5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing Forest River Surveyor 240BHXL with Rebel

Blubyrdstudios

Reaction score
I've been back and forth for the last 2 weeks trying to figure out if it would be safe to pull a Forest River Surveyor with my 2019 Rebel. I figured I would post on here and get some feedback since I plan on purchasing by the end of the week.

My Rebels max payload is 1554lbs. The tongue weight of the Surveyor is 517lbs. Then when I throw in my hitch at 65lbs, family of 5 at 645lbs, and 100lbs for gear I am 227 lbs below my max payload. The dry weight of the camper is 5132lbs which will remain that way other that 2 tanks of propane at 40lbs. We normally buy groceries and fill tanks at which ever KOA we land at. Saves time on packing and its less of a hassle. I think I'm safe but just wanted to get some feedback.

I've been towing a huge 4000lb Fleetwood Niagara with no WDH or Sway control with no issues on trips up to 1200 miles. Normally when I do this my truck is also loaded down with bikes, kayaks, a RTT, spare tire, shovel, ax, recovery tracks. Etc. Never had any issues. Just not sure about pulling the Surveyor.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.
I know there are a few posts on here regarding this but after reaching out to Mopar, dealer, Google, rv dealer, and literally reading hundreds of posts, I think I've doubted my own math.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’d bet that 517 lbs listed tongue weight is a bit low. Even so, it’s a ~7500 lbs GVWR TT which is right where you want to be to stay at Ram’s 7,100 lb GVWR.

I think you’ll be ok weight wise. It’ll be the rest of your TV setup (WDH, tires) that determines how it tows.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You only have 100 pounds for gear, but you list all that other stuff when you're traveling? Luggage for a family of 5 is going to easily be 150+ pounds. Easiest way to tell if you're going to be good is load up and take it to a scale.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You only have 100 pounds for gear, but you list all that other stuff when you're traveling? Luggage for a family of 5 is going to easily be 150+ pounds. Easiest way to tell if you're going to be good is load up and take it to a scale.
I’d bet that 517 lbs listed tongue weight is a bit low. Even so, it’s a ~7500 lbs GVWR TT which is right where you want to be to stay at Ram’s 7,100 lb GVWR.

I think you’ll be ok weight wise. It’ll be the rest of your TV setup (WDH, tires) that determines how it tows.
I was thinking the same things. But we have so much information here to explain all of this.

Good times

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
I’d tow that setup all day. No issues at all, just don’t load a ton of crap into the truck/bed and you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toyboy1980

Reaction score
Currently towing a Jayco Jayflight SLX8 267BHS with my 2020 Rebel. It’s doing great. The best way, and really only true way to set up your WDH properly is to load everything up and hit a CAT scale. It’s a pretty crucial step to really getting weight properly distributed back to the steer axle on your truck.

Users who are viewing this thread