5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer Reverse Steering

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was playing around with this a bit today for the first time with my boat hooked up.

Seems to work pretty good when activated but the problem I’m having is half the time it won’t work and asks for calibration even shortly after I just used it and worked perfectly fine.

Do I need to drive more to get it better calibrated with my trailer? I read and understood the calibration procedure and it obviously works fine sometimes but pretty annoying when it won’t. Anybody else have this problem?

Dewey

Reaction score
It's for pussies. Just learn to back your trailer the normal way FFS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wow! Why don’t you tell me how you really feel.😆

That’s a given. Thanks for your input but I know perfectly well how to back trailers. Been launching boats for 35+ years but thought since I have this package on my truck I better make sure it’s working right. I like it so far but found it does have some bugs. Just asking a simple question and hoping there’s a simple answer.

One thing I really love so far is the auto trailer light test. That’s really convenient and works very well. Great for doing a quick light check when your solo.

Last edited:

fishslayer

Reaction score
I really hate to say it but I agree with him .. learn to back up a trailer by yourself. Its really not difficult with our big outside mirrors ..find a parking lot and practice. We are all getting far to dependent on electronic gadgets. We are losing the ability to think and make decisions for ourselves .. How else do you explain a clueless, senile, grumpy ,clumsy, old fool getting 80 million votes?

n8zcc

Reaction score
Trailer steering is gimmicky, we have been backing trailers for how many years using a mirror or looking over our shoulders. Backing a trailer is simple, place your steering hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and move the steering wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go. The biggest issue is folks over-steer, a bit of practice will solve that, save the grand it costs for a steering knob.

n8zcc

Reaction score
One thing I really love so far is the auto trailer light test. That’s really convenient and works very well. Great for doing a quick light check when your solo.
I don't want to rain down on this feature but really, you have to search through the settings to find the feature and turn it on. What is wrong with simply turning on the 4-ways, and the parking lights (faster to implement). This is how we have always done the light check.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow, tell us you're a boomer without telling us you're a boomer. The guy asked a question, if you can't answer it or try to help just don't post.

@Dewey, do you get the calibration error if you just hooked up the trailer and tried to back it? I don't have the feature, but I've noticed that the truck doesn't always accurately recognize the length of my trailer for blind spot until I've driven it for a bit. Maybe it has to do with that?

fishslayer

Reaction score
So no one is allowed opinions here but you? You should be in CA instead of TN.. and how exactly does YOUR post help him? just sayin .. many of us think that option is just wasted money .. we can still do that. you can disagree, WE DONT MIND other opinions

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So no one is allowed opinions here but you? You should be in CA instead of TN.. and how exactly does YOUR post help him? just sayin .. many of us think that option is just wasted money .. we can still do that. you can disagree, WE DONT MIND other opinions
I'm trying to help work through diagnosing the problem by getting more information. YOU on the other hand, are providing no help whatsoever other than to bring politics into a thread that has nothing to do with politics. If you don't want newfangled gadgets that TaKe AwAy YoUr DeCiSiOnS then buy a 1990 Chevy and get off the Ram forum. Here, just in case you can't figure out the electronics of today's age just click the underlined words to the right -----> https://www.cars.com/shopping/chevrolet-1500-1990/

Last edited:

fishslayer

Reaction score
I think you might want to seek professional help.. Anger Management classes maybe.. and when you have the authority from your keyboard position in your moms basement,to kick me off, with your cancel culture mentality, go for it . Til then, ITS STILL AMERICA ..

Dewey

Reaction score
No need to tell me how to back a trailer like I’m some kind of moron. Good grief. Sorry for asking a simple question about an option available on our trucks. Crazy world we live in these days. 😩

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
I actually really enjoyed the feature, while it worked. This is my first truck and had NO experience backing a trailer before getting my camper, so this feature was nice to have. It made backing my camper through the gate (only have about 2" to spare on either side) much less stressful and worked amazingly well. However, it only worked the first few times I tried it. Now it just tells me to calibrate it. I can drive 100 miles with the camper in tow, and it still tells me to calibrate the system. Even immediately after calibrating it, I am again told to calibrate. I finally gave up on even trying and just take my time backing it myself.

Dewey

Reaction score
The thing I don’t like is even though for instance my boat and trailer were calibrated once I launch my boat that calibration is no good anymore according to the owners manual. Kinda defeats the purpose. I sure the heck ain’t gonna drive around aimlessly to calibrate my empty trailer before re-loading my boat again. Typically it’s almost a straight shot backing up from my parking spots.

I still prefer to back without any assistance but there are times where this feature would be really helpful especially at those really tricky and tight launches. The little bit I played with it seemed like it was steering nicely and very accurately with little effort except for one time when it slammed on my brakes because it must have thought my trailer angle was too sharp. Pulled ahead a bit and the system still stayed active.

Too me this is option has much more value to me than front/rear park sensors, adaptive cruise, blind spot detection, auto parallel park, lane assist, hill start assist, cross path detection, start/stop and all the other crazy stuff they add these days.

Dewey

Reaction score
Another question I had was the trailer tire pressure monitoring included in this package. A package of tire sensors came in my glove compartment and was gonna mount them in my boat trailer tires.

Are these reliable and accurate?

I drive 3-4 hours often on longer fishing trips and that would be nice for monitoring my boat trailer tires.

n8zcc

Reaction score
Very nice demonstration of the feature. I also watched the trailer backup feature TFL did a while back to determine if this was an option I wanted to order. Now I feel compelled to make a video demonstrating the same using just the steering wheel. Seeing the number of calibration issues, I'm glad I kept my thousand bucks and stayed with the steering wheel.

I guess I'm old school, I just don't see the need for this outside of competitiveness with other brands simply because they have it. At least RAM's version doesn't require checkboard black and white placards on the trailer.

Markvv

Reaction score
Another question I had was the trailer tire pressure monitoring included in this package. A package of tire sensors came in my glove compartment and was gonna mount them in my boat trailer tires.

Are these reliable and accurate?

I drive 3-4 hours often on longer fishing trips and that would be nice for monitoring my boat trailer tires.
I have them installed on my 32' travel trailer and they work great.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lol at anyone measuring their manhood by their ability to back up a trailer. This is why I ignore the "advice" from anti-tech truck and gun fudds.

@Dewey , I've had the same issue with it asking me to calibrate it at times. I like the feature, particularly if I have to back a trailer down an alley/road or if I have a smaller utility trailer behind me that's not easy to see.

On the trailer TPMS, I've found mine to be very accurate. The peace of mind having those while towing thousands of miles has made the feature well worth it.

fishslayer

Reaction score
sounds like a few of you guys spend more time calibrating and recalibrating a useless feature than enjoying your boat or camper.I have 9 various trailers.. Absolute waste of time .. Just learn to back up. You learned to drive FORWARD didnt you? Or do you have a self-drive car too?

fishslayer

Reaction score
Lol at anyone measuring their manhood by their ability to back up a trailer. This is why I ignore the "advice" from anti-tech truck and gun fudds.

@Dewey , I've had the same issue with it asking me to calibrate it at times. I like the feature, particularly if I have to back a trailer down an alley/road or if I have a smaller utility trailer behind me that's not easy to see.

On the trailer TPMS, I've found mine to be very accurate. The peace of mind having those while towing thousands of miles has made the feature well worth it.
who exactly said ANYTHING about guns Elmer ? or are you one of those who think guns fire all by themselves ? Mine must be defective, I ve had them for decades and guess what? They never shot anyone! Imagine that.. But many have died from drunks driving PICK UPS! You seem pretty proud of yours , wanna ban it?

Users who are viewing this thread