5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer Tow Package??

iasus

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new vehicle. I'll be honest... I've been looking hard at a f150 xlt with a trailer tow package because I'll be towing a 4,000lb boat. I'm looking at RAMs now and I'm not seeing any sort of "trailer tow package" that people keep mentioning on this forum. I have seen a lot about how the mirror changes, etc. But nothing regarding the actual package. How much does a RAM big horn 4x4 5.7 3.21gear tow by default and how much would it tow with the tow package? Also does the tow package add anything to the engine, trans, etc? If I do need the tow package... can I get it with the 3.21 gearing?

Thanks

iasus

Reaction score
Also, how do I know if a truck has the tow package from the window sticker? The only thing I see is a Class 4 hitch so I'm confused

Cheddy

Reaction score
See screenshot...all motors come with heavy duty cooling. And you up your towing to over 10,000lbs going with 3.92...3.21 is going to give you between 7,000-8,000lbs.

Attachments

• 5CCF265C-BE97-4A33-B7E7-627981536A11.jpeg
    5CCF265C-BE97-4A33-B7E7-627981536A11.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 259

iasus

Reaction score
Thanks, is that 7,000-8,000 WITH the towing package? How much if I don't have it?

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My tow package on a Big Horn has the tow mirrors and brake controller for $400. The class IV Receiver came with the Level 2 equipment. 3.21 gears. See below for towing (*approximate based on options)

D97FD4BA-52F4-4B30-BF02-AF982BE639E7.jpeg

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My actual payload is 1777lbs (-63lbs from above posted estimate). So take some off of towing capacity too and Cheddy’s approximation is pretty much on the money.

Yes, tow package will be on the window sticker.

Ickabod

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new vehicle. I'll be honest... I've been looking hard at a f150 xlt with a trailer tow package because I'll be towing a 4,000lb boat. I'm looking at RAMs now and I'm not seeing any sort of "trailer tow package" that people keep mentioning on this forum. I have seen a lot about how the mirror changes, etc. But nothing regarding the actual package. How much does a RAM big horn 4x4 5.7 3.21gear tow by default and how much would it tow with the tow package? Also does the tow package add anything to the engine, trans, etc? If I do need the tow package... can I get it with the 3.21 gearing?

Thanks
Any new 1500 Ram you buy is ready to tow. In the past, you would have to get the tow package which included the bigger alternator, bigger trans, hitch, etc. This is all now included. The tow group that is now offered includes tow mirrors and a trailer brake controller.

kittyjo

Reaction score
I have the big horn crew cab with tow package just remember no power folding mirrors.... I will also be getting a boat in future fully loaded will be 6k lbs so should have no problems and I have the 3.21 gears

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We have other threads that explainthis in detail. Some of the highlights have been hit.

All Hemi trucks have the heavy duty cooling...V6 it is an option.

All trucks are wired 7pin/4pin.

The Towing Group includes Tow mirrors, Class IV hitch and trailer brake controller.

On Rebel, Laramie, Longhorn, and Limited all come standard with the Class IV hitch. On these packages...if you want to keep powerfold and surroundview, DO NOT get tow package...add the trailer brake controller. Otherwise all you are getting is tow mirrors that take away options and brake controller.

Tradesman, Bighorn/Lonestar come standard with a Class III, which is the bumper. Yes, some bought their truck not knowing they didn't have a receiver hitch.

So when you add the Towing Group, you get it all...but lose heated mirrors.

Now. Onto numbers. Each and every truck will have a different payload and towing capacity. The numbers you see on the website and the towing guides is for a VERY SPECIFIC TRUCK...and almost no one buys that truck.

There are numerous threads on this also. But the Highlights are these two numbers

GVWR and GCWR. Only going to talk about Hemi 4x4.

GVWR is 7100 ALL GEARS
GCWR is 13900 for 3.21 and 17000 for 3.92

So you have to know payload and subtract that from GCWR to get trailer tow weight.

And now...Ford is probably the biggest inflator of numbers...their truck with max tow numbers is very, very specific.

Ask my boss.. he bought an all powerful EcoBoost and found out the 10000 lb camper he bought was way over his particular truck's capacity and had to have a few parts replaced.

Good times.

Camping season is here. We head out Friday afternoon.

Check out our Towing forum in full. LOT'S of info there.

Any more questions just ask.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, is that 7,000-8,000 WITH the towing package? How much if I don't have it?
Towing package has nothing to do with making capacity more. You can add the hitch and brake controller seperate...

A HEMI truck is all ready prepped with the towing features...heavy duty cooling(engine and Transmission)

Rear gear decides maximum tow capacity with 3.92 being 3100 lbs more than 3.21

MAX tow package is a 2wd Tradesman quad cab 6'4 bed HEMI with the Dana Super 60 rear axle

MAX payload is the same truck but with a V6.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And a 4000 lb boat will be no issue for whatever Ram you decide to get.

The biggest thing will be buy the truck you will enjoy the most. All trucks today are great for towing.

Lots of Chevy and Ford guys made the switch to Ram for the ride, interior. and the new styling.

Happy shopping.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unless you plan on towing something with electric brakes the standard truck will tow your boat just fine. No need for towing mirrors. If you think you might drag a trailer with electric brakes at some point just opt for the trailer brake controller. It's a stand alone option.

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
Any configuration of Ram you get will tow that boat just fine. I've towed our 26' boat with a variety of vehicles. 02 Avalanche, 03 Suburban 2500, 03 Silverado 1500HD, 13 Tahoe, and will now be using my Ram. I know it won't tow as well as my 8.1L BBC Suburban, but it will tow a lot better than the other vehicles I have used.

iasus

Reaction score
Appreciate the responses guys. I am glad to hear I don't need to buy up to a tow package like I would with a Ford. I'll be looking to make sure "Trailer Tow Package" is NOT on the window sticker!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Appreciate the responses guys. I am glad to hear I don't need to buy up to a tow package like I would with a Ford. I'll be looking to make sure "Trailer Tow Package" is NOT on the window sticker!
If you are getting a bighorn...if you are ordering make sure to select the class IV hitch or if buying make sure it is there.

You might as well just get the trailer brake controller if you order...but it can be added later if you are buying.

Good luck. Hope to see your truck hauling a boat soon.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Thanks

Tow mirrors removes 360 degree around view monitor, Power folding mirrors, and the extra tow mirror is not heated. Just as a point a reference. Most dealers switched to just adding trailer brake. Enjoy.

Howitis

Reaction score
sounds like your comparing the ram trailer tow package to fords max tow package. they are not the same. Just make sure yours has a trailer brake control and get 3.92 gears if you want the highest capacity. Also, don't get so many options. Your payload is likely to be the biggest factor. check the door and make sure the payload is 1600+ if you are getting the truck to tow something heavy. Every time you add an option your payload goes down.

clu51

Reaction score
Folks what is the width distance of the regular mirrors to the trailer tow package mirrors? Do you get additional visibility around your trailer load? It's nice to have power folding mirrors in the standard offering but I need the widest view.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Folks what is the width distance of the regular mirrors to the trailer tow package mirrors? Do you get additional visibility around your trailer load? It's nice to have power folding mirrors in the standard offering but I need the widest view.
With trailer mirrors flipped out to widest view, I get 20" from window glass to outside edge. Someone with standard mirrors will have to give you the comparable measurement.

Or you can just go to a dealership with a tape measure and see for yourself. You could use that opportunity to check a few loading decals and see how bad things like the sunroof affect it.

Users who are viewing this thread