5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traded in the Raptor for a Rebel 12A....!!! Back to Mopar/Ram

Rebel Randy

Reaction score
Traded in my '17 Raptor last night. Good truck for the most part. Two warranty items. A coolant hose going to the oil cooler popped off while on a forest service road; and the plastic oil pan was warped, leaked and was replaced...by the same part # plastic oil pan. I had it for over two years and put 28K on it. Honestly it wasn't all that much faster in comparison to the new Rebel; and the Rebel handles better on the road for certain. Brakes are way better on the Rebel.

I test drove a Power Wagon back to back with the Rebel. I liked both equally but the Max Steel color of the Rebel won over the Granite of the PW. If they were same color...I don't know. I was really on the fence but the deal on the Rebel was better. I've been looking at both for several months. Can't believe the Rebel is rated to tow more than the PW. In all honesty the Rebel is more practical for me as I daily my trucks in the winter. The PW is bad *** though but would be a sacrifice as a daily.

Got a great deal on the Rebel and walked out with a very healthy check so quite pleased there. Got up early this morning, cleaned up and polished my new set of wheels. I nearly would have ordered it exactly like it. Two options I would have ordered that it doesn't have is a spray in bedliner (they're throwing in a Line-X with the deal) and wheel well liners. Compared to the bare Raptor wheel wells the Rebel's wells are 2/3rd's lined so I may not get liners after all.

I'd really like to get it lifted, and maybe larger tire and wheels (Fuel Beast) but I need to do my research first. But yeah really pleased right now:

Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 2.44.21 PM.png
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg

Caballonegro

Reaction score
Nice, Surprised to see a Raptor traded in on a Rebel, I hear a lot of great things on the Raptor. Though I myself am not a fan of them.

Last edited:

Rebel Randy

Reaction score
Nice, Surprised to see a Raptor traded in on a Rebel, I hear a lot of great things on the Raptor. Though I myself are not a fan of them.

Yeah I was torn. I drove it for 28K. I did like the power, it does have lag though. The transmission is just ok, hunts a lot. The sound absolutely sucks however, fake engine noise. I missed having a V8 was the bottom line and the new Rams looks great and plenty of tech, nicest interiors available. There's a lot to like about them and the current F150's are getting tired. I had a '12 1500 Sport before my Raptor. I like the engine but that 6 spd sucked. The new 8spds are great.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sounds like you got what you wanted. The F150 is definitely getting long in the tooth just like the RAM was before the redesign.

Caballonegro

Reaction score
Yeah I was torn. I drove it for 28K. I did like the power, it does have lag though. The transmission is just ok, hunts a lot. The sound absolutely sucks however, fake engine noise. I missed having a V8 was the bottom line and the new Rams looks great and plenty of tech, nicest interiors available. There's a lot to like about them and the current F150's are getting tired. I had a '12 1500 Sport before my Raptor. I like the engine but that 6 spd sucked. The new 8spds are great.

The Sound is the number 1 reason I don't like them, there is a rumored GT500 Motored Raptor coming.

Rebel Randy

Reaction score
The Sound is the number 1 reason I don't like them, there is a rumored GT500 Motored Raptor coming.

Which is another reason why I got out of mine. If Ram produces the TRX with the Hellcat engine it will force Ford's hand to build a V8 Raptor again.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Congrats. Nice to hear you prefer the Rebel. I was looking at raptors and didn’t buy it for the exact reasons you traded it.

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Seems like they have been having problems with vin numbers being in the system so you have to call them so they send you the actual app. Do it within 60 days of purchase. Many of us have already received our checks. No strings attached.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):

https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The transmission is just ok, hunts a lot. The sound absolutely sucks however, fake engine noise. I missed having a V8 was the bottom line...

Those were the exact same reasons I didn't even take a Raptor out for a test drive. Interior felt like a prop from an 80's low budget space movie and the V6, no matter how much power it had, had me checking if I was wearing panties.

V8 Hemi reliability and the best 8 speed trans currently in any truck were more than enough... and then I sat in it... "Honey! Write the dang cheque! Now!"

pgers22

Reaction score
sweet looking ride for sure. made the smart move out of Ford and into Ram. I came from GMC so believe me this Rebel is a huge upgrade, maybe not as much from a Raptor but still upgrading. Best of luck and welcome

AlphaRebel

Reaction score
Awesome! I came from a 2015 F-150, when my lease was up, I was looking at a new 2019 F-150 and was like I'm tired of this interior, then went and sat in the Rebel and took it for a test ride and that was it. The sales guy at the Ford dealership said once he knew I was going to look at the RAM he knew he was going to loose the sale.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Awesome! I came from a 2015 F-150, when my lease was up, I was looking at a new 2019 F-150 and was like I'm tired of this interior, then went and sat in the Rebel and took it for a test ride and that was it. The sales guy at the Ford dealership said once he knew I was going to look at the RAM he knew he was going to loose the sale.
Thats an amazing statement!

Diesel

Reaction score
Man, what a revelation, a decision that must have been hard fought? Ford Raptor has led the way, both in terms of off-road prowess, but in prestige with its 6.2L beast and even more, a rock solid 450HP, 510tq 3.5L Eco-Beast. There is no questioning this and year after year, no manufacturer can match the results. Where Ford Failed, 80% of consumers will never be taking this truck to that level. What a miscalculation, but...Ford has been out selling everybody for years and they know it. Just got to Ford and Ram website and do a personal build. It will be then you'll see Ford will nickel and dime you for the options. Don't get me wrong, Ford is a great company but I'm a Mopar man and while I may be slower, I will always have more prestige, ownership value, commitment, and loyalty, Just like Randy M! Congrats my Friend, Welcome to Mopar!

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe you're the second guy on the board who went from a Raptor to a Rebel?
Guy by the name of Jake did so too I think?
Both said that despite the power of the ecoboost being more than fine, neither miss it overall, neither loved the sound.
And I can't blame you, I hear them go by on the street I expect to see a Honda driven by a youngster with bad taste.... nope... Ford's premier $70,000 baja buggy.

The reality is the rebel will do 99% of what most raptor owners will actually do with their trucks on a day to day basis.
They are different trucks, and I do think the Ford is well made, and is a capable vehicle!
But the rebel is superior on the payload and towing end I believe, it's better as a TRUCK in that regard - it's easier to park width wise, it has a real V8, better interior, costs less, and aesthetically it's a very good looking truck.

Makes a ton of sense I think.

Rebel Randy

Reaction score
Man, what a revelation, a decision that must have been hard fought? Ford Raptor has led the way, both in terms of off-road prowess, but in prestige with its 6.2L beast and even more, a rock solid 450HP, 510tq 3.5L Eco-Beast. There is no questioning this and year after year, no manufacturer can match the results. Where Ford Failed, 80% of consumers will never be taking this truck to that level. What a miscalculation, but...Ford has been out selling everybody for years and they know it. Just got to Ford and Ram website and do a personal build. It will be then you'll see Ford will nickel and dime you for the options. Don't get me wrong, Ford is a great company but I'm a Mopar man and while I may be slower, I will always have more prestige, ownership value, commitment, and loyalty, Just like Randy M! Congrats my Friend, Welcome to Mopar!

Thank you...(y)I've been considering a trade for many months between a Rebel 12A and a Power Wagon. I also thought about waiting for the TRX but by then my Raptor would have tanked in value with added miles and brand new competition in the market. However, I'm glad I had the Raptor for over two years. Cant complain about the resale value either...!!! I figured I'd trade it now since the new 12A Rebel is really nice and does everything I need a truck to do. And got a swingin' deal to boot.

I'm not new to Mopar having had four others since '06. Had a '12 Ram 1500 Sport before the Raptor. Same 5.7 as my new Rebel. That was a great truck other than the terrible transmission. The 8 spd is so much better.

I believe you're the second guy on the board who went from a Raptor to a Rebel?
Guy by the name of Jake did so too I think?
Both said that despite the power of the ecoboost being more than fine, neither miss it overall, neither loved the sound.
And I can't blame you, I hear them go by on the street I expect to see a Honda driven by a youngster with bad taste.... nope... Ford's premier $70,000 baja buggy.

The reality is the rebel will do 99% of what most raptor owners will actually do with their trucks on a day to day basis.
They are different trucks, and I do think the Ford is well made, and is a capable vehicle!
But the rebel is superior on the payload and towing end I believe, it's better as a TRUCK in that regard - it's easier to park width wise, it has a real V8, better interior, costs less, and aesthetically it's a very good looking truck.

Makes a ton of sense I think.

I remember seeing Jake's post here and over at FRF. My sentiment may not ba as sharp as his over the Raptor. I loved it at first but over time the crap sound just got to me, the fake piped in engine sound tried to compensate, but it's still freakin' fake. The way it makes power just wasn't all that satisfying either and I do think the 8 spd in the Ram is better than the 10spd in the Raptor. The Raptor box tends to hunt around sometimes and really hangs in a gear in sport mode and not in a good way. I was fine with the Raptor interior till the '19 Rams came out lol. The Rebel tows over 3,300 lbs more than the Raptor as well and actually handles better on the street. The Raptor is a great road trip vehicle as it just soaks up the bumps. Those Fox shocks are nice for comfort.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congrats. I love this, finally someone who calls a spade, a spade. The raptor is the most over hyped truck ever, and I won’t soap box again about why but you made the right decision here. Enjoy!

With the extra cash, you could toss a blower on it :D

HKP7PSP

Reaction score

Funny, the Ford dealer I was looking at a Lariat at tried to talk me out of going to the RAM dealer as well, once I said I had another truck to look at before deciding. "Oh you'll like this one better, don't even waste your time over there."

They know.

Rebel Randy

Reaction score
Congrats. I love this, finally someone who calls a spade, a spade. The raptor is the most over hyped truck ever, and I won’t soap box again about why but you made the right decision here. Enjoy!

With the extra cash, you could toss a blower on it :D

MPG's would suffer greatly. But so they will with a lift/tires I'm considering as well. I do wonder if I should have just gotten a PW instead. It comes stock with 4.10's and 35's can go right on with no problem. But it doesn't have some of the nice interior stuff that the Rebel has, and daily practicality would suffer so...tradeoffs.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I actually think these trucks drive fine with 35 and 3.92s. I think you will like it. I think you will appreciate the 1500 over the 2500 as well.

I’m also torn myself on doing a 4-4.5” setup with a blower or doing a 8-10 lift. I don’t want to pay the 60+ cent premium that’s now on 93 octane so I’m not sure about the blower. But it would be cool.

That’s one area that ford is better in, the 5.0 trucks can make like 650 pretty easy on a whipple or TVS. The rams.... :/

Users who are viewing this thread