5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing the new camper

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I looked into the factory trailer cam stuff when I got mine, and it is quite pricey. I probably have the part numbers in my notes somewhere if you want them (LMK). But I'm gravitating toward a BlackVue DR750X-Truck-2CH or similar dashcam, which doesn't have its own display but can connect to my smartphone by WiFi.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I looked into the factory trailer cam stuff when I got mine, and it is quite pricey. I probably have the part numbers in my notes somewhere if you want them (LMK). But I'm gravitating toward a BlackVue DR750X-Truck-2CH or similar dashcam, which doesn't have its own display but can connect to my smartphone by WiFi.
Yeah, would definitely be interested in those part numbers. I really like the way the rear cam works when I'm driving, where I can pull it up and check on the connection and whatever cargo I have on the tongue rack. Would like to be able to do the same thing with a rear trailer camera.

Would definitely go the app route if I could use it through Android Auto, but I don't know ant that would work like that.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Loaded the truck up with everything I could think of that we might want to bring on an extended trip to see where I'd be. Also filled the freshwater and holding tanks, and intentionally loaded what I could forward of the trailer axle, to see where I am worst case.

View attachment 124377

View attachment 124378

Ordered a Fastway E2 and don't think I'm going to carry my Pelican case full of tools on the tongue rack. Also would generally be running with empty tanks.
Wow, you weren’t kidding! That little trailer is really nose heavy! 22% tongue weight🤯

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, you weren’t kidding! That little trailer is really nose heavy! 22% tongue weight🤯
Lol, I wasn't.

To be fair, this is worst case. I intentionally loaded it like this, and the holding tank was full of water and is forward of the trailer axle. I typically won't travel like that, but wanted to see what I could be looking at. Hoping to keep it around 15%, but might be tough when we full time it.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol, I wasn't.

To be fair, this is worst case. I intentionally loaded it like this, and the holding tank was full of water and is forward of the trailer axle. I typically won't travel like that, but wanted to see what I could be looking at. Hoping to keep it around 15%, but might be tough when we full time it.
Good to know though, worst case you’re still within ( or should I say right at ) gvwr.
That’s without WDH right?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, would definitely be interested in those part numbers. I really like the way the rear cam works when I'm driving, where I can pull it up and check on the connection and whatever cargo I have on the tongue rack. Would like to be able to do the same thing with a rear trailer camera.

So what I came up with was the wiring prep kit 82216274AC, which ramtrucks says is for VP2 or VP4 radios, but also says will not fit my vehicle. I've found the site is wrong about a lot of things, so I take it with a grain of salt. Installation instructions is here:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/rp-part-images/assets/f8e6cb0cde0215b57114112dbb4ee41c.PDF

And the trailer camera looks to be part# 82216068AD, which you can use one or two of.

Check those part numbers out with the dealer, and maybe double-check with the Ram tech people, because my dealer didn't seem to understand it. And prepare your wallet for a $2K bite plus labor.

Which is why I'm leaning toward alternatives.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good to know though, worst case you’re still within ( or should I say right at ) gvwr.
That’s without WDH right?
Yep, no WDH yet. Should have that installed next week. Probably going to put my tools in the basement and put something lighter on the rack.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So what I came up with was the wiring prep kit 82216274AC, which ramtrucks says is for VP2 or VP4 radios, but also says will not fit my vehicle. I've found the site is wrong about a lot of things, so I take it with a grain of salt. Installation instructions is here:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/rp-part-images/assets/f8e6cb0cde0215b57114112dbb4ee41c.PDF

And the trailer camera looks to be part# 82216068AD, which you can use one or two of.

Check those part numbers out with the dealer, and maybe double-check with the Ram tech people, because my dealer didn't seem to understand it. And prepare your wallet for a $2K bite plus labor.

Which is why I'm leaning toward alternatives.
Cool. I'll take a look. This is probably going to be down my list, so I'll keep an eye out for what you come up with.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Towed another 1400 miles the last week plus. Averaged 10.2 MPG. WDH should be in Wednesday, then I'll be making another stop at the scales after install to check for adjustments.

Did have the 'Service Auto Start/Stop' message come on with a CEL. Turned the truck off, and the warning message was gone, but CEL light stayed on. Let it sit about 15 minutes, and both lights were off. Drove for another 300 miles without issue. Will have that checked out when I take it in for service soon.

20220326_204309.jpg

20220327_151011.jpg

20220401_194733~2.jpg

20220401_161423.jpg

20220402_175243.jpg

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Smaller site last week, but we were right across the Ohio River from downtown Louisville. We were able to visit the Louisville Slugger factory and museum, a few shops/food spots downtown, and our RV dealer for a few minor fixes.

Also got the WDH installed. Haven't had a chance to get it on the scales since, but as expected, it tows noticeably better.

20220403_200606.jpg

I also know what I want to be when I grow up. :LOL:

20220404_124628.jpg

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Got some weights with the WDH installed today. Same as last time, intentionally loaded heavy with full tanks.

I have some adjustments to make and will need to figure out what I don't actually need to take with me or decide that I'll never travel with full tanks.

Truck only, WDH installed:
weigh_wdh_truckonly(10apr22).jpg

Truck and trailer, WDH bars disengaged:
weigh_wdh_nobars(10apr22).jpg

Truck and trailer, WDH bars engaged:
weigh_wdh_bars(10apr22).jpg

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome @SnowBlaZR2! We are taking our first trip this season Friday. New set up. Will report back
Awesome. Hope y'all have some good weather. Been a lot of rain and even a little bit of hail on this trip. Still having a blast, though, and better than being in the house.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome. Hope y'all have some good weather. Been a lot of rain and even a little bit of hail on this trip. Still having a blast, though, and better than being in the house.
We had beautiful sunshine, then rain, then sleet, then snow...then it would melt and start all over.

Thanks for sharing your trip. Love seeing RAM trucks taking their people camping.

20220408_172534_HDR.jpg 20220409_095717.jpg 20220409_141054.jpg 20220410_110212.jpg

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score

swoter

Reaction score
I have some adjustments to make and will need to figure out what I don't actually need to take with me or decide that I'll never travel with full tanks.

I think those numbers actually look pretty good. With your wdh on, only 160 lbs off your steer axle. As long as you’re not over payload should work just fine.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think those numbers actually look pretty good. With your wdh on, only 160 lbs off your steer axle. As long as you’re not over payload should work just fine.
Sorry, by adjustments, I meant adjustments to cargo. I'm still a little heavier and a little higher on tongue weight than I'd like.

I think the WDH is where I'll want it once I've adjusted my cargo.

swoter

Reaction score
I’m assuming you have a single axle trailer? Those things are always tongue heavy. My Epro 19, which weighs about 4000 fully loaded has a tongue weight of about 700 lbs, depending on how much water I have in the tank. It’s right up front.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m assuming you have a single axle trailer? Those things are always tongue heavy. My Epro 19, which weighs about 4000 fully loaded has a tongue weight of about 700 lbs, depending on how much water I have in the tank. It’s right up front.
Yep, single axle. The camper design puts more weight over the tongue than a lot of others as well.

Users who are viewing this thread