5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing - Best gear ratio

teamroper60

Reaction score
For 5 years, maybe less.
Well, considering that the taller, 3.21 will turn fewer revolutions over the course of that 5 years than the 3.92 and very few people tow ofyen enough for it to matter, it is a wash there.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, considering that the taller, 3.21 will turn fewer revolutions over the course of that 5 years than the 3.92 and very few people tow ofyen enough for it to matter, it is a wash there.
It's not a wash. The same person who tows very little with 3.21s will tow very little with 3.92s. When we have data that's the same, we focus on the data that isn't for making comparisons and drawing conclusions.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was pointing out the fallacy of saying a taller gear ratio equates to more wear.
No, you weren't.

You used a different truck, with different engines, different gearing options, and different transmissions.

You didn't really make any point.

teamroper60

Reaction score
It's not a wash. The same person who tows very little with 3.21s will tow very little with 3.92s. When we have data that's the same, we focus on the data that isn't for making comparisons and drawing conclusions.
Ah, but the assertion was, that 3.92 would wear less, but in reality, it is working more.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The concept still applies.
Sure, but not in the way you think. 4.10s put less wear on the transmission than 3.73s for the same reason 3.92s put less wear than 3.21s. All you really did was shift the point and try a bit of wonky reasoning to get around that.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
More revolutions per mile that are turned by the 3.21s. More revs is more work. It may not be a ton more but it is more.
I'm sorry but you give me the impression of someone who has no idea how modern automatic transmissions work.

teamroper60

Reaction score
I'm sorry but you give me the impression of someone who has no idea how modern automatic transmissions work.
Im sorry but you dont know me from Adam. Imnot going to get in an insult game with you. If you want to believe there is less wear involved in with a 3.92 than a 3.21, then by all means go ahead. It is no skin off me. I'll leave you all to your chest thumping.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Im sorry but you dont know me from Adam. Imnot going to get in an insult game with you. If you want to believe there is less wear involved in with a 3.92 than a 3.21, then by all means go ahead. It is no skin off me.
Nope, all I can go from is what you've posted. You might be the best engineer on the planet for all I know, but you haven't shown that so far.

And don't be so soft. It was an observation, not an insult.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
True, however, it is rated to tow 20k with the 3.73. Your assertion that one needs 3.92s in a 1500 to tow with it and avoid excessive trans wear doesnt hold water when a truck rated to tow a lot more than any 1500 can uses 3.73s.

As I said before, if you are towing within manufacturer specs, excessive trans wear should not be a concern, regardless of rear ratio.
Given opportunity, choose the best tool for the job...

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope, all I can go from is what you've posted. You might be the best engineer on the planet for all I know, but you haven't shown that so far.

Yeah I usually just ignore people who try to compare apples to oranges lol.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
In my case i very seldom tow, so I like having the extra mpg of the 3.21. However, I would probably make less mpg towing than a 3.92 gear. Also not putting on 35” tires so 3.21 is a good fit for me

teamroper60

Reaction score

You think I dont know how a modern transmission works.... Both a modern and older ones still uses clutches and gears. Modern trans use computer controlled solenoids instead of valve bodies, to more accurately control shifts. The computer analyzes throttle position, rpms, vehicle speed, current gear and the next gear (up or down), shift pressure and duration on each shift and makes adjustments as needed, to optimize the shift smoothness while minimizing clutch slippage.

The engine and transmission are the same, regardless of whether it is equipped with a 3.92 or a 3.21 rear ratio. A 3.92 equipped truck will require 3.92 revolutions of the driveshaft to accomplish one revolution of the rear tires. A 3.21 requires 3.21 driveshaft revolutions to achieve that same one tire revolution. So to cover the same piece of ground, the engine and transmission perform more work (more rpms=more work) in the form of rpms to cover the same ground. Except at idle, the 3.92 equipped truck will turn more rpms at each throttle position, in each gear and speed than its 3.21 counterpart. The 3.92 may "feel" as though it isnt working harder because of the higher rpms but in reality it is, because of the increased work to move the 3.92 truck at the same speed as the 3.21 truck. More work=more wear. Granted, not a lot more work/wearbut it is more.

It is true that while towing heavy up a grade, the 3.21 equipped truck may make a shift or 2 that the 3.92 truck doesnt and add some wear to the clutch packs, the average half ton doesnt not spend the majority of its life towing even a light load, so over the course of its life, the avearge half ton will experience its most wear and tear empty.

And with that, I am out of this discussion. You all can continue your chest thumping without my input.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You think I dont know how a modern transmission works....
That's exactly what I think. Congrats to you for doing a bit of research, but you wouldn't have posted the nonsense you posted if you actually knew what you were talking about.

Hint: the revolutions aren't the issue here.

But glad you decided to bow out. You probably should've done that in the first place.

teamroper60

Reaction score
No research needed, I already knew it. Just time to post it. Again you dont know me. Good day..

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No research needed, I already knew it. Just time to post it. Again you dont know me. Good day..
I don't claim to know you. But I can read what you posted and that tells us that you don't have a clue.

Revolutions...just lol at that.

Eventually you'll move on, I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread