5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toyo Open Country AT3 - 305/45r22 - My Impressions

Goldsy

Reaction score
Same boat here and looking to upgrade soon. I love the look of the stock 22s, but wish the 20s existed with the same spoke design. The 22s look sharp, but really limit us on tire availability. I still haven’t decided on getting 20 inch wheels with Falken wildpeaks AT3s (by far my favourite AT tire) or keeping the stock 22s and putting on a set of Toyo open country or Cooper discoverers. I’ve had great luck with the coopers in the past, never tried the Toyos. Not a lot of AT XL options in 22s.

21Longhorn

Reaction score
I recently paired these with Vossen HF6-4 wheels on my Limited to replace the stock 22 inch wheels and Goodyear touring. I absolutely love the look - it completely changed the truck. As for noise, there is a little bit if you listen hard enough, but that is compared to the stock Goodyears which were literally silent.

As for the ride, I can't tell if I have a balancing issue or if these are just a bit more bouncy than stock, but the ride isn't as perfectly smooth as it was with the Goodyears. I have a feeling the tires need to be rebalanced which is causing a slight vibration to come through. I ordered this as a complete set from Custom Offsets - they mounted and balanced them and shipped to my door. Two of the wheels said they did not require any additional weight. Does this seem odd to anyone? For such a big tire, I would assume there are always some high/low spots that need to be balanced.

View attachment 105035 View attachment 105036
What size tires did you go with? and are those 22" wheels or did step down to the 20" wheel?

stevestrike

Reaction score
Finally got my truck washed, so here's a couple of side shots for the person that requested them.

Attachments

• IMG_5514.jpeg
    IMG_5514.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_5512.jpeg
    IMG_5512.jpeg
    231.7 KB · Views: 380

Bjansma

Reaction score
I went back and forth on which tires to get for my stock 22s. To be quite honest, my 22" rims are probably the only thing on my truck that I don't absolutely love. They look nice, but given the choice, I would've gone with 20s or 18s so that I could have some more meat on my tires.

I wanted something that could handle forest service roads and with give me good snow performance in the winter. I drive a lot in the mountains in the winter where grip is absolutely crucial. After quite a bit of research, I landed on the OC3s.
My next decision was going to involve sizing. I wanted something meatier than stock but I didn't want to mess with trying to recalibrate my speedo. The 305/45r22s seemed to be the best compromise for me. For those trying to decide between 285/45r22 and 305/45r22, I really don't think you'll regret getting upsizing (I thought I might). IF anything, I'd consider going bigger.

Road noise is virtually nonexistent with these. Ride is definitely not worse than the stock tires and if anything, improved.
Fuel mileage hasn't seemed to take much of a hit surprisingly enough. I only had the stock tires for about 800 miles before I put on these Toyos, but I was averaging about 24.5 mpg 50/50 - city/highway. I'm actually averaging closer to 25+mpg now with the same driving routine.

So far, the only thing I don't know is the winter performance on these tires. Looking forward to finding out.

Feel free to ask me any questions you might have and I'll do my best to answer.
Do you have any rubbing when the wheel is fully turned?

firemanjay

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but looking at the specs for this size tire, they all seem to say you need a 9.5 inch rim, aren't the 22" rims 9 inch in width? Will they work ok? Will it void any warranty or cause any problems? Have been looking at the Atturo in the same size

Bjansma

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but looking at the specs for this size tire, they all seem to say you need a 9.5 inch rim, aren't the 22" rims 9 inch in width? Will they work ok? Will it void any warranty or cause any problems? Have been looking at the Atturo in the same size
I dont believe the .5in difference would cause any issues only thing it would change is how the sidewall looks slightly so it might seem more stretched out

mwoods269

Reaction score
cheapest place to get the Toyo Open Country A/T III ? Also assume there is only 1 model? Load rating?

wareagleash

Reaction score
Discount Tire with beat any price you get from anywhere.
I just went with the 35's on 22in wheels and love them so far. Zero issues. Tire Discounters did the same thing and matched price.

Attachments

• IMG_5059.jpg
    IMG_5059.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 138

Tomek77

Reaction score
I went back and forth on which tires to get for my stock 22s. To be quite honest, my 22" rims are probably the only thing on my truck that I don't absolutely love. They look nice, but given the choice, I would've gone with 20s or 18s so that I could have some more meat on my tires.

I wanted something that could handle forest service roads and with give me good snow performance in the winter. I drive a lot in the mountains in the winter where grip is absolutely crucial. After quite a bit of research, I landed on the OC3s.
My next decision was going to involve sizing. I wanted something meatier than stock but I didn't want to mess with trying to recalibrate my speedo. The 305/45r22s seemed to be the best compromise for me. For those trying to decide between 285/45r22 and 305/45r22, I really don't think you'll regret getting upsizing (I thought I might). IF anything, I'd consider going bigger.

Road noise is virtually nonexistent with these. Ride is definitely not worse than the stock tires and if anything, improved.
Fuel mileage hasn't seemed to take much of a hit surprisingly enough. I only had the stock tires for about 800 miles before I put on these Toyos, but I was averaging about 24.5 mpg 50/50 - city/highway. I'm actually averaging closer to 25+mpg now with the same driving routine.

So far, the only thing I don't know is the winter performance on these tires. Looking forward to finding out.

Feel free to ask me any questions you might have and I'll do my best to answer.
Those tires look great. I am about to swap my original tires (285/45R22). My truck came with Pirellis, they are just ok. I want something wider to avoid rim scratches. Thanks for posting your review about 305/45R22. I think this will be the size i will go to. I just need to decide on the tire. I do 80% highway and 20% city (occasional country road). No true off road. I am considering Michelin Defender LTX - what do you think?

Beatle9999

Reaction score
I’m in the same boat. I have. 21 limited with the night edition 22’s. Thinking of going with the toyos 305/45/22. I do mostly highway driving but want a beefier look that the stock Goodyears which are almost bald at 22k miles. Anyone have any recent pics of the toyos with stock rims no mods??

PNW1500

Reaction score
Those tires look great. I am about to swap my original tires (285/45R22). My truck came with Pirellis, they are just ok. I want something wider to avoid rim scratches. Thanks for posting your review about 305/45R22. I think this will be the size i will go to. I just need to decide on the tire. I do 80% highway and 20% city (occasional country road). No true off road. I am considering Michelin Defender LTX - what do you think?

If you can afford them, the Michelin Defenders are really hard to beat. They are my favorite street tire. I have them on my wife's vehicle.

I ended up getting rid of the Toyo OC3's for Falken Wildpeaks. I was really happy with the Toyos at first, but after a winter here, they had to go. They don't do well in the rain/snow.

In my opinion, the Wildpeaks are the best multi-purpose tire and the Defenders are the best street tire.

Ready Go

Reaction score
Same boat here and looking to upgrade soon. I love the look of the stock 22s, but wish the 20s existed with the same spoke design. The 22s look sharp, but really limit us on tire availability. I still haven’t decided on getting 20 inch wheels with Falken wildpeaks AT3s (by far my favourite AT tire) or keeping the stock 22s and putting on a set of Toyo open country or Cooper discoverers. I’ve had great luck with the coopers in the past, never tried the Toyos. Not a lot of AT XL options in 22s.
Maybe check out Cooper's new tire..Cooper Discoverer Road & Trail AT. It's a next edition update to the AT3 that is highly rated. These are 620wear, 60k Warranty, 3Peak-rated, etc. Comes in 20bw and 22bw sizes, but are in early release mode (so limited?). Smaller sizes are rwl, but not 20/22s.
Take a look at Tire Rack for info.

Tomek77

Reaction score
If you can afford them, the Michelin Defenders are really hard to beat. They are my favorite street tire. I have them on my wife's vehicle.

I ended up getting rid of the Toyo OC3's for Falken Wildpeaks. I was really happy with the Toyos at first, but after a winter here, they had to go. They don't do well in the rain/snow.

In my opinion, the Wildpeaks are the best multi-purpose tire and the Defenders are the best street tire.
Thanks man, i think I will go with the Michelin Defenders, they are only 2 lbs heavier then stock tires, so fuel economy and acceleration should be very close. Some of the AT tires are 10-12lbs heavier.

naterizzle

Reaction score
I'm thinking of going with the 305/45R22 in order to get the XL rating and lower tire weight. I'd really like to have the 295/50R22, but the latter weighs a whopping 14 pounds more per tire (48 vs 62 pounds)! Seems like that's enough unsprung weight that it would have a pretty significant impact on performance.

Toyo states the 305 fits rim width 9.5-11.5" - is there truly no issue mounting on the 22x9 wheels? Is there any risk to the wheel or tire at all to be aware of in going outside those size parameters?

Wafp

Reaction score
I'm thinking of going with the 305/45R22 in order to get the XL rating and lower tire weight. I'd really like to have the 295/50R22, but the latter weighs a whopping 14 pounds more per tire (48 vs 62 pounds)! Seems like that's enough unsprung weight that it would have a pretty significant impact on performance.

Toyo states the 305 fits rim width 9.5-11.5" - is there truly no issue mounting on the 22x9 wheels? Is there any risk to the wheel or tire at all to be aware of in going outside those size parameters?
Fits just fine. I had rub from the front of the liners, I drilled two holes on each and zip tied them.

Users who are viewing this thread