5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toyo Open Country AT3 - 305/45r22 - My Impressions

PNW1500

Reaction score
I went back and forth on which tires to get for my stock 22s. To be quite honest, my 22" rims are probably the only thing on my truck that I don't absolutely love. They look nice, but given the choice, I would've gone with 20s or 18s so that I could have some more meat on my tires.

I wanted something that could handle forest service roads and with give me good snow performance in the winter. I drive a lot in the mountains in the winter where grip is absolutely crucial. After quite a bit of research, I landed on the OC3s.
My next decision was going to involve sizing. I wanted something meatier than stock but I didn't want to mess with trying to recalibrate my speedo. The 305/45r22s seemed to be the best compromise for me. For those trying to decide between 285/45r22 and 305/45r22, I really don't think you'll regret getting upsizing (I thought I might). IF anything, I'd consider going bigger.

Road noise is virtually nonexistent with these. Ride is definitely not worse than the stock tires and if anything, improved.
Fuel mileage hasn't seemed to take much of a hit surprisingly enough. I only had the stock tires for about 800 miles before I put on these Toyos, but I was averaging about 24.5 mpg 50/50 - city/highway. I'm actually averaging closer to 25+mpg now with the same driving routine.

So far, the only thing I don't know is the winter performance on these tires. Looking forward to finding out.

Feel free to ask me any questions you might have and I'll do my best to answer.

Attachments

• Ram.jpg
    Ram.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 764
  • Wheel02.jpg
    Wheel02.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 749
Last edited:

RBRK

Reaction score
I’m in the same predicament. I just worry about noise. After running ko2’s on my 19 for 50k, I’m enjoying the stock sound or lack of, it want or need a better winter tire. I would imagine your Speedo is off slightly, have you checked with your phone using a speedometer app?

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
I recently put on same tire and size and my speedo is off about 1-1.5 mph at 65 mph . In my opinion it’s negligible . I think I’ve lost about 1-2 mpg . I have slight rubbing at full lock that I have t addressed yet, will see if I can use the heat gun to bend liner back a bit

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
Oh and as for noise, this is my first AT tire so I will say there is some noise , maybe more noticeable to me bc I’ve never run an AT before. But not bad at all

PNW1500

Reaction score
I’m in the same predicament. I just worry about noise. After running ko2’s on my 19 for 50k, I’m enjoying the stock sound or lack of, it want or need a better winter tire. I would imagine your Speedo is off slightly, have you checked with your phone using a speedometer app?

I've heard so many people complain about the road noise from KO2s, which is why I haven't ever tried them. As tough as we all think we are, 90% of our trucks are spending 90% of their time on the pavement. Finding the right balance between being tame enough on the street and aggressive enough to take off-road is tough for a tire manufacturer. Falken Wildpeaks and Toyo Open Country's are my favorite for this purpose. The first day I had on my OC's, I was trying really hard to listen for a difference and I could tell a little bit, but I was surprised at the lack of noise. It's not even noticeable anymore. The real test was that my wife didn't mention any difference in road noise.
The amount the speedo is off based on online calculators is acceptable to me; 20mph is actually 20.4mph; 60mph is actually 61.3 mph. We have a handful of "speed check" units around where I live and they always seem to read exactly what my truck reads. If there is a difference, it's too slight to notice.

I recently put on same tire and size and my speedo is off about 1-1.5 mph at 65 mph . In my opinion it’s negligible . I think I’ve lost about 1-2 mpg . I have slight rubbing at full lock that I have t addressed yet, will see if I can use the heat gun to bend liner back a bit

Yeah, I had to have lost mpg. I didn't have enough "data" with the stock tires to really come to an actual number. There was a guy that said he lost 6mpg with the 305s, which made me rethink buying them, but I'm nowhere close to that. I'm getting roughly 25mpg, mixed driving with ATs on a truck. I really can't complain. I drove around for about 2 weeks without any rub, but I decided to test out full lock in Entry/Exit mode. I did have a slight rub, which I fixed in about 5-10 minutes.

Oh and as for noise, this is my first AT tire so I will say there is some noise , maybe more noticeable to me bc I’ve never run an AT before. But not bad at all

Yeah, not bad at all. For an AT, really great. I've had a few different tires in the past that had quite a bit of noise on the highway especially.

stevestrike

Reaction score
I bought the same tires in Dec. 2020. Here's a mini-review:
  • Looks 10/10 These tires really make the truck. Lots of compliments from friends
  • Road noise 6/10 While not bad for an AT, there is a noticeable difference from the stock touring tire at all speeds
  • Gas Mileage 7/10 I think I've lost ~1 MPG on an already terrible truck for MPG. I get 14-15MPG in mixed driving.
  • Speedometer 9/10 Reads very close to my GPS and any speed checks for me to not even think about it
  • Fit 8/10 You will get some rubbing, but only at full turn. It's not bad enough for me to do anything about it yet
  • Rain/wet roads 6/10 I was a little surprised, but these tires want to slide a bit when going through puddles and standing water in the road. I've never lost traction, but they don't feel as planted as I would like if that makes sense.
Question: what tire pressure are you guys using with these oversized tires? I've ready everything from 45-65, and I haven't found anything super reliable on it. I'm running 55 now and it seems OK

JVS0302

Reaction score
I have these exact tires mounted up to new wheels sitting in my garage right now. Just waiting for this rain and humidity to clear so I can ceramic coat the wheels and then will install. Should be done by end of week and will share my impressions as well.

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
I bought the same tires in Dec. 2020. Here's a mini-review:
  • Looks 10/10 These tires really make the truck. Lots of compliments from friends
  • Road noise 6/10 While not bad for an AT, there is a noticeable difference from the stock touring tire at all speeds
  • Gas Mileage 7/10 I think I've lost ~1 MPG on an already terrible truck for MPG. I get 14-15MPG in mixed driving.
  • Speedometer 9/10 Reads very close to my GPS and any speed checks for me to not even think about it
  • Fit 8/10 You will get some rubbing, but only at full turn. It's not bad enough for me to do anything about it yet
  • Rain/wet roads 6/10 I was a little surprised, but these tires want to slide a bit when going through puddles and standing water in the road. I've never lost traction, but they don't feel as planted as I would like if that makes sense.
Question: what tire pressure are you guys using with these oversized tires? I've ready everything from 45-65, and I haven't found anything super reliable on it. I'm running 55 now and it seems OK
I’ve only had for about 2.5 weeks but I was alil disappointed as well with the performance in the rain.. I also am unsure what psi to run. Tire shop put in 40 so I figure I’d trial that for now.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’ve only had for about 2.5 weeks but I was alil disappointed as well with the performance in the rain.. I also am unsure what psi to run. Tire shop put in 40 so I figure I’d trial that for now.
No AT tire will perform well in the rain which is why most all tire buyers don't consider AT tires if wet traction is a priority. That is why I bought the Michelin Defender tires.

parana6

Reaction score
So let me get it straight. You are getting 25mpg on you truck???..
What king engine you have in there. So far I haven't seen anyone getting more than 18mpg. I pretty much drove my truck on a highway and measure that up on a trip to NY upstate maintaining 70mpg and didn't achieve that.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
So let me get it straight. You are getting 25mpg on you truck???..
What king engine you have in there. So far I haven't seen anyone getting more than 18mpg. I pretty much drove my truck on a highway and measure that up on a trip to NY upstate maintaining 70mpg and didn't achieve that.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
He’s got the eco diesel.

Dr. Cheeseburger

Reaction score
I ended up doing the exact same thing! Toyo Open Country AT3s 305/45R22 size. Love the looks, they are a little rougher riding and a little louder than the stock Goodyears (which I hated) but overall I love them. So far I have put about 1500 miles on mine and have zero complaints. I have stopped looking at the MPG screen in my dash because I cannot get it over 14 mpg. Probably 80% city driving though

B27D7FC7-38E0-4153-8CBA-972D56F43726.jpeg

RBRK

Reaction score
If they are similar to the wild peak AT as far as noise, then I am good with them. I even thought the Rebel Duratrac weren’t noisy. It’s just $380 a tire and I don’t want to regret Buying them.

river rat

Reaction score
I ended up doing the exact same thing! Toyo Open Country AT3s 305/45R22 size. Love the looks, they are a little rougher riding and a little louder than the stock Goodyears (which I hated) but overall I love them. So far I have put about 1500 miles on mine and have zero complaints. I have stopped looking at the MPG screen in my dash because I cannot get it over 14 mpg. Probably 80% city driving though

View attachment 103576

That's why I went with yokohama parada spec-x

tdager

Reaction score
I went back and forth on which tires to get for my stock 22s. To be quite honest, my 22" rims are probably the only thing on my truck that I don't absolutely love. They look nice, but given the choice, I would've gone with 20s or 18s so that I could have some more meat on my tires.

I wanted something that could handle forest service roads and with give me good snow performance in the winter. I drive a lot in the mountains in the winter where grip is absolutely crucial. After quite a bit of research, I landed on the OC3s.
My next decision was going to involve sizing. I wanted something meatier than stock but I didn't want to mess with trying to recalibrate my speedo. The 305/45r22s seemed to be the best compromise for me. For those trying to decide between 285/45r22 and 305/45r22, I really don't think you'll regret getting upsizing (I thought I might). IF anything, I'd consider going bigger.

Road noise is virtually nonexistent with these. Ride is definitely not worse than the stock tires and if anything, improved.
Fuel mileage hasn't seemed to take much of a hit surprisingly enough. I only had the stock tires for about 800 miles before I put on these Toyos, but I was averaging about 24.5 mpg 50/50 - city/highway. I'm actually averaging closer to 25+mpg now with the same driving routine.

So far, the only thing I don't know is the winter performance on these tires. Looking forward to finding out.

Any direct side views? Perhaps before/after? Thanks!

21Longhorn

Reaction score

would you mind posting some side shots?

Thanks,
Tim

JVS0302

Reaction score
I recently paired these with Vossen HF6-4 wheels on my Limited to replace the stock 22 inch wheels and Goodyear touring. I absolutely love the look - it completely changed the truck. As for noise, there is a little bit if you listen hard enough, but that is compared to the stock Goodyears which were literally silent.

As for the ride, I can't tell if I have a balancing issue or if these are just a bit more bouncy than stock, but the ride isn't as perfectly smooth as it was with the Goodyears. I have a feeling the tires need to be rebalanced which is causing a slight vibration to come through. I ordered this as a complete set from Custom Offsets - they mounted and balanced them and shipped to my door. Two of the wheels said they did not require any additional weight. Does this seem odd to anyone? For such a big tire, I would assume there are always some high/low spots that need to be balanced.

IMG_7508.jpg IMG_7511.jpg

RBRK

Reaction score
I can’t believe a tire that size wouldn’t take any weight. I would get them rechecked. Looks good!

Users who are viewing this thread