5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer Tow Package??

Ram4141

Reaction score
I have a '19 CC Laramie with power fold away mirrors, factory trailer brake and 3.21 gears. From the edge of the window glass to the edge of the view-able mirror glass is about 13 1/2" and 15" to the outside edge of the mirror. I haven't towed with them yet. I don't know how I am going to like them because the passenger side mirror has a large convex glass with a small non adjustable convex glass. My previous '16 Laramie had tow mirrors and had normal glass and a small adjustable convex glass on both doors. I don't think the size of the mirrors on my '19 will be an issue at all. The glass may.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a '19 CC Laramie with power fold away mirrors, factory trailer brake and 3.21 gears. From the edge of the window glass to the edge of the view-able mirror glass is about 13 1/2" and 15" to the outside edge of the mirror. I haven't towed with them yet. I don't know how I am going to like them because the passenger side mirror has a large convex glass with a small non adjustable convex glass. My previous '16 Laramie had tow mirrors and had normal glass and a small adjustable convex glass on both doors. I don't think the size of the mirrors on my '19 will be an issue at all. The glass may.
Maybe my memory is incorrect, but aren’t the convex insets manually adjustable? I haven’t had a need to move them, but I thought they were.

Ram4141

Reaction score
Maybe my memory is incorrect, but aren’t the convex insets manually adjustable? I haven’t had a need to move them, but I thought they were.
No sir. These are fixed. No adjustment unless you move the larger mirror with it.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
We have other threads that explainthis in detail. Some of the highlights have been hit.

All Hemi trucks have the heavy duty cooling...V6 it is an option.

All trucks are wired 7pin/4pin.

The Towing Group includes Tow mirrors, Class IV hitch and trailer brake controller.

On Rebel, Laramie, Longhorn, and Limited all come standard with the Class IV hitch. On these packages...if you want to keep powerfold and surroundview, DO NOT get tow package...add the trailer brake controller. Otherwise all you are getting is tow mirrors that take away options and brake controller.

Tradesman, Bighorn/Lonestar come standard with a Class III, which is the bumper. Yes, some bought their truck not knowing they didn't have a receiver hitch.

So when you add the Towing Group, you get it all...but lose heated mirrors.

Now. Onto numbers. Each and every truck will have a different payload and towing capacity. The numbers you see on the website and the towing guides is for a VERY SPECIFIC TRUCK...and almost no one buys that truck.

There are numerous threads on this also. But the Highlights are these two numbers

GVWR and GCWR. Only going to talk about Hemi 4x4.

GVWR is 7100 ALL GEARS
GCWR is 13900 for 3.21 and 17000 for 3.92

So you have to know payload and subtract that from GCWR to get trailer tow weight.

And now...Ford is probably the biggest inflator of numbers...their truck with max tow numbers is very, very specific.

Ask my boss.. he bought an all powerful EcoBoost and found out the 10000 lb camper he bought was way over his particular truck's capacity and had to have a few parts replaced.

Good times.

Camping season is here. We head out Friday afternoon.

Check out our Towing forum in full. LOT'S of info there.

Any more questions just ask.
Really accurate info, wish this summary could be a stickie.

I dog some on Ford because I had one (2015 2.7), while it “appeared” to be a great tow package, it actually wasn't.
The EB engine is quite strong, especially the 2nd gen 3.5. But Ford took out too much weight when they went aluminum, its a jittery towing platform, plenty of forum threads about it.

The OP will be fine towing a 4000 lb load no matter what gears.

Last edited by a moderator:

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Any configuration of Ram you get will tow that boat just fine. I've towed our 26' boat with a variety of vehicles. 02 Avalanche, 03 Suburban 2500, 03 Silverado 1500HD, 13 Tahoe, and will now be using my Ram. I know it won't tow as well as my 8.1L BBC Suburban, but it will tow a lot better than the other vehicles I have used.
An 02’ Avalanche was a lightweight tow vehicle, if that towed your boat ok then the 1500 would be fine.
A reply on an old forum about Avalanche tow capacity said this:
“Expert Reply:
According to the online manual I reviewed for the 2002 Avalanche, its towing capacity will vary based on how it is equipped. The V8 with 2WD has a maximum trailer weight rating of 7100-lbs (with the 3.73 axle ratio) or 8300-lbs (with the 4.10 axle ratio). The V8 with 4WD has a maximum trailer weight rating of 7100-lbs (with the 3.73 axle ratio) or 8100-lbs (with the 4.10 axle ratio). These are the maximums, and must be observed. Your trailer when fully loaded with water, propane, supplies, food and equipment, must weigh no more than the vehicle's stated towing capacity.

While there are suspension enhancement products offered for your truck, such as the Firestone air bag systems you referenced and rubber jounce springs (please see link), none of these can increase a vehicle's towing or weight carrying capacities. In general, rear-axle suspension kits like air bags or jounce springs are best suited for hauling heavy loads in the truck bed, more than for towing a large trailer. For a trailer that weighs more than 50-percent of the tow vehicle weight, a weight distribution system is the way to go.
Also, please note these these aftermarket enhancement products are not a substitute for a suspension in good working order. We do not offer standard OEM replacement shocks.” End of quote

The point of copying and pasting this very specific blurb is that the Avalanche is a less capable tow platform than the 5th gen RAM. The 3.21 gearing isn't like a 3.21 from 2002 with a 4 speed. Our 8 speed makes that gearing much more robust.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rhino4president

Reaction score
Any new 1500 Ram you buy is ready to tow. In the past, you would have to get the tow package which included the bigger alternator, bigger trans, hitch, etc. This is all now included. The tow group that is now offered includes tow mirrors and a trailer brake controller.

Hey there, are you positive that is the case? I am asking because I am also in the market - considering a 2019 Ram 1500 SLT Crew Cab, 6'4" bed. 5.7, with the 8spd auto, and 3.21 gears. Currently has no "tow package", and no hitch. If I read the stat sheet correctly https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html I should be GVW 6,900, and hypothetically towing 7,980.00lbs.
In the pics, it looks like the truck came pre-wired with a 7 & 4 blade plug straight from the factory, but again quoted as "no tow package". The dealer said they would add one for free. However, I don't know if that is the result of a hungry sales guy trying to say what he must to get the sale.

My concern, is that the wiring won't be good/won't be there, and it is a blank plug, because it never got fully wired to the power module at the factory... Adding a hitch is easy enough, it's messing around with wiring that was never there in the first place that worries me - so if you're right, I'll be thrilled! Fingers crossed!

SColang22

Reaction score
Appreciate the responses guys. I am glad to hear I don't need to buy up to a tow package like I would with a Ford. I'll be looking to make sure "Trailer Tow Package" is NOT on the window sticker!
You wouldn’t need the tow package on the ford either though

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hey there, are you positive that is the case? I am asking because I am also in the market - considering a 2019 Ram 1500 SLT Crew Cab, 6'4" bed. 5.7, with the 8spd auto, and 3.21 gears. Currently has no "tow package", and no hitch. If I read the stat sheet correctly https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html I should be GVW 6,900, and hypothetically towing 7,980.00lbs.
In the pics, it looks like the truck came pre-wired with a 7 & 4 blade plug straight from the factory, but again quoted as "no tow package". The dealer said they would add one for free. However, I don't know if that is the result of a hungry sales guy trying to say what he must to get the sale.

My concern, is that the wiring won't be good/won't be there, and it is a blank plug, because it never got fully wired to the power module at the factory... Adding a hitch is easy enough, it's messing around with wiring that was never there in the first place that worries me - so if you're right, I'll be thrilled! Fingers crossed!
I can't tell you if his claim is accurate. I suspect he's correct, but if you have access to the truck it's easy enough to test with one of these...

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@Rhino4president

You are buying a classic?

Yes, a tradesman, Bighorn, SLT will come with a class 3 hitch...which is just the bumper. The wiring should be okay...but you will have to get a class 4 reciever hitch

The other poster is mistaken...but correct. All HEMI engines are prepped to tow...but not all trucks are.

We discuss this at length in many threads.

So the truck you are looking at just needs a class IV receiver hitch added. And probably the trailer brake controller.

Hope that makes sense. Let me know if you need more clarification.

Rhino4president

Reaction score
@Rhino4president

You are buying a classic?

Yes, a tradesman, Bighorn, SLT will come with a class 3 hitch...which is just the bumper. The wiring should be okay...but you will have to get a class 4 reciever hitch

The other poster is mistaken...but correct. All HEMI engines are prepped to tow...but not all trucks are.

We discuss this at length in many threads.

So the truck you are looking at just needs a class IV receiver hitch added. And probably the trailer brake controller.

Hope that makes sense. Let me know if you need more clarification.

Devildodge,
Yes, I am getting the classic.
That was exactly what I was looking for, and thank you very much for your response!
Class 4 is being added this morning!

Rhino4president

Reaction score
I can't tell you if his claim is accurate. I suspect he's correct, but if you have access to the truck it's easy enough to test with one of these...

Hi mikeru82,
Thank you for the response. I looked at it on Saturday morning and pulled the trigger!
That would of definitely been a helpful tool. I wound up bringing my test light, and essentially doing the same thing. Wiring was all there, and functioned properly! No break control, but the dealer agreed to add a Class 4 hitch as part of the sale which was good enough for me since none of my trailers have breaks anyway.

Thanks again for the response!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hi mikeru82,
Thank you for the response. I looked at it on Saturday morning and pulled the trigger!
That would of definitely been a helpful tool. I wound up bringing my test light, and essentially doing the same thing. Wiring was all there, and functioned properly! No break control, but the dealer agreed to add a Class 4 hitch as part of the sale which was good enough for me since none of my trailers have breaks anyway.

Thanks again for the response!
You're welcome, and congrats on your new truck! If you ever decide you need the trailer brake controller you can always add one then. I hope your truck provides you with many years of enjoyment.

JimD007

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Classic Tradesman which came with the Tradesman package. It consists of the bed lining and the hitch. I wondered what sort of hitch it was so I went under the truck and looked. You all may be correct that it is a Class III but you ARE NOT correct to call it a bumper hitch. It has rather large braces to the frame. My truck is only rated to tow less than 5,000 lbs due to the 3.21 gearing and the V6 engine but the hitch is more than sturdy enough for that. My guess is that it is at least sufficient for the 7,000 lbs my truck would be rated with the 3.55 gears. But that could still be a class III.

The brake controller comments ignored asking what sort of brakes are on the boat trailer. If it has surge brakes, a brake controller is not needed - it would serve no purpose.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you have a reciever the one with the hole you put your ball mount in....that is a clas IV.

If you do nor have the tube under your bumper. You have a class III and that is most certainly just your bumper.

If you need me to show pics I can. Or just do a search as this isnt the first time someone was surprised to learn they only got the bumper hitch...which only takes a ball in the center step part of the bumper by the license plate.

If you are planning to use a drop hitch or other ball mount or Weight distribution hitch you need the class IV which has the tube hole under the bumper.

We discuss this about every few months as there is always someone assuming all trucks come with it...but the tradesman and Bighorn do not.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not aure what you mean by the trailer brake controller comment. We said he may need one. He then verifies it didnt have it and he didnt need it as his trailer didnt have electric brakes.

It is much cheaper to get it all as a package than it is to add it later...but if the truck didnt come with something, it can usually be added after purchase as well.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not aure what you mean by the trailer brake controller comment. We said he may need one. He then verifies it didnt have it and he didnt need it as his trailer didnt have electric brakes.

It is much cheaper to get it all as a package than it is to add it later...but if the truck didnt come with something, it can usually be added after purchase as well.
He was talking about trailers with surge brakes, not electric brakes. Surge brakes are not electric, and do not use a brake controller. Instead, they use inertia and a hydraulic braking system.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And that is what I said.

Maybe we are replying to two different people.

But my comment was telling him what he was missing. He would need the trailer brake controller if he had electric brakes.

Another guy said he had surge brakes and that he wouldnt need the controller...

The best part is earlier in this thread this was explained. I thought it was in a different thread but it was this one.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
All these threads on different forums start to blur together for me. I should stick with one forum but I'd hate to miss something. :D

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All these threads on different forums start to blur together for me. I should stick with one forum but I'd hate to miss something. :D
Tell me about it. Trying to keep up to date with all the info about these trucks and having no real interest in a 1500, but constantly being teased by all the good that is a RAM 1500 and of course the TRX.
Especially trying to keep up with gears and lockers and tire sizes...but these tow threads have a special place in my heart as I travel on these roads with people towing stuff they probably shouldn't, so I like to try with the info to help.

Users who are viewing this thread