5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traded in the Raptor for a Rebel 12A....!!! Back to Mopar/Ram

Rebel Randy

Reaction score
I actually think these trucks drive fine with 35 and 3.92s. I think you will like it. I think you will appreciate the 1500 over the 2500 as well.

I’m also torn myself on doing a 4-4.5” setup with a blower or doing a 8-10 lift. I don’t want to pay the 60+ cent premium that’s now on 93 octane so I’m not sure about the blower. But it would be cool.

That’s one area that ford is better in, the 5.0 trucks can make like 650 pretty easy on a whipple or TVS. The rams.... :/

The PW was bad *** and it drove like a freakin' tank. That would be fun for a while I suppose but over time I think that the lack of responsiveness, handling and acceleration over the Rebel would get to me. And I really dont need the off road ability of the PW. But I suppose you never know when you might. When I'm offload it's usually with my dirt bike in the bed going out to an OHV area anyway.

I'm looking for a geometrically sound 4" lift. I could go 6" but I'm not sure about getting it into the garage. I'll have to measure.

And I think I'm pretty much done with Ford's Coyote based engines. I had a '16 GT350 that seized on me with only 3K miles on it. Ford also says that the tick in the Coyote engine people have been complaining about is normal. Both the 5.0 and the 5.2 FPC burn excessive amounts of oil. Seems like Ford has had this problem since they started that hot wire spray-in cylinder walls instead of regular sleeving.

Blee2221

Reaction score
I made the switch too from an 18 Gen 2 Raptor to a Rebel 12. My raptor was a lemon and the process to go through ford to get them to buy it back as well as their poor customer service led to jump ship. Glad I did. Love my rebel.

Nucdancer01

Reaction score
I switched from 18 Raptor 802A to Limited. I liked the raptor quite a bit, but bought a RZR Turbo S and never used the raptor the same.

Just a little bit of money and effort into the Ram and I am quite happy with it. Little more to go (without going crazy) and it’ll be just what I need. Gas mileage did drop less than raptor with 35’s, but gas cost is the same between the 2.

What I can say is the 99% comment is true. The raptor was a hell of a machine, but come on... it’s a truck. It was capable, but I didn’t drive it like the Vette, M3, or even SRT8. It was better than my SRT10 6-speed RAM, but not better than the limited (specifically based on comfort/drive/options/towing/brakes.)

Pictures attached for interest. Next to Laramie with 6” lift, next to friends raptor, other random photos...

c9c3af123ede348ad34de36eb2df36b4.jpg

4987964b86539257e4e429c4680aae76.jpg

f4242bd6a6f574ec7e990986a4e80333.jpg

3ab9bda38d1a0600af5376b556b17bb4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebel Randy

Reaction score
I made the switch too from an 18 Gen 2 Raptor to a Rebel 12. My raptor was a lemon and the process to go through ford to get them to buy it back as well as their poor customer service led to jump ship. Glad I did. Love my rebel.

I went through the lemon buyback with Ford as well, but I waited 6 months for another GT350. The buy back gal told me I could get a GT350R to replace it with. A few weeks went by before they got their s-h-i-t together and by the time I spoke to her again she stated it was for a regular GT350 and said "I dont know what the difference is between a GT350, a GT350R or a 350Z". That in a nut shell was the level of customer service I had to deal with, and had to wait 6 months since they dont make the GT350's in the winter.

I switched from 18 Raptor 802A to Limited. I liked the raptor quite a bit, but bought a RZR Turbo S and never used the raptor the same.

Just a little bit of money and effort into the Ram and I am quite happy with it. Little more to go (without going crazy) and it’ll be just what I need. Gas mileage did drop less than raptor with 35’s, but gas cost is the same between the 2.

What I can say is the 99% comment is true. The raptor was a hell of a machine, but come on... it’s a truck. It was capable, but I didn’t drive it like the Vette, M3, or even SRT8. It was better than my SRT10 6-speed RAM, but not better than the limited (specifically based on comfort/drive/options/towing/brakes.)

Pictures attached for interest. Next to Laramie with 6” lift, next to friends raptor, other random photos...

4987964b86539257e4e429c4680aae76.jpg

I had an '06 RC SRT-10 w/ the 6 spd as well. That truck was a hell of a lot of fun. Completely impractical however lol. Clutch went out within the first 12K miles.

Guess I'm a bit in the same position as I'm a dirt bike/ADV bike guy (300 XC-W and 1090R) so when on the dirt I'm usually on two wheels.

Can I ask you about your lift? Who'd you go with? Pros/cons etc? I'm researching a lift right now and don't know if I can find a good 4" lift. I might just bite the bullet and go with a 6" but am concerned about the clearance for my garage, loading bikes in the back etc.

Blee2221

Reaction score
I went through the lemon buyback with Ford as well, but I waited 6 months for another GT350. The buy back gal told me I could get a GT350R to replace it with. A few weeks went by before they got their s-h-i-t together and by the time I spoke to her again she stated it was for a regular GT350 and said "I dont know what the difference is between a GT350, a GT350R or a 350Z". That in a nut shell was the level of customer service I had to deal with, and had to wait 6 months since they dont make the GT350's in the winter.

