5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toy Haauler towing question

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just double check when you start looking at 2500s. Ive checked a bunch of them and they have barley had any higher payload than my 1500
Yep. Powerwagon will have around 1500
Mega Cab 2500 will have around 1900(less with diesel more with Hemi.)
And a Diesel 2500 will have just over 2000. If getting a mega cab or diesel...getting a 3500 is a no brainer.

But a Hemi 2500 will have around 3000

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just double check when you start looking at 2500s. Ive checked a bunch of them and they have barley had any higher payload than my 1500
Yeah the 2500’s with the Cummins have pretty low payloads, some well under 2000 pounds. If you want the Cummins and good payload you gotta go to a SRW 3500, or get a 2500 with the 6.4. Those have really nice payloads, around 3000 pounds and good towing numbers for a gasser.

fishslayer

Reaction score
I am towing a grand design with similar weights. Fortunately, there’s only 3 of us and the other 2 are light females. I had a major issue with the tail wagging the dog starting at 55mph. I was using a recurve r3 hitch 1000lb and upgraded to and 1200lb equalizer and all issues resolved. Pulls great at any speed.

I’d seriously question your choice of hitch. I think 1000lb bars are too small for 800lb + tongue weights. Equalizer even states their 1200lb bars are for 800-1200 lbs.

My point is really just to say if you tow it and it doesn’t feel good, try another hitch or heavier bars. I also have a hellwig swaybar and E rated tires. It might be fine, but don’t be discouraged if not. It can work with the right. But i do agree with others. 4 full size adults probably uses most of your payload before even hitching up.

Put everyone in a diet

Though I’ve corrected my immediate issue with a better hitch, I’ve already placed my order for a 1 ton truck. I’ll probably get a bigger rv, so I’m getting prepared.
If your "tail is wagging the dog" as you say, its mostly because your load is centered to far rearward on axles ., not the trucks rating.. easily corrected by rearranging cargo

Rototerrier

Reaction score
lol, if it were only that easy. We moved everything forward. It was the lowering of the ball that finally did the trick. Was a combination of many factors as usual. Big pain in the but to work out especially while traveling. We stopped and adjusted so many times. It was nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread