks!!!

rob21_hinch

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that brotha. I tried the buy back program didnt work. They said it dosent qualify. But hopefully after what youve been through they would consider it. My truck is still with my dealer i heard from Them today they said transmission connector will be replaced. I get it back Tuesday.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
My truck is going back in to the dealer tomorrow. I'm going to look into the buy back program. I did speak with the service manager who admitted that he was also frustrated. He told me they were going to bring in an engineering team above the STAR group that worked on the case last time. One positive is that the dealer has been great. They have kept me informed and also genuinely seem to care about what happens. They're giving me a new Grand Cherokee for the loaner, which I'm happy about. I'll keep you all updated.

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
My truck is going back in to the dealer tomorrow. I'm going to look into the buy back program. I did speak with the service manager who admitted that he was also frustrated. He told me they were going to bring in an engineering team above the STAR group that worked on the case last time. One positive is that the dealer has been great. They have kept me informed and also genuinely seem to care about what happens. They're giving me a new Grand Cherokee for the loaner, which I'm happy about. I'll keep you all updated.
So sorry to hear it happened again man but I'm glad they really seem to care and are taking care of you in the meantime. How many miles do you have on the truck now?

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
So sorry to hear it happened again man but I'm glad they really seem to care and are taking care of you in the meantime. How many miles do you have on the truck now?
About 36,000 miles on the truck. Looking into the buy back program. I dropped it off yesterday and they had another truck in with the same issue. Also, an engineer was on site. We shall see what happens.

Bac41784

Reaction score
Hey y’all, new to the page. Have a 2019 Rebel and have had the same issue for years now. Dealer reprogramed the TCM. Of course that did nothing. Have 45k miles on it now. First stared around 20k miles. They can’t duplicate the issue so hands are a bit tied on that one. Can’t just leave the truck with them for weeks or months on end. Have almost been hit numberious times making slow left turns around 5-9 mph crossing traffic and the truck just slips outta gear. Ram can’t figure it out. Eventually someone will get hurt and then they might do something about it as I’m sure there will be lawyers involved. There’s a ton out there about this issue, but zero resolutions from what I can find. I did figure out that you don’t have to stop the truck and put it in park, just turn the shifter knob to neutral and back to drive and the gears engage and you can keep going Without stopping. Only thing that’s saved me from being hit a few times to say the least. Since it has no codes and isnt recorded in the PCM or TCM I don’t see Ram ever doing anything for us that spent 55 to 65 thousand on a truck that could possibly cause us to get injured or injure our families. Buckeye, thank you for all the updates. Please let us know how it all goes for you.
Semper Fi

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Hey y’all, new to the page. Have a 2019 Rebel and have had the same issue for years now. Dealer reprogramed the TCM. Of course that did nothing. Have 45k miles on it now. First stared around 20k miles. They can’t duplicate the issue so hands are a bit tied on that one. Can’t just leave the truck with them for weeks or months on end. Have almost been hit numberious times making slow left turns around 5-9 mph crossing traffic and the truck just slips outta gear. Ram can’t figure it out. Eventually someone will get hurt and then they might do something about it as I’m sure there will be lawyers involved. There’s a ton out there about this issue, but zero resolutions from what I can find. I did figure out that you don’t have to stop the truck and put it in park, just turn the shifter knob to neutral and back to drive and the gears engage and you can keep going Without stopping. Only thing that’s saved me from being hit a few times to say the least. Since it has no codes and isnt recorded in the PCM or TCM I don’t see Ram ever doing anything for us that spent 55 to 65 thousand on a truck that could possibly cause us to get injured or injure our families. Buckeye, thank you for all the updates. Please let us know how it all goes for you.
Semper Fi

I'm going to either get a new truck or initiate the Lemon Law here in CA. CA sucks royally, but the Lemon Laws here are great. Only thing about this state that works. Waiting to hear from the dealer. Also, Stellantis is once again involved. Will keep you updated.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Well, nearly three weeks into the 3rd visit to the dealership and they have yet to replicate the issue. However, they are replacing the engine harness (for the 2nd time) and the shifter. They did give me a pretty sweet brand-new Grand Cherokee L (long version) to drive. So, I'm not entirely pissed yet. Also, Mike McDonald from Stellantis is on the case again and I may be getting an entirely new truck. This is the 3rd visit for the same thing and the lemon law will come into play. Will keep you updated.

CDP110

Reaction score
Well, nearly three weeks into the 3rd visit to the dealership and they have yet to replicate the issue. However, they are replacing the engine harness (for the 2nd time) and the shifter. They did give me a pretty sweet brand-new Grand Cherokee L (long version) to drive. So, I'm not entirely pissed yet. Also, Mike McDonald from Stellantis is on the case again and I may be getting an entirely new truck. This is the 3rd visit for the same thing and the lemon law will come into play. Will keep you updated
So I have a 2019 ram1500 bighorn. 5.7 hemi with 73000 miles. In the last month I have had this issue about shift into park. Today I was driving 35 mph and slowing down to make a right turn and I have no power and dash say shift to park. I recently replaces my battery but a equivalent of stock but bought at advanced auto parts. I also had dealership installed mopar 2 inch lift an d 285/60/20 tires and on stock rims. I bought the 7 year 999,000 mile warranty so I’m covered but any feedback Wht the fix is would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 620EDB2A-9B39-4A28-AAD7-9ABFB88DCDC1.jpeg
    620EDB2A-9B39-4A28-AAD7-9ABFB88DCDC1.jpeg
    193.2 KB · Views: 25
  • AF9E9921-8CA1-436F-ADE6-CFB4647BE506.jpeg
    AF9E9921-8CA1-436F-ADE6-CFB4647BE506.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 25

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
So far, they have replaced the engine wiring harness twice, the dashboard harness once and now the shifter. I hope to get an update this week. I replaced my battery as well, but the issue was present before I did that.

jww

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the previous posts. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with about 35k miles. I have also experienced the same issue a few times in the past 3 yrs. I replaced my OEM tires today with a little larger tire “275/60/20” and the truck shifted from drive to neutral when stopping 3 times today. Before today, it probably only happened 5 total times over 3 yrs. It’s cold and raining, not sure if that makes it worse, but will be follow in this thread.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the previous posts. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with about 35k miles. I have also experienced the same issue a few times in the past 3 yrs. I replaced my OEM tires today with a little larger tire “275/60/20” and the truck shifted from drive to neutral when stopping 3 times today. Before today, it probably only happened 5 total times over 3 yrs. It’s cold and raining, not sure if that makes it worse, but will be follow in this thread.
The issue was present six months before I upgraded my wheels and tires. So, I don't think that's the problem. Hope to have some answers this week. Got a note form another user who sent me this:

"I have been following your post for some time as my 2019 Ram 1500 Limited with V8 HEMI and 3.92 gear ratio has been doing the same randomly since the original battery died On Nov 17th last year. Replaced it with an Yellow Top Optima Battery and began seeing the issue a couple days later. Battery has been tested and dealership had truck for 2 weeks with no luck reproducing after 200 miles of test drives.

Have videoed the event multiple times and they seem to ignore that evidence. Recently I purchased a BlueDriver ODBII scan tool in hopes of gathering more details about what is happening. Have captured multiple occurrences with different configurations and the common denominator seems to be a drop in the Control Module voltage down to mid/low 13s when coasting to a stop or slowing to turn right."

Frustrating!!

CDP110

Reaction score
The issue was present six months before I upgraded my wheels and tires. So, I don't think that's the problem. Hope to have some answers this week. Got a note form another user who sent me this:

"I have been following your post for some time as my 2019 Ram 1500 Limited with V8 HEMI and 3.92 gear ratio has been doing the same randomly since the original battery died On Nov 17th last year. Replaced it with an Yellow Top Optima Battery and began seeing the issue a couple days later. Battery has been tested and dealership had truck for 2 weeks with no luck reproducing after 200 miles of test drives.

Have videoed the event multiple times and they seem to ignore that evidence. Recently I purchased a BlueDriver ODBII scan tool in hopes of gathering more details about what is happening. Have captured multiple occurrences with different configurations and the common denominator seems to be a drop in the Control Module voltage down to mid/low 13s when coasting to a stop or slowing to turn right."

Frustrating!!
Yes I can't believe this. I don't want to bring to dealership cause they will just start ripping and tearing into it not knowing wht to fix. I'm crossing my fingers it doesnt happen whn I'm in congested area. Don;t want to get rear ended.

Vulpes

Reaction score
Two days in and it's working as designed. Will continue to drive and update here. Just curious if you did any modifications to your truck? I only added a cold air intake. I've heard that the Pedal Commander or similar products can cause this problem. Doyou have one of the throttle response enhancers installed?
I have the Hike-it throttle controller on my Rebel. My Rebel would randomly fall out of drive before I installed it. It still occasionally falls out of drive with the throttle controller, whether it is turned on or off. I've started keeping a log of when this happens, maybe when I get to a certain number of logged occurrences, (or when I've reached my frustration level), I'll bring my truck in. I have logged all occurrences as happening in the morning, not long after first starting the vehicle, about the first 20 minutes of running. It typically happens upon deceleration, foot off gas or foot on brake slowing the vehicle, approximately 10mph, and the transmission acts like, what I would call a very high pressure downshift, like a clutch pack slamming together in a racing transmission.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Happened to me at the intersection of Sunset Boulevard and Canon Drive, while turning left with traffic ahead of me and following my turn. Almost did get rear-ended, but I was able to avoid a full stop and quickly shifted into neutral then back into drive and was able to continue. Ridiculous. I don't want the truck back until it is either fixed and documented fully or I get a new one.

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
Well, nearly three weeks into the 3rd visit to the dealership and they have yet to replicate the issue. However, they are replacing the engine harness (for the 2nd time) and the shifter. They did give me a pretty sweet brand-new Grand Cherokee L (long version) to drive. So, I'm not entirely pissed yet. Also, Mike McDonald from Stellantis is on the case again and I may be getting an entirely new truck. This is the 3rd visit for the same thing and the lemon law will come into play. Will keep you updated.
Hopefully, you hear back soon! A bit off-topic but how are you enjoying the Grand Cherokee L? We are looking at that for my wife's next vehicle as we currently have a 2014 GC and love it.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Hopefully, you hear back soon! A bit off-topic but how are you enjoying the Grand Cherokee L? We are looking at that for my wife's next vehicle as we currently have a 2014 GC and love it.
I love it, actually. Comfortable and well appointed. It's a limited with panoramic roof and most options. Nice interior. Wood and carbon (metal) mix. Nice screen. Not the top of the line, but it's a Limited. Handles nicely. My only complaint is that it's not a Hemi V8! The six is good, but doesn't pack the punch of my truck. Otherwise, really nice vehicle. I'd be open to having one for a second car if needed.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love it, actually. Comfortable and well appointed. It's a limited with panoramic roof and most options. Nice interior. Wood and carbon (metal) mix. Nice screen. Not the top of the line, but it's a Limited. Handles nicely. My only complaint is that it's not a Hemi V8! The six is good, but doesn't pack the punch of my truck. Otherwise, really nice vehicle. I'd be open to having one for a second car if needed.
Nice, yea if (when) they release the L with the PHEV hybrid this will likely be my wife's new car....

cristi

Reaction score
so so far 1-2 years dodge has not solved the serious problem and they have the same problem I am from Romania, I hope to solve it as soon as possible and to make a modal recall in service for this problem

Users who are viewing this thread