5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer 360 Cameras

MtSpaces

Reaction score
Hello,
In 2023 I bought a trailer 360 camera set to use with my 2023 Ram 3500. I have since sold the 3500 and upgraded to a 2024 3500 duelly.

The cameras work in either truck but do not come in through the port as described in the instruction manual, which states; select trailer/trailer cameras and select “trailer surround camera”. This option is not available in either truck but I get the “aux 1” port instead. Where this does allow a 360 view, I do not believe it allows this to function as intended.

I have discussed this with two Ram dealers and still have not received an appropriate response to this.

The cameras were over $2k never mind installation on my rv, never mind buying 2 trucks

Anyway, if you could help I’d appreciate it!

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_3928.jpeg
    IMG_3928.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3931.jpeg
    IMG_3931.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3960.jpeg
    IMG_3960.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3961.jpeg
    IMG_3961.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 25

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello,
In 2023 I bought a trailer 360 camera set to use with my 2023 Ram 3500. I have since sold the 3500 and upgraded to a 2024 3500 duelly.

The cameras work in either truck but do not come in through the port as described in the instruction manual, which states; select trailer/trailer cameras and select “trailer surround camera”. This option is not available in either truck but I get the “aux 1” port instead. Where this does allow a 360 view, I do not believe it allows this to function as intended.

I have discussed this with two Ram dealers and still have not received an appropriate response to this.

The cameras were over $2k never mind installation on my rv, never mind buying 2 trucks

Scott
You might have better luck in the Homepage - HD Rams forum. This is the 5th Gen 1500 Rams site.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

Scott
Your truck is not configured for the trailer surround view cameras. Did you buy both trucks that included the trailer surround view camera option (with the kit coming with the truck in a box upon delivery)?
Or, did you buy the trucks, they happen to have the 12-pin trailer connector, bought the trailer surround view kit separately after the fact, and assume it would work?

Either way, what you have pictured means that you are missing the trailer gateway behind the push to start button, and you need to use alfaobd to enable the trailer surround view camera system so the trailer surround soft key will replace the AUX 1 soft key.

Instructions on what you need to do starting in this link:

MtSpaces

Reaction score
Your truck is not configured for the trailer surround view cameras. Did you buy both trucks that included the trailer surround view camera option (with the kit coming with the truck in a box upon delivery)?
Or, did you buy the trucks, they happen to have the 12-pin trailer connector, bought the trailer surround view kit separately after the fact, and assume it would work?

Either way, what you have pictured means that you are missing the trailer gateway behind the push to start button, and you need to use alfaobd to enable the trailer surround view camera system so the trailer surround soft key will replace the AUX 1 soft key.

Thank you!
I like your answer, I will convey this to my ram dealer and see if it makes sense to their service manager.

MtSpaces

Reaction score

Hello,
Thought you might like to hear the dealers response;

The Alfaobd is an aftermarket tool that we do not have. That is something that would have to be purchased from an aftermarket supplier.

We can try the factory tool but It wont have all the options that the Alfaobd tool has

This still doesn’t get any easier, I’ll have to make an appointment, let them try to change the setting then hook up my trailer and see if it works, if not we try again.

When I bought the second truck, I told them it had to be compatible with the cameras, don’t think this comes easy for the dealers, send like they didn’t know there was anything that needed to be configured.

Thanks again,

Scott

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,
Thought you might like to hear the dealers response;

The Alfaobd is an aftermarket tool that we do not have. That is something that would have to be purchased from an aftermarket supplier.

We can try the factory tool but It wont have all the options that the Alfaobd tool has

This still doesn’t get any easier, I’ll have to make an appointment, let them try to change the setting then hook up my trailer and see if it works, if not we try again.

When I bought the second truck, I told them it had to be compatible with the cameras, don’t think this comes easy for the dealers, send like they didn’t know there was anything that needed to be configured.

Thanks again,

Scott
The dealer won’t be able to activate trailer surround view, so don’t bother with having them try.
You’re going to have to do it yourself with alfaobd, and install the trailer gateway as outlined in the thread I linked above. There are also threads on that forum that explain what is needed for alfaobd and how to use it.

MtSpaces

Reaction score
The dealer won’t be able to activate trailer surround view, so don’t bother with having them try.
You’re going to have to do it yourself with alfaobd, and install the trailer gateway as outlined in the thread I linked above. There are also threads on that forum that explain what is needed for alfaobd and how to use it.
I don’t suppose you live near Cincinnati, OH

Me fix this? IMG_4494.png

I just ordered the attached meter, think I can fix it with this? Maybe I can lend it to the dealer?

vincentw56

Reaction score
I don’t suppose you live near Cincinnati, OH

Me fix this? View attachment 177003

I just ordered the attached meter, think I can fix it with this? Maybe I can lend it to the dealer?
He doesn't live near there. You will need AlfaOBD, SGW bypass, and OBD module. It was explained above.

MtSpaces

Reaction score
He doesn't live near there. You will need AlfaOBD, SGW bypass, and OBD module. It was explained above.
My 2024 came with a single camera so maybe it had the gateway? I also told them when I ordered the truck that I would be using the 360 cameras so they said they ordered what it works need for the cameras to work.

Does that change anything?

Also can’t find alfaobd on Amazon, where would I get such a device

vincentw56

Reaction score
My 2024 came with a single camera so maybe it had the gateway? I also told them when I ordered the truck that I would be using the 360 cameras so they said they ordered what it works need for the cameras to work.

It's not a device. It's software you use with Android or Windows.

MtSpaces

Reaction score
It's not a device. It's software you use with Android or Windows.
Thanks again

And here it is straight from the dealer . . .

I have reached out to see what options we have available. I have been researching and it does not look like we can add what is needed through the factory. You are correct, in it appears that the truck was not built with what is needed for the camera system to operate.

The only direction that I can point you to on your end would be to contact customer care with ram at 1-866-932-3878.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

If you want to get you trailer surround view camera kit working on your truck, this is the ONLY way. Buy these 4 items:
1) Trailer gateway- 68509331AB
2) OBD Bluetooth interface VLinker MC- https://a.co/d/8QUreER
3) Security gateway bypass- Security Module Bypass | KaodTech
4) Alfaobd in the google play store for android devices, or software download for windows at alfaobd.com (no iPhone support).

Install the trailer gateway using this link as a guide:

After that is installed, send me a private message, and your trailer surround view cameras will be working like factory an hour after that.

MtSpaces

Reaction score
One last question, is there a place such as a stereo installation store that knows how to do this with OEM equipment?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The missing trailer gateway part number that needs to be installed is OEM equipment.
Right now, alfaobd is the ONLY thing that can program to add the feature to the radio.

JScan is similar to alfaobd, and can be used on iPhone. Right now, it doesn’t have the trailer surround view setting, but I can have the developer add it for you.

If you go the JScan route, get JScan obd from the App Store.
Instead of getting the vLinker MC I linked above, you’ll need the vLinker MC+.
You will still need that same bypass.

I’m sure a shop can do it for you, but they’re going to have to learn how to use alfaobd or JScan just the same as you would have to.
It’s VERY easy to use, and will take you 5 minutes to make the setting change once I tell you what to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online