5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer Tow Mirrors vs Power Fold

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Found a few trucks - one identical to my order. Only difference is it has the "Trailer Tow Package" vs the "Trailer Brake Controller" that I ordered. So for an extra $5 it has the non power folding - trailer tow mirrors (and I received pictures of it when it landed, still wrapped in plastic).
I've yet to have the trailer tow mirrors on any pickup I've owned - nor have I had them power fold. To me, the power folding mirrors seem more versatile (when going through the car wash) than the bigger trailer tow mirrors. What's everyone's thoughts on these?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't tow anything big so I prefer the standard mirrors for everyday driving. I don't think I could back into my garage without folding in those tow mirrors plus I prefer the look of the standard mirrors. I was glad to see Ram added blind spot mirrors to the standard mirrors which should make them more functional.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't be without the tow mirrors. But if I was to order a Rebel, I probably would skip them to get the 360 view.

But then, I am waiting to see the Heavy Duty before I make any decisions. And the rumor is that the new 5th gen HD will bring the 360 view to the tow mirrors and then if I were to get a Rebel I would then go with them.

But if you don't tow something large...I would probably pass for the convenience of power fold.

My 2 cents

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Electric powered folding mirrors is something I will never go without again. My 2016 Tradesman didn't have this but my 2017 Laramie did and its an awesome add on to have helps a lot when parking in parking stall and on the road way and in my garage etc.

96Dodge4x4

CDJR Technician
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If the tow mirrors are the same as the heavy duty trucks why isn’t there a power fold on the half ton tow mirrors?

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Go with the power fold regular mirrors, that way you get the 360 degree cam (if you ordered it) I personally also think they look better and are much easier to use than the tow mirrors. I hated the tow mirrors on the last truck I drove, I can see why people drive with them flipped up as it would greatly increase your field of vision, when they're flipped down the regular mirrors actually give you a better view.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm in MD on business so I stopped by a local dealer to get a fix. They had a Limited with the tow package and I was quite surprised to see that not only do you not get the side cameras as previously reported but you also don't get the front camera!
That means you can't just "upgrade" to the regular mirrors later trying to get surround view - you'd need a new grille with camera (not to mention any fw flash/dealer programming if even possible.)

fish mojo

Reaction score
Pretty disappointing. The main benefit of surround view camera systems is for towing and they delete the surround view when you get the towing mirrors. Step up your game RAM!!!

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Epic fail.

So adding the tow package gives you the bigger tow mirrors but they don't power fold and you lose the 360° camera? Seems like it's an extra $300 to lose features!

Glad I didn't order the tow package.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
this is what happens with an early release of the truck. They only put out the high end stuff and alot of the tech is being held off for the Heavy Duty release. I know it doesn't make much sense when you want to get the new truck and now...but look at how FCA gets nailed in their releases alot more than the other guys. The 360 view on the 1500 is probably marketed more at the Rebel, and off road package for, well, offroading and for the high end buyer for getting in parking spaces without a scratch.

They know there are people who are gonna just want to get the new truck, but this go, it seems, alot of people have done homework and want specific things. But we are a small part of the buying public. Most won't even know what they are missing out on.

After this summer when all the options start being available and all the trims are being produced Ram will also be starting to show more of the HD and you will also see more of the options on the 1500 start to come together better.

Just like with the Rebel. They finally give it the quad cab, but you still can't get the crew with the 6'4" bed...which is a no seller for me. It sucks but is what it is...same as no Regular Cab powerwagon...just got to get the Crew Cab.

Sucks that this has affected you guys ordering though...that shouldn't have happened and should have been easier to understand and upfront in the literature.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I saw some OEM tow mirrors for sale on eBay so I enquired about the power fold. $460 per side! Plus the truck has to be flashed.

Needless to say - I'll be waiting for my build versus buying the one on the ground and swapping mirrors.

FWIW, the OEM tow mirrors can be had for $400.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
the Limited and the Laramie versions of the new Ram offer something that Rebel currently does not. Which is the 360-degree surround view camera. Why? Currently, the surround view camera is an option that is linked with Ram’s new 12-inch infotainment system (not the 8-inch system that is available in Rebel). We do not know when or if this will change.

Found this little tidbit. I had wanted to say this but didn't want to say so, as I didn't know if it was true.

But alot of you guys were upset about the surround view. Did you guys get the 12"?

If this is true, and you didn't get the 12" you may not get surround view anyways.

I hope it isn't true, as I feel this would help the Rebel the most...anyone know for sure.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If that's correct, it's a useful bit of info to anyone NOT ordering the 12" Uconnect.

Like others on the forum, I specifically ordered an otherwise-loaded Laramie Longhorn without the trailer tow group (but with the trailer brake control) so that I could avoid the tow mirrors and retain the surround view functionality.

I also spoke to the dealer about swapping mirrors after the fact. It turns out that can be a very expensive approach, between the cost of the mirrors themselves and installation/programming (between $1-2K).

Ken1085

Reaction score
If you configure a Laramie with the Advanced Safety Group and not the the 12" Screen the site stills shows the 360 view camera in the build summary as well as in the pictures of the truck after the build.

Advanced Safety Group is not available on Rebel so I would assume neither is the 360 camera.

Tow Group Package adds tow mirrors and loses the 360 camera on Laramie and up it appears to me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member103

I wouldn't be without the tow mirrors. But if I was to order a Rebel, I probably would skip them to get the 360 view.

But then, I am waiting to see the Heavy Duty before I make any decisions. And the rumor is that the new 5th gen HD will bring the 360 view to the tow mirrors and then if I were to get a Rebel I would then go with them.

But if you don't tow something large...I would probably pass for the convenience of power fold.

My 2 cents
WHAT'S WITH THE "YOU" when selecting "like" ? Is it supposed to be "secret" till you browse over it ? ? ? Weird !
Anyway, I LIKE your thoughts here too -- and I had the tow mirrors and found I never needed to Open them up - even when I was towing my Big TT - remember this was on a 2003 so we didn't have all the fancy electronics to aid seeing all the blind spots !
I too will greatly relish having the push button stow when the time finally comes ! Those single-wide Apartment garage Doors sure seem Narrow; even when I pull in the Jeep G.C. ! They say it's the eyes -- the first thing to "go" ! Ha ha !

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
Yeah it is a shame you don't get power folding on the tow mirrors. It's even worse if you don't get 360. I already decided NOT to get the tow mirrors, not having power fold is a deal breaker since I plan to park this in the garage daily.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
WHAT'S WITH THE "YOU" when selecting "like" ? Is it supposed to be "secret" till you browse over it ? ? ? Weird !

Took me awhile to understand what you meant.

The YOU in the like box means that it is a post that you have liked. It only shows you to you...lol

We lost all our likes to other posts prior to the move.

I use the like button when I agree with the post, or it gave info I needed, or just had a good message. Then I can go back and see posts that meant something to me easier.

I would assume the 1500 will be getting better tow mirrors when the 2500 gets its new ones.

I never used tow mirrors until we got our 03 HD and then the next week I installed them on my 99 and they make towing just a little more enjoyable. My 2013 doesn't have them and I hate it.

D

Deleted member103

Took me awhile to understand what you meant.

The YOU in the like box means that it is a post that you have liked. It only shows you to you...lol

We lost all our likes to other posts prior to the move.

I use the like button when I agree with the post, or it gave info I needed, or just had a good message. Then I can go back and see posts that meant something to me easier.

I would assume the 1500 will be getting better tow mirrors when the 2500 gets its new ones.

I never used tow mirrors until we got our 03 HD and then the next week I installed them on my 99 and they make towing just a little more enjoyable. My 2013 doesn't have them and I hate it.

NOW, see it just did it again clicking on the like symbol and up pops a little blue thumbs up & "You"; NOT "LOU.2" like it should ? ? ?
You know that I'm well aware of how it used to work (properly) before the switch so this is puzzling ! ?
Anyway -- my 2 cents . . . any suggestions on a fix ? I seem unable to offer up ANY "LIKES" these days . . . am I still on the "poop-list"?

D

Deleted member103

I GET IT ! FIGURED IT OUT . . . me just stupid . . . again, as usual I can be so "thick" in the head -- talking about the "LIKE" thing .

DeanKing

Reaction score
I just ordered a Laramie. 1st Ram after 3 F-150s. Found this thread searching on power folding mirrors because I don't know what I am really getting. I specifically did not order the Trailer Tow Package for exactly the same reason: I wanted the 360 camera. I did get the Electronic Brake Controller so really the only difference with the package is the tow mirrors. I ordered the Sport Appearance so I still don't know if it will be Power Fold or not because it was the Sport Appearance Package that had the description "Power-Heated Mirrors with Manual Fold-Away ". I see stuff on the internet suggesting Laramie's have power fold. I really hope I did not lose this nice feature just because my mirrors are painted instead of chrome. Maybe a typo on the website? BTW: you can get 360 camera with 8.4 screen but you can't get it with the tow mirrors. I figure that blind spot mirror will help some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online