5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer Reverse Steering

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
sounds like a few of you guys spend more time calibrating and recalibrating a useless feature than enjoying your boat or camper.I have 9 various trailers.. Absolute waste of time .. Just learn to back up. You learned to drive FORWARD didnt you? Or do you have a self-drive car too?
Why so angry? Don’t be so dramatic. I asked a simple question about a feature many of us have on our trucks. It’s not a **** measuring contest. I don’t understand replying to a thread you have zero interest in. Why not just skip it and move on instead of going off like a madman?🤔

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Guys we all know the best way to back up a trailer is to simply get out, unhitch the horses and use your 13 kids to help push the wagon backwards! (Also interested in how the TPMS works but I am waiting a wiring harness to come in because apparently mine was corroded from the factory and keeps throwing error codes.) I will mess around with the reverse steering this weekend (provided it isn't connected to that same tpms harness) as I am curious if mine also tries to endlessly configure.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
who exactly said ANYTHING about guns Elmer ? or are you one of those who think guns fire all by themselves ? Mine must be defective, I ve had them for decades and guess what? They never shot anyone! Imagine that.. But many have died from drunks driving PICK UPS! You seem pretty proud of yours , wanna ban it?
The **** are you on about? Fudds who ***** about tech on trucks definitely run their mouths about how they've been using iron for decades and don't see the need to go with a better sight.

Fudds...

20GladRubicon

Reaction score
Too me this is option has much more value to me than front/rear park sensors, adaptive cruise, blind spot detection, auto parallel park, lane assist, hill start assist, cross path detection, start/stop and all the other crazy stuff they add these days.
Believe me, if you ever tow a travel trailer on I-95 or through Jacksonville (or any busy bypass for that matter) you will greatly appreciate the blind-spot and cross-path detection option. Well worth the $595 price!

bucolic

Reaction score
Wow! Why don’t you tell me how you really feel.😆

That’s a given. Thanks for your input but I know perfectly well how to back trailers. Been launching boats for 35+ years but thought since I have this package on my truck I better make sure it’s working right. I like it so far but found it does have some bugs. Just asking a simple question and hoping there’s a simple answer.

One thing I really love so far is the auto trailer light test. That’s really convenient and works very well. Great for doing a quick light check when your solo.

I could never quite master the Trailer backup system. I didn't have the calibration issue but I think it takes a learning curve to use it so I end up backing in manually. The one time it did really come in handy and worked well was when I went down the wrong road in the campground and had to back up a couple of football fields and it seemed to do a nice job of keeping it straight with little effort.

I love the trailer light test also. Nice feature and makes it easy to check the lights yourself. It's right there in the trailer menu and only takes a couple of button pushes to get there once you know where it is.

And on a side note, anyone, including me, who drives a modern Ram pickup could be classified as a *****. I mean come on! Using a trailer assist backup feature is what makes you a ***** or not able to think for yourself? 🤣

How about driving a truck with power steering, power brakes, air conditioning, heated seats, remote start, backup cameras, AM/FM/XM/Bluetooth, a heater, reclining seats, etc etc etc. All of that is for pussies!

Electric windows? Good grief learn how to use the knob and roll em down like a real man. Real men don't need any of that.

I drove lots of vehicles without any of that over the years. Quite a few without working heat in Upstate NY. That's what real Men do! Manual windows, no power brakes or steering, and absolutely no air conditioning for us real men. GPS Maps? Really! Be a man and grab the paper map! Tailgates that hook closed with a chain is the only way to go. The gas tank behind the seat? So what! Suck it up. Only pussies worry about 20 gallons of gas right behind your back lol! Been there done all of that and frankly, I am ready to be classified as a *****! Don't care to ever go back to those days.

I drove this POS for 3 years in the '80s and it was one of my nicer vehicles back then. Three on the tree and had to remove screws to open the tailgate! Holes in the floor, no heat, and the steering wheel moved 4 inches in either direction before it engaged. Some long upstate NY winters in that thing...oh and I almost forgot the manliest thing of all... it was 2-wheel drive! If you need a 4-wheel drive you are a super ***** :)!

I'm ordering my "I'm a big *****" t-shirt right after I post this and will wear it with pride! :cool:

Screenshot_20201119-091503_Photos.jpg

Dewey

Reaction score
Believe me, if you ever tow a travel trailer on I-95 or through Jacksonville (or any busy bypass for that matter) you will greatly appreciate the blind-spot and cross-path detection option. Well worth the $595 price!
I ordered it just for that reason driving on my local interstates. Had enough close calls when people whip out outa nowhere then sit in the blind spot. I can see how it will come in real handy towing too. I allowed myself a few assists this time I never would have considered before. Technology is good but I’ll never be all in with it. Gets to be a bit too much.

20GladRubicon

Reaction score
I ordered it just for that reason driving on my local interstates. Had enough close calls when people whip out outa nowhere then sit in the blind spot. I can see how it will come in real handy towing too. I allowed myself a few assists this time I never would have considered before.
The nicest thing about it is if you use tow/haul mode it extends your blind-spot detection and alert all the way to the back of the trailer. Makes merging less of a white knuckler.

Dewey

Reaction score
I could never quite master the Trailer backup system. I didn't have the calibration issue but I think it takes a learning curve to use it so I end up backing in manually. The one time it did really come in handy and worked well was when I went down the wrong road in the campground and had to back up a couple of football fields and it seemed to do a nice job of keeping it straight with little effort.

I love the trailer light test also. Nice feature and makes it easy to check the lights yourself. It's right there in the trailer menu and only takes a couple of button pushes to get there once you know where it is.

And on a side note, anyone, including me, who drives a modern Ram pickup could be classified as a *****. I mean come on! Using a trailer assist backup feature is what makes you a ***** or not able to think for yourself? 🤣

How about driving a truck with power steering, power brakes, air conditioning, heated seats, remote start, backup cameras, AM/FM/XM/Bluetooth, a heater, reclining seats, etc etc etc. All of that is for pussies!

Electric windows? Good grief learn how to use the knob and roll em down like a real man. Real men don't need any of that.

I drove lots of vehicles without any of that over the years. Quite a few without working heat in Upstate NY. That's what real Men do! Manual windows, no power brakes or steering, and absolutely no air conditioning for us real men. GPS Maps? Really! Be a man and grab the paper map! Tailgates that hook closed with a chain is the only way to go. The gas tank behind the seat? So what! Suck it up. Only pussies worry about 20 gallons of gas right behind your back lol! Been there done all of that and frankly, I am ready to be classified as a *****! Don't care to ever go back to those days.

I drove this POS for 3 years in the '80s and it was one of my nicer vehicles back then. Three on the tree and had to remove screws to open the tailgate! Holes in the floor, no heat, and the steering wheel moved 4 inches in either direction before it engaged. Some long upstate NY winters in that thing...oh and I almost forgot the manliest thing of all... it was 2-wheel drive! If you need a 4-wheel drive you are a super ***** :)!

I'm ordering my "I'm a big *****" t-shirt right after I post this and will wear it with pride! :cool:

View attachment 132796
Greatest post ever. Thanks for this. We needed a little ego killing humor in this thread. Some guys are wound far too tight.😆

kdawg

Reaction score
sounds like a few of you guys spend more time calibrating and recalibrating a useless feature than enjoying your boat or camper.I have 9 various trailers.. Absolute waste of time .. Just learn to back up. You learned to drive FORWARD didnt you? Or do you have a self-drive car too?

Here's another thread for you to release all your suppressed anger:

Dewey

Reaction score
After using the Trailer Reverse Steering for a bit here’s my assessment……..

It does what it’s programmed to do but cannot duplicate what a person skilled with backing a trailer can do. I find myself getting frustrated with it at times and just grabbing the wheel and cancelling it out then doing it myself much quicker. This is especially true when making sharp turns in reverse. I find it pretty much worthless for that. I didn’t like how the system kept braking and not allowing me to turn how I wanted it to. Seems like they dumbed it down quite a bit so people cannot damage anything. Not surprising I guess.

Backing long distances in a straight line it’s awesome. Just leave it straight and let the system do it’s magic and then slightly fine tune with the dial when needed. Great for backing down long driveways or boat slips. The system is very accurate in that regard. Most people tend to oversteer and can’t back perfectly straight but the TRS does it very accurately with very little side to side steering. I backed over a 1/4 mile at one point and it worked perfect. That can be real handy on some remote forest roads I get on sometimes with no turnarounds for many miles.

Earlier I had a lot of problems with calibration but seems much better now. Thinking I didn’t drive enough last time to get my boat and trailer fully entered into the system. Seems to work fine every time activating now.

I installed my TPMS sensors in my boat trailer tires and really like that feature. Nice being able to monitor them from the drivers seat on long trips. That alone pleases me for buying the package.

One thing I noticed is that my trailer tow trip odometer doesn’t register. I’m guessing my truck doesn’t recognize my boat/trailer since it doesn’t have electric brakes. From what I understand that’s what activates much of the towing features. Kinda stinks and wish that would work but not a real big deal.

Bottom line is if you have a large travel trailer or other trailer with electric brakes then the Trailer Tow Group package is probably a real nice thing to have since you can use all the features. In my case with only towing an average size boat or smaller trailers without electric brakes it probably a little overkill but in the end I still see plenty of value in it.

Hopefully this gives everyone a little bit of insight into how it all works.

Last edited:

Kicker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
who exactly said ANYTHING about guns Elmer ? or are you one of those who think guns fire all by themselves ? Mine must be defective, I ve had them for decades and guess what? They never shot anyone! Imagine that.. But many have died from drunks driving PICK UPS! You seem pretty proud of yours , wanna ban it?
I think he is referring to the fact that fudds think that all you need is a shotgun and bolt action rifle, everything else is unnecessary whereas gun enthusiast want belt fed giggle sticks.

Rich6896

Reaction score
Ram needs to allow us to manually set the trailer length, I was playing with it today and It made me calibrate on what should be a known trailer. Then I get home and it asks me to recalibrate again. It sux.

Dewey

Reaction score
Ram needs to allow us to manually set the trailer length, I was playing with it today and It made me calibrate on what should be a known trailer. Then I get home and it asks me to recalibrate again. It sux.
Agree. The system isn’t very user friendly that way. Been driving around launching my boat all week and I would say 75% of the time when activating to back up it tells me to calibrate the trailer even after driving with it hooked up for 20 miles making multiple turns. Very frustrating. When it works it works nicely but so far it’s a crap shoot when it will activate.

Gary1243

Reaction score
A bit late on this one, but found the topic interesting since I have the trailer towing package (I bought my truck off the lot and it was already an add on).

I’ve been pulling a boat trailer and travel trailer for many years. Do I need this package? Nope. Do I like this package? Yep. Is it a decent value? Depends.

I put the sensors on my travel trailer since it was a used trailer and I put on new tires. That feature works good. Seems to read a bit higher than my manual tire pressure gauge. Each morning as I start out with my trailer I quickly check my truck and trailer pressures and it works nicely and on long trips sporadically throughout the day.A safety feature for me.

The trailer lighting feature I find useful. It just is so easy to check each morning before heading out. Another safety feature for me.

Not sure if trailer blind spot monitoring is part of this package , but it is indeed beneficial and works well As previously described. To me this is a must safety feature as we all make mistakes from time to time. I spent 28 years with the Oregon State Police, mostly patrolling the highways. Safety is just an issue that is programmed into my DNA.

The trailer backing feature. I don’t use it, but it does work for my wife when i had her practice it should she need to do it someday. She hasn’t ever had to back a trailer yet, but she’s a gamer if the time would come.

Was it worth the $1000? Only you can be the judge of that since we all have different levels of experience and comfort.

Gary

Steven666

Reaction score
I actually really enjoyed the feature, while it worked. This is my first truck and had NO experience backing a trailer before getting my camper, so this feature was nice to have. It made backing my camper through the gate (only have about 2" to spare on either side) much less stressful and worked amazingly well. However, it only worked the first few times I tried it. Now it just tells me to calibrate it. I can drive 100 miles with the camper in tow, and it still tells me to calibrate the system. Even immediately after calibrating it, I am again told to calibrate. I finally gave up on even trying and just take my time backing it myself.
I’m a newb at trailering and just got a boat. When trailer steering works I look like a pro. With the boat off, the trailer needs to recalibrate again and again plus continually applies the brakes. Luckily backing an empty trailer at a busy boat ram is very therapeutic, not!

Dewey

Reaction score
I’m a newb at trailering and just got a boat. When trailer steering works I look like a pro. With the boat off, the trailer needs to recalibrate again and again plus continually applies the brakes. Luckily backing an empty trailer at a busy boat ram is very therapeutic, not!
The boat off trailer recalibration is annoying. You would think they thought of that when developing. Defeats the whole purpose of having the option for everybody with boats.
You can disable your rear park sensor or just disable reverse breaking in your settings. Tonight mine braked hard when backing up with a bike rack on. I forgot to disable.😫

RamCares

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
For anyone who have had concerns with constant calibrations on this system, could you send us a private message with your VIN? Our quality team has been looking into this concern and asked for any examples we could find.

Thank you!
Kaitlin
Ram Cares

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
For anyone who have had concerns with constant calibrations on this system, could you send us a private message with your VIN? Our quality team has been looking into this concern and asked for any examples we could find.

Thank you!
Kaitlin
Ram Cares
PM sent

irishwake63

Reaction score
Man this is worse than the F150 forum. I have the feature and have been backing trailers for years as well but it was in the truck when I bought it so I will give it a go next time I camp. But if ya wont normally say these things to someones face then why say it on a forum? No reason for the back n forth if you dont like the feature then say nothing simple as that. The OP asked a question either answer his question or move to a tough guy chat. He didnt ask for opinions he asked for help.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Truck came with this on the Trailer Tow Group. I have been a Yard Jockey moving Semi rucks and used to Push Back
Commercial Aircraft for a few Years. I do need to extend the Tongue on my 8.5 X 24' Enclosed Cargo Trailer so the
Blind Spot Monitoring will work Right.

Malodave

Users who are viewing this thread