5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing with 37s?

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Oh wow, 1600+ is impressive! so taking into consideration the mods let’s say you added about 250 pounds. I’d keep payload under ~1400.
Wheels and tires are apart of a vehicles “Unsprung weight” even though the suspension does not hold up the weight, it still is apart of the truck, if you think about it, the axles are not held up by the suspension and they are included in the trucks empty weight.

So when you said 11,180 he took that and subtracted it from GCWR 17,000 (5820) then took 5820 and subtracted it from gvwr 7100 getting the 1280. Your towing by j2807 is 11,180 but by the numbers it’s actually 11,543.
Ok that makes more sense!
The chart is a little generic because it gives the weight “based on trucks with the most common options (over 33% of the trucks have the options)” according to the disclaimer.
So your numbers are correct, because: GVWR is 7100. Payload is 1643. Meaning curb weight is 5,457. Subtract curb weight from 17,000 GCVWR and you get 11,543 which is exactly what you said.
I still personally kinda disagree that wheels/tires subtract from your available payload though - and even when I googled it I saw plenty of arguments on the forums lol so I don’t want to argue. I get it, payload = gvwr - curb weight, so if I add weight to the tires, it makes the curb weight higher. I just feel like they are adding weight & drag, but not pressing down on the suspension or the axles more like actual payload would. So if I added 250lbs in wheels and tires, it makes more sense to me to just pretend I’m towing a trailer that’s 250lbs heavier, versus saying that the full 250lbs is taking away from my available payload. If you guys disagree that’s fine lol I’m content with agreeing to disagree.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok that makes more sense!
The chart is a little generic because it gives the weight “based on trucks with the most common options (over 33% of the trucks have the options)” according to the disclaimer.
So your numbers are correct, because: GVWR is 7100. Payload is 1643. Meaning curb weight is 5,457. Subtract curb weight from 17,000 GCVWR and you get 11,543 which is exactly what you said.
I still personally kinda disagree that wheels/tires subtract from your available payload though - and even when I googled it I saw plenty of arguments on the forums lol so I don’t want to argue. I get it, payload = gvwr - curb weight, so if I add weight to the tires, it makes the curb weight higher. I just feel like they are adding weight & drag, but not pressing down on the suspension or the axles more like actual payload would. So if I added 250lbs in wheels and tires, it makes more sense to me to just pretend I’m towing a trailer that’s 250lbs heavier, versus saying that the full 250lbs is taking away from my available payload. If you guys disagree that’s fine lol I’m content with agreeing to disagree.
Oh I see what you’re saying, regarding suspension and control for the unsprung weight. Most of us on here try to push “by the numbers” calculations which would put that hypothetical 250 in the curb weight section and thus reducing payload, it’s also why I suggested getting the truck weighed, so if something were to happen while towing say an accident and your truck was weighed for some reason, you’d be legal. Real world though, the truck won’t really care if it’s 250 pounds over, so long as you drive safe!

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
1,643 is your actual payload not 1,750 lbs. Disregard the chart #’s. Still a solid number

Yes, but you said that you were going to base your towing number off of 3.21 to compensate for the 37’s

So 13,900 lbs GCWR would be the number to focus on, not the 8k lbs tow capacity

@Nsleone laid the math out above

Gross weight ratings don’t distinguish unsprung weight. It’s all the same on a scale
Correct. For some reason I always thought my actual door sticker said 1750, but when I checked it right now I realized I was wrong and it’s 1643 - my mistake. And ohhh okay, I thought that you thought I had 3.21s and then were trying to reduce my numbers even beyond that haha. I’m like no, the 3.21 numbers you said are already reduced based on my truck! So I misunderstood you. Being that the 37s drop me technically to a 3.38 ratio, doing the math it gets you close to 14,630 gcwr. Subtract 5800, since last time I got it weighed it was right around there, and that still gives me 8,830lbs of max towing. So idk I really feel like capping it out at 7500 is reasonable for the truck. But if possible I’ll stay below that.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Oh I see what you’re saying, regarding suspension and control for the unsprung weight. Most of us on here try to push “by the numbers” calculations which would put that hypothetical 250 in the curb weight section and thus reducing payload, it’s also why I suggested getting the truck weighed, so if something were to happen while towing say an accident and your truck was weighed for some reason, you’d be legal. Real world though, the truck won’t really care if it’s 250 pounds over, so long as you drive safe!
You’re right, in a legal sense that 250lbs could be detrimental if I was towing near the limits! But like I said, I’m going to be keeping the truck wellll below it’s legal limits. I’m not trying to push the numbers or squeeze the most out of it, just trying to get an idea for what’s a comfortable max weight I should have in mind since I modded my truck pretty heavily haha. I didn’t intend for this thread to turn into such a math lesson lol I just wanted to see if anyone had towed with 37s and how it went

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As mentioned...the tires will take away from payload...as it is scale weighed...and also how a trooper would weigh you.

The big issue is gonna be with those larger tires and I am assuming the truck is leveled...getting weight to the front.

You are going to want every pound you can get on that front axle. Steering and braking are already compromised...

7500 is probably a fair weight...but you have to understand a 7500lbs camper is much different than a 7500lb flat bed towing a car...if you get what i am saying.

Good luck. The motor has plenty of power. That will not be the issue...sway, braking and steering will be.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not sure where you’re getting those numbers from.
He took the numbers you gave and did the math.

GCWR minus base weight is max towing

GCWR minus max towing is base weight

GVWR minus base weight is payload.

But as you said. You did not want to do the math lesson.

37s are already affecting braking. A leveled truck will affect weight placement to the front axle.

A travel trailer is not what the max towing number is designated for.

There is a formula for figuring how the frontal area affect the towing number...but enough math lol.

And the wonderful thing about camper towing...it pulls like there is nothing back there...lol

Good luck. Camping is a great hobby

Edit: somehow missed the post this was explained...love math...ha

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
As mentioned...the tires will take away from payload...as it is scale weighed...and also how a trooper would weigh you.

The big issue is gonna be with those larger tires and I am assuming the truck is leveled...getting weight to the front.

You are going to want every pound you can get on that front axle. Steering and braking are already compromised...

7500 is probably a fair weight...but you have to understand a 7500lbs camper is much different than a 7500lb flat bed towing a car...if you get what i am saying.

Good luck. The motor has plenty of power. That will not be the issue...sway, braking and steering will be.
Correct, DOT would weigh the truck as is. I feel like the engine, gearing, payload would all be perfectly fine at 7500lbs. Sway would be fine with the hellwig swaybar & endlinks helping out. I think even braking would be fine (as long as there’s enough weight on the front) because I’m stopping a 7500lb trailer with brakes that supposedly can stop the truck (stock) with a 11,500 trailer. So really my only concern would be steering (which also is keeping that weight on the front end). The truck already squats a little, so I know for sure I’d need some airbags. But if I got airbags then I really can’t see any issue towing 7500lbs on paper at least.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Correct, DOT would weigh the truck as is. I feel like the engine, gearing, payload would all be perfectly fine at 7500lbs. Sway would be fine with the hellwig swaybar & endlinks helping out. I think even braking would be fine (as long as there’s enough weight on the front) because I’m stopping a 7500lb trailer with brakes that supposedly can stop the truck (stock) with a 11,500 trailer. So really my only concern would be steering (which also is keeping that weight on the front end). The truck already squats a little, so I know for sure I’d need some airbags. But if I got airbags then I really can’t see any issue towing 7500lbs on paper at least.
I agree with 7500 on paper. But when you take that 11500 and subtract the 15% tongue weight and the mods and the gear you do not know you will be taking yet...it adds up(or disappears) fast.

We have a 6300 lb trailer. When loaded to camp...i have 2400lbs on the truck. Screenshot_20200526-084249~2.png Why I have a 2500...just for example of how quick the 7500lb trailer becomes too big. I do agree with 7500lb GVWR camper...but are you going to like towing that heavy when it is bad weather or the like.

Just offering opinions...my truck has only ever had 35s on it...right now only 33s lol

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I agree with 7500 on paper. But when you take that 11500 and subtract the 15% tongue weight and the mods and the gear you do not know you will be taking yet...it adds up(or disappears) fast.

We have a 6300 lb trailer. When loaded to camp...i have 2400lbs on the truck. View attachment 127031 Why I have a 2500...just for example of how quick the 7500lb trailer becomes too big. I do agree with 7500lb GVWR camper...but are you going to like towing that heavy when it is bad weather or the like.

Just offering opinions...my truck has only ever had 35s on it...right now only 33s lol
Yeah I see what you mean. I’m really not sure because I haven’t towed a travel trailer before lol. Most likely I’ll go with one that’s well under 7500lbs because they’re making them super light nowadays. But I just wanted to have a reference in mind as to what my max should be. There’s plenty of trailers I like that are gross around 6000lbs so it won’t be a problem at all.

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It rides like I never lifted it lol so I can’t complain. The CV angles look great compared to other lifts I’ve seen too.
I’m just waiting on the knuckles from Bds. Lift kit wheels and tires are waiting for me at the shop. I can’t wait. It’s been 4 weeks since ordered. They said 4-6 weeks. I’m psyched I went with the Bds. Hood veryone says the same thing. Truck rides just as good as factory

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Should be super sweet with lift

Attachments

• A15EA5F8-5ED7-4126-9D0C-9F1B2FEE54DA.jpeg
    A15EA5F8-5ED7-4126-9D0C-9F1B2FEE54DA.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 16

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Just remembered I got rid of my stock muffler and resonators and removed the spare tire & heat shield so boom there’s another probably 75lbs in payload I gained😂

Users who are viewing this thread