5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer odometer functions

Kramersp

Reaction score
So my bass boat trailer has surge brakes and not electric. I put the truck in "Tow/Haul" and the blind spot activates smoothly but the truck won't let me track trailer miles. Will it only do that with electric brake equipped trailers?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I do not know for sure. But I do believe that you have to have the trailer brake controller to add trailers, set the gain, and track mileage. That was how it was with my 2013 Ram 2500.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting. You did plug into the 4 pin plug for lights though...so it should have seen a trailer. Guess the electric brakes must be the defining factor.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you couple a trailer with out electronic brakes you can still select electronics brakes and assign your trailers with surge brakes. The truck will not read when to apply brakes on your non electronic brake trailer but will not cause any harm to the trailer or the truck Brake control.

Rich

Reaction score
I have a light hybrid snowmobile trailer that has LED lights, but no brakes, so it only uses the 4 PIN trailer connector.

The Trailer Trip computer (trailer trip miles) doesn't register at all.

The manual has no clues as to how to get the trailer trip odometer to start registering.

Here's my thread on it.
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/towing-trip-computer.5646/

I tried searching, but didn't find this thread until someone pointed me to it.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a light hybrid snowmobile trailer that has LED lights, but no brakes, so it only uses the 4 PIN trailer connector.

The Trailer Trip computer (trailer trip miles) doesn't register at all.

The manual has no clues as to how to get the trailer trip odometer to start registering.

Here's my thread on it.
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/towing-trip-computer.5646/

I tried searching, but didn't find this thread until someone pointed me to it.
Did you try what @Ramit392 suggested? If you havent had the chance, please let us know as the conversation wasn't resolved originally

Rich

Reaction score
Did you try what @Ramit392 suggested? If you havent had the chance, please let us know as the conversation wasn't resolved originally

I did have the 'light trailer' previously selected. I'll have to look again to see if it works differently if I select this after connecting the trailer. I don't see a selection for "no trailer connected", or "Trailer with no brakes", so I'm not sure this would make a difference?

idivebonaire

Reaction score
Is there any way that anyone knows to get the trailer odometer to work on trailer without bkakes?
4 flat connector.
It works with 7 pin connector and trailer with brakes.
2021 Ram 1500 Limited

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any way that anyone knows to get the trailer odometer to work on trailer without bkakes?
4 flat connector.
2021 Ram 1500 Limited
It only works with the pulse from trailer brakes. Figure out how to get the pulse and it will work. Otherwise...it is not gonna happen

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
4 flat connector.
2021 Ram 1500 Limited
The trailer odometer tracking is a function of the integrated trailer brake module via the electric brake feed circuit from the module to the 7-way connector. The 4-way connector has nothing to do with the trailer brake module, as it only uses ground, park lamps, left turn/stop, and right turn/stop lamp circuits. Therefore, there is no way for the trailer brake module to track mileage on something plugged into the 4-way connector. One thing you can do is plug a 7-way adapter in that has a resistor from ground to electric brake feed at the same time you are using the trailer that is plugged into the 4-way. Then the trailer brake module will see something plugged into the 7-way port to be able to track mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread