5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing - Best gear ratio

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's funny how everyone can have 180 degree difference on stuff. I would have loved to have the ram boxes, but not many BH with them. Also I've heard the 3.92 are way harder on the engine than the 3.21 because the engine is revving way higher the whole time, this making it work harder.
No. Start off on a 10 speed bicycle in 1st gear or 10th gear.

KMach

Reaction score
I personally would never own a half ton truck or smaller without atleast 3.92 gears. My Dakota has 3.92s and so does my new Ram. 2500 and up gas or diesel 3.73 is the perfect gear for me. My other ram (cummins) is a 3.73 truck with a nv5600. To each their own.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3.92 owner here, my first questions would be what part of I-95 do you commute on, and where will you be towing the future travel trailer? If youre down south like me and the roads are pretty flat, the 3.21 gears wont struggle as much when towing so you might be okay with those, and pick up a few MPG's. But if youre in the north or plan to tow up any mountains id say go for the 3.92 gears, the fuel economy gains from 3.21's diminish in the north.

It's not so much about the 3.92's being able to tow more, you'll run out of payload way before towing even with 3.21 gears on a lmited trim truck as others have said, its about the fact that the 3.92 gears tow easier, I tow cars more than anything so not an apples to apples comparison but I never have any issue with power and even towing 8900 pounds the truck didnt strain with high rpm's, itll even go into the overdrive gears at highway speeds, the 3.21 guys with campers seem to complain of really high rpm's when towing so the journey to your campsite might not be as enjoyable. Speaking of RPM's I turn about 2000 rpm at 70 and my best highway mpg was 19.8, I average 17.5 though because I like the sound it makes when i put my foot to the floor. :ROFLMAO:

Just some quick math here regarding fuel savings, my truck gets 17.5 and ive got 40,000 miles on it. Over those miles the avg price per gallon was $3, so thats ~$6850. With 3.21 gears you realisticly get about 1-1.5mpg better, that would cost ~$6300, so about $550 over 40,000 miles. Wether thats a lot of savings or a little is up to you, but if it were me i'd go for 3.92's

RRSBighorn

Reaction score
As you can see, many different opinions on the 3.21 to 3.92 question. Here's my take, I have a 7k GVWR, 27' TT that I pull with the 3.21. I didn't order my truck but highly considered the 2 options when looking at dealer lots.
I think the biggest factor is how often do you actually pull your trailer. I only use mine 3, maybe 4 weeks out of the year, but the truck is my main transportation the rest of the year. I just pulled my trailer to Yellowstone last August about 3k miles. I had no issues with pulling the trailer in the mountains from a power or gearing standpoint. The problem of limited gas stations in the west may be a kind of headache, so the larger 33gal gas tank may be worthwhile, but also taking away from the towing capacity for the added weight.
I am happy with my decision especially with the gas price going crazy. As said in one of the posts, my truck gets 20-22 mpg on all highway in the summer, and about 17-18 mpg mixed local/highway. Winter gas cuts down on mileage, and I also found on my Yellowstone trip with the trailer, non-ethanol, high octane fuel got me an extra 1-2 mph with the trailer. If you were pulling the trailer a lot more often, especially in the mountains, maybe the 3.92 would be the better option, but that's something you have to decide.

Last edited:

SirHobgoblin

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advice and enjoyable debate. I really appreciate everyone input and thoughts.

I ended up going with the 3.92. I could see the rationale for either side, but ultimately the potential additional cost of fuel with the 3.92 was an academic concern more than a fiscal one. The increase power and livability of the 3.92 when it comes to towing, northern driving, and mountain driving swayed me.

Now we get to play the waiting game. First trip/tow, potentially, will be driving from Northern VA to Northern Maine.

NRitland2

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advice and enjoyable debate. I really appreciate everyone input and thoughts.

I ended up going with the 3.92. I could see the rationale for either side, but ultimately the potential additional cost of fuel with the 3.92 was an academic concern more than a fiscal one. The increase power and livability of the 3.92 when it comes to towing, northern driving, and mountain driving swayed me.

Now we get to play the waiting game. First trip/tow, potentially, will be driving from Northern VA to Northern Maine.
Where in Maine? Acadia NP I hope?

SirHobgoblin

Reaction score
Where in Maine? Acadia NP I hope?

Indeed, that will be the end destination and highlight of the trip! We plan to visit Portland, and Bailey Island, and a few other spots along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NRitland2

Reaction score
Indeed, that will be the end destination and highlight of the trip! We plan to visit Portland, and Bailey Island, and a few other spots along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We go yearly. Make sure to spend time in Bar Harbor

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's funny how everyone can have 180 degree difference on stuff. I would have loved to have the ram boxes, but not many BH with them. Also I've heard the 3.92 are way harder on the engine than the 3.21 because the engine is revving way higher the whole time, this making it work harder.
My old K34 had 4.10 gears on a 350 with no overdrive, and rust got to it long before the engine showed any weakness. You probably do more damage every time you cold start it. I'd have liked to have rambox, but not available on the longer bed for whatever reason.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My old K34 had 4.10 gears on a 350 with no overdrive, and rust got to it long before the engine showed any weakness. You probably do more damage every time you cold start it. I'd have liked to have rambox, but not available on the longer bed for whatever reason.
It might be bad form to follow my own post, but here's another point for consideration. I'd be more worried about wear on the transmission than the engine. The higher axle ratio translates to about an 18% reduction in torque required to do the same job, so less strain on the transmission and universal joints. And if it happens even a few times that you can stay in 6th gear, which is direct drive, rather than downshift to 5 or 4 for a steep climb, you are even further ahead on saving wear to the planetary transmission gears.

teamroper60

Reaction score
It might be bad form to follow my own post, but here's another point for consideration. I'd be more worried about wear on the transmission than the engine. The higher axle ratio translates to about an 18% reduction in torque required to do the same job, so less strain on the transmission and universal joints. And if it happens even a few times that you can stay in 6th gear, which is direct drive, rather than downshift to 5 or 4 for a steep climb, you are even further ahead on saving wear to the planetary transmission gears.
If that were actually true, then the Ram 2500, rated to tow 20k wouldnt come with a 3.73...

teamroper60

Reaction score
There is no 6.4L Ram 2500 rated to tow 20k lbs; 3.73 or 4.10
No, but the diesel is and it comes with 3.73s. The Ford F350 dually also comes with 3.73s and the F250 SRW comes with 3.31s. Using the above logic about transmission wear concerns, none of those would have 3.73s or 3.31s, considering the additional weight they can tow.

Bottom line is, if you are towing within the manufacturers specs, trans wear should not be a concern. If you towing more than the truck is spec'd for, then you need a bigger truck.

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
3.92 gears if you are towing heavy and often. 3.21s still tow fine, but you would be happier with 3.92s

teamroper60

Reaction score
2500 has even higher ratios than the 1500. 3.73 is standard and 4.10 optional.
True, however, it is rated to tow 20k with the 3.73. Your assertion that one needs 3.92s in a 1500 to tow with it and avoid excessive trans wear doesnt hold water when a truck rated to tow a lot more than any 1500 can uses 3.73s.

As I said before, if you are towing within manufacturer specs, excessive trans wear should not be a concern, regardless of rear ratio.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
True, however, it is rated to tow 20k with the 3.73. Your assertion that one needs 3.92s in a 1500 to tow with it and avoid excessive trans wear doesnt hold water when a truck rated to tow a lot more than any 1500 can uses 3.73s.

As I said before, if you are towing within manufacturer specs, excessive trans wear should not be a concern, regardless of rear ratio.
More goes into gearing options than towing capacity. It's entirely likely that Ram sacrificed transmission wear to gain somewhere else when they were engineering the 2500.

teamroper60

Reaction score
More goes into gearing options than towing capacity. It's entirely likely that Ram sacrificed transmission wear to gain somewhere else when they were engineering the 2500.
Doubtful, since they have to warranty it all.

This whole debate really hinges on what the individual owner's needs/wants are. If you often tow heavy and in hilly/mountainous terrain, the 3.92 is going to allow you to more easily pull that load up a grade at the or near the same speeds you are pulling on flat ground. If you rarely tow, tow lighter weights or tow on flat ground, 3.21s will do just fine and give you better mileage empty. This chest thumping for one gear ratio or the other is nothing more than trying to get justification for your individual preference, based on your own needs/wants.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread