5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing - Best gear ratio

SirHobgoblin

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I apologize for posting another 3.21 vs 3.92 gear ratio thread. I am new to towing, and although I have done my best to do the necessary research, I would sincerely appreciate your collective opinions. I plan to submit a build-to-order, in the coming days, for either a Ram 1500 Limited Longhorn or Limited trim. I am making a base assumption that these two trims will weigh the same, as I plan to spec them out the same. I plan to avoid a panoramic moon roof and go with a the V8 etorque engine. 4x4, air suspension (maybe), trailer-tow group, etc. I would appreciate your thoughts on which gear ratio, 3.21 vs 3.92, will best suite out needs, based on the below assumptions and scenario:

The primary use for this truck will be some commuting (90% highway via I-95, heavy traffic), lots a traveling (mountains included), and towing a travel trailer. We also plan to move to a more mountainous area in a few years.

-Assuming a payload of ~1400lbs, based on post here and vin-based tow rating for similarly built models.
-Estimating passenger/cargo load of 500lbs (myself, wife, 3 dogs, plus a little extra to account for random items)
-Estimating a max tongue weight of 900 lbs, based on the above weights.
-Assuming a tongue weight that is equal to 10-15% of the total trailer weight, the trailer GVWR max can range from 5400lbs - 9000lbs.

The 3.21 gear ratio would be good for all but high end (10% tongue, 9000lb GVWR) of the above towing/payload capacity range. Assuming that the trailer lands in the 6000-7200 lb range, which would be the better gear ratio? I am leaning towards the 3.92, but I would appreciate the extra fuel efficiency for normal commuting. I am assuming a 1-2 MPG difference, which isn't a deal breaker, but given that my payload limits total towing capacity, I don't want to opt out of the extra efficiency unncessarily.

TL:DR - is a 3.92 ratio necessary/worth the loss in MPG to tow a 6000-7200 lbs travel trailer (payload is the limiting factor).

I appreciate the help!

bucolic

Reaction score
I towed a 4600 lb camper trailer with 2 different 1/2 ton Rams now. The first had the Hemi and the 26-gallon tank and the 3.21 ratio. I traded that in for a Ram with the Hemi e-tourqe, 33-gallon tank, and 3.92 gears.

I towed the camper across the US and back in the summer of 2020 a total of 8000 miles in 28 days or so with the 3.21 gears and the 26-gallon tank. The 26-gallon tank was brutal. Only about 250 miles of range at 9-11 MPG so every 150 miles you had to start looking for a gas station. Some days I swear I was at the pump more than on the road. Out west where it was sparse I would find myself driving only 100 miles, seeing a station, and pulling in and filling up just to be safe. So first off get the 33-gallon tank hands down no questions asked.

Last year I traded to the theE-Tourque Hemi with the 33-gallon tank and 3.92 gears. 33-gallon tank was a blessing. Got you over 300 miles of range towing which was enough to remove the range anxiety.

Now for the gears from my experience. No difference in towing at highway speed between the 3.21 and 3.92 gears. Zip, nada, nothing. Noticed no difference. From take off the 3.92 might have felt a bit smoother but honestly not much. When not towing the gas mileage takes a good hit of about 3-4 mpg. Towing gas milage was identical between the two gears. Not towing with the 3.21 on long trips, I could hit 20-22 mpg most every time. With the 3.92's saw only 20MPG a couple of times. Most of the time it was 18-19 highway and about 15-16 around town. I much preferred the feel and extra MPG of the 3.21 gears.

If you were towing something like a car on a trailer I think you may notice a difference between the gears. That wind drag from the camper is tough for the 1/2 ton to overcome. Up to about 40 MPH, I forget it's back there. A small headwind and a bit of an incline and you screaming along in 4th or 5th just trying to keep it at 60 MPH. Not fun. Gearing makes no difference here. These 1/2 tons just don't tow things with wind resistance comfortably.

If you're going to be towing 7000 lbs of camper any distance regularly with the 1/2 ton you are going to be tired at the end of the day and have your hands full. If you're just doing it occasionally you'll probably be fine. Definitely need a sway control hitch and get a good one like the Equalizer brand. I towed my light camper without one, one time and immediately bought an equalizer hitch with sway control. A little wind it was all over the road. Once the equalizer sway control hitch was installed it was smooth and steady with no issues.

I just traded and got the Ecodiesel this time with 33-gallon tank and 3.21 gears. Won't be towing for a couple more months but am not expecting too much of a different experience over the hemi. I'll let you know! Hoping it doesn't scream as much but for that effortless towing I think you need the 3/4 ton with the Cummings engine. I just don't want that larger truck as it won't fit in my garage height wise and I really enjoy the ride of these 1/2 ton Rams.

Good luck but again, with 7000 lbs of trailer behind a 1/2 ton you'll be working. I would just go with the 3.21 gears for the extra mileage and comfort when not towing as I didn't see any difference at speed. Just get that 33-gallon tank or you will be really kicking yourself.

Here is a shot at the bottom of Tioga Pass in Ca. Surprisingly going down grades was relatively smooth going with very little brake usage. You'll have a few thousand lbs more than I did so your experience might be different.

tioga-pass.jpg

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
lots a traveling (mountains included), and towing a travel trailer.
To me, this answers the question for you. I wouldn't even consider the 3.21s. 3.92s with the Hemi eTorque has been great for towing.

As for saving anything in fuel, I have yet to see anyone show me that their 3.21s are doing better than I am, so I don't put much of anything into that. Your right foot has more to do with fuel economy than which gears you option up.

Rebel2022

Reaction score
You will want 3.92’s no question. The hemi will be working but its not a diesel and is made to rev! you’ll spend lots of time in 6th gear, 7th with favorable wind but it will tow just fine. Mpg between the 2 sets is negligible, the way you drive, speed, acceleration, climate etc has way, more influence. I’ve owned at lot of pickups in my life, the ones that I got with higher gears (lower numerically) I have always regretted. Never