I know exactly what you mean. In the beginning they offered me a replacement or a buyback. I initially chose to replace it. Weeks went by with no communication from Ford then they tell me I have to find the replacement vehicle on the ground or find a dealer with an allocation on my own. They wouldn’t help me. My originally selling dealer was going to give me a 19 allocation to replace my 18 with. Told Ford that. Another couple weeks went by and they came back and said we can’t replace your truck. That led into a huge debacle with me finally saying **** it, give me my money back. The most ridiculous customer service I’ve ever dealt with.

Nucdancer01

Reaction score

I had an '06 RC SRT-10 w/ the 6 spd as well. That truck was a hell of a lot of fun. Completely impractical however lol. Clutch went out within the first 12K miles.

Guess I'm a bit in the same position as I'm a dirt bike/ADV bike guy (300 XC-W and 1090R) so when on the dirt I'm usually on two wheels.

Can I ask you about your lift? Who'd you go with? Pros/cons etc? I'm researching a lift right now and don't know if I can find a good 4" lift. I might just bite the bullet and go with a 6" but am concerned about the clearance for my garage, loading bikes in the back etc.

I don’t have a lift per se..

I added 2.5” spacers and made my own links for air suspension. 35-12.50’s on stock wheels with 2” spacers for now until I settle on wheel choice.

_StangPGH

Reaction score
I sort of went from a Raptor to the Rebel but had a 2.5 year layover in a Tundra TRD Pro. I had an '11 gen 1 Raptor for 5 years which was awesome at the time. That's back when they were unique and nothing like it on the road. Now they're everywhere and they lost me in late '16 on the gen 2's with the Ecoboost and dealers had them at $5k-$10k over sticker.
TRD Pro was nice for a while but it's a really old platform especially on the interior / tech. Picked up a '19 Rebel in Max Steel and loving it. Best interior and quietest cabin I've ever experienced in a truck. Much much smoother on the road vs. the Tundra as well.

Progression... 2014-11-25 12.47.14.jpg 20180912_160004.jpg 20190620_232605.jpg

greatone99

Reaction score
I'm considering trading in my 2019 rebel 12 crewcab ,for a 2019 raptor ,not so sure after reading this . my take on it the raptor is far better looking on the exterior ,the rebel is light years ahead on the interior . the raptor is much faster ,rebel sounds way better , I thing the rebel is longer and taller ,the raptor is wider .

Nucdancer01

Reaction score
I'm considering trading in my 2019 rebel 12 crewcab ,for a 2019 raptor ,not so sure after reading this . my take on it the raptor is far better looking on the exterior ,the rebel is light years ahead on the interior . the raptor is much faster ,rebel sounds way better , I thing the rebel is longer and taller ,the raptor is wider .

IMO, I found the raptor was overbuilt for DD use. I am that guy.. I always have to buy the best.. (I know, I’m working on it!) .. within my price range of course, BUT-the raptor in a truck form was more sports car than I needed/wanted in a truck. It really was wasted capability.

I’ve had all different sorts of vehicles, vettes/z-28’s/Coyote mustang/SRT8/SRT10/M3’s/JLU/etc... after 1 year, I just couldn’t justify paying more for a less “trucky” truck, and rarely using the raptor’s capability. The Ram has plenty of personality once modified slightly, WAY more comfortable towing and daily driving, and honestly I’ve gotten more compliments on the RAM as well.

It comes down to what your goals/purpose will be. If you want the baddest stock truck out there-that will outrun about everything besides a V8 American muscle car (and higher end foreign cars), still get good gas mileage, will get used off-road, look extremely menacing.. get the raptor.

If you want comfortable, tons of tech, great quality interior, and use the leftover 15k to make it your own, keep the RAM.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IMO, I found the raptor was overbuilt for DD use. I am that guy.. I always have to buy the best.. (I know, I’m working on it!) .. within my price range of course, BUT-the raptor in a truck form was more sports car than I needed/wanted in a truck. It really was wasted capability.

I’ve had all different sorts of vehicles, vettes/z-28’s/Coyote mustang/SRT8/SRT10/M3’s/JLU/etc... after 1 year, I just couldn’t justify paying more for a less “trucky” truck, and rarely using the raptor’s capability. The Ram has plenty of personality once modified slightly, WAY more comfortable towing and daily driving, and honestly I’ve gotten more compliments on the RAM as well.

It comes down to what your goals/purpose will be. If you want the baddest stock truck out there-that will outrun about everything besides a V8 American muscle car (and higher end foreign cars), still get good gas mileage, will get used off-road, look extremely menacing.. get the raptor.

If you want comfortable, tons of tech, great quality interior, and use the leftover 15k to make it your own, keep the RAM.

