5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toyo Open Country AT3 - 305/45r22 - My Impressions

m2kdc

Reaction score
I thought I’d chime in since this thread was really my deciding factor in tire decision. I decided to take advantage of the Mopar “Buy 3 Get 1 for a $1” deal.

I’m running a 2022 Laramie Night Edition, coil suspension, no lift or level. I had about 13,000 on the Pirelli Scorpion Verde. Ram did something right when they chose those over the Goodyears. Definitely a better tire but it’s a truck and those were something I’d run on my SUV. I should also say my driving style is spirited and I spend at least 80% of my time on pavement so I didn’t want anything too extreme.

After much deliberation around weight and reading other reviews about rubbing I decided to take a chance on the AT3s in 305/45r22. The dealership I took it too warned me that they may not fit but I told them to do it anyway and I’m glad I did!

Here’s my honest opinion after 2 days:
  • Look: HUGE improvement. Lots more stares from folks and even the dealership said they’d start recommending after seeing. I still think a taller sidewall would fill out the wells more but I also love the wide tire. It makes the truck look more planted.
  • Road noise: I LOVED the quiet in the can with the Pirellis. The Toyos are NOT silent. There is noticeable road noise even with the radio lowered. Is it bad, heck no. It’s very reasonable for the aggressive nature of the tires. I wanted the rugged look as well as performance so I’ll sacrifice a little noise for that.
  • Comfort: Immediately noticeable. Felt more planted on the road and even seemed to absorb more of the road defects. For those wondering I’m running 40 PSI.
  • Performance: I’m counting on a good winter this year so will update based on that, as well as wet and ice.
  • Rubbing: Drumroll…nothing! Perfection! I may still level the truck in the future but no immediate need! I’ll continue to put it in full lock situations and see if I can get it to run but this far not a single issue. IMG_4235.jpeg IMG_4236.jpeg IMG_4237.jpeg

ws6guy

Reaction score
For the guys that had rubbing was on the part of the wheel that's closest to the frame? I ask because I'm looking at getting the same tire size but also wheels that are 10" wide with -18 offset. Several people say it fits without rubbing or very slight rubbing. So I'm curious how the negative offset helps or increases the chance of rubbing,

mplaramie

Reaction score
For the guys that had rubbing was on the part of the wheel that's closest to the frame? I ask because I'm looking at getting the same tire size but also wheels that are 10" wide with -18 offset. Several people say it fits without rubbing or very slight rubbing. So I'm curious how the negative offset helps or increases the chance of rubbing,
Do you have a lift or level? Stock UCA's?

I run a 22x10 -18 wheel. Went with 285/50/22 size Toyo AT3'S for a few reasons. 1- to stay clear of rubbing the UCA. Have a 3" CO lift and Icon UCA's. Could probably go with a 295. 2- have no rubbing. I didn't want to cut, heat, bend anything. 3- I don't off road so stuffing a huge tire wasn't a big deal. The 285/50/22 is a 33.5" tire.

With the negative offset, you typically can rub the front mudflap because it brings the wheel out. If you look at the front mudflap/wheelwell, it jogs in a little bit. That's why the stock wheels are +19. It misses the stock UCA'S and at full lock, it falls into the indent.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

ws6guy

Reaction score
yeah that makes sense. Looking at the clearance with the stock wheels it appears it will be close to rubbing. I'd prefer to stick with a 9" wheel so I could stick with a 285 tire but the wheels I like are 10" and 285's look a little narrow on 10's.

I usually level my trucks and put on larger AT tires. However this time I'm going to leave the front alone and likely lower the rear and go with a highway tire instead.

Users who are viewing this thread