I personally think that most guys get a Raptor, thinking it's a powerwagon - Ultimate offroader and a very good capable truck.
The Power wagon might have a lower payload (due to the springs) when compared to a true HD truck, but it's a "trucky" truck through and through.

Rebel Randy

Reaction score
I'm going through some buyers remorse as I did drive a Power Wagon a few times. The deal was sweeter with the Rebel as the incentives were better, lower msrp etc. Pros and cons to both of course. The Rebel is a more practical choice for me, daily driving wise, better and all new interior, loading dirt bikes is easier, it actually tows more than the PW, better road handling than the live axle in front of the PW, and a flat floor in the 2nd row, pano roof....man when I type it out it had a lot over the PW. But the PW is bad ***....:LOL:

If I were to flip the purchase around I'd be saying to myself that the Rebel would have been a better daily, I wouldn't use the offroad ability of the PW over what the Rebel has, it gets worse mpg's, it has an old cab, smaller sunroof, on and on and on.

I think I may have gone with the PW if it had the same cab as the new 1500's. This Rebel will be good for me until the Gen 5 2500's come out, or I may get into a TRX in time. Man it never ends does it...:p

Rebel Randy

Reaction score

You are the only one who can make the decision between the two. Food for thought, I had a '17 Raptor for over two years. It was great at first but then the crappy sound got to me, augmented with fake sound through the stereo. I had an oil cooler line pop off on a washboarded gravel road, my door locks froze up at Sun Valley over the New Year, and they replaced the warped plastic oil pan with the same pan. I rarely used the power over the Rebel's that I use now. And with the Borla Atak I just put on the sound of the 5.7L is really sweet in comparison. I have no remorse in trading in the Raptor as it was over the top for my use. But then I wonder if I should have traded it in for a PW so...:LOL:

greatone99

Reaction score
You are the only one who can make the decision between the two. Food for thought, I had a '17 Raptor for over two years. It was great at first but then the crappy sound got to me, augmented with fake sound through the stereo. I had an oil cooler line pop off on a washboarded gravel road, my door locks froze up at Sun Valley over the New Year, and they replaced the warped plastic oil pan with the same pan. I rarely used the power over the Rebel's that I use now. And with the Borla Atak I just put on the sound of the 5.7L is really sweet in comparison. I have no remorse in trading in the Raptor as it was over the top for my use. But then I wonder if I should have traded it in for a PW so...:LOL:
The Power wagon is bad *** for sure ,The ultimate truck ,truck, only reason I don’t have it it won’t fit in the garage

Kicker56

Reaction score
I’m trading in my ‘18 Raptor for a Rebel 12A on Monday. I love the Raptor but there isn’t any way to justify the price just to be a DD over the Rebel. Paying $45K for a loaded $62K truck, and they are giving $57K for a truck I paid $63K for and had for 18 months and put 23,000 miles on it. I feel I’m making out pretty darn good.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m trading in my ‘18 Raptor for a Rebel 12A on Monday. I love the Raptor but there isn’t any way to justify the price just to be a DD over the Rebel. Paying $45K for a loaded $62K truck, and they are giving $57K for a truck I paid $63K for and had for 18 months and put 23,000 miles on it. I feel I’m making out pretty darn good.

Once you do, go grab this extra rebate

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Seems like they have been having problems with vin numbers being in the system so you have to call them so they send you the actual app. Do it within 60 days of purchase. Many of us have already received our checks. No strings attached.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):

https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf

Rebel Randy

Reaction score

I think the days of Raptor resale value is at its zenith. They're freakin' everywhere in my neck of the woods. And given what's to come now is great time to sell 'em. Good job on this deal...(y)

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the days of Raptor resale value is at its zenith. They're freakin' everywhere in my neck of the woods. And given what's to come now is great time to sell 'em. Good job on this deal...(y)

I'm going to agree, I think value wise they're at their peak and may come down (again relative to the high re-sale of the raptors) in the near future

When the V8 raptor - you know the one that Ford's marketers and some, not all, some of their fans insisted wouldn't happen and wouldn't be necessary as it's "not 1969 anymore and no one wants V8s grandpa, hahahah!", that V8 raptor that we weren't getting but are now getting...

When it arrives, I wonder what the V6 raptor values will do? After all, if you ask some people, adding 2 more cylinders is a bad thing because it's 2019 or something.
If the V8 raptor has a higher take rate, and guys trade in their V6 ones, I wonder if the values will drop?

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is that actually happening though? Last I saw it was just rumored. Then it was the new 7.3 or what not but ford themselves said the 7L is not going in the f150. So ???

Rebel Randy

Reaction score
Is that actually happening though? Last I saw it was just rumored. Then it was the new 7.3 or what not but ford themselves said the 7L is not going in the f150. So ???

Just rumors right now. However Ram is going to build the TRX and when that happens only the fan boys will buy a V6 Raptor. Ford has to change their power plant it the Raptor to compete with the Hellcat engine in the coming TRX. It will also be more expensive than the TRX most likely.

Users who are viewing this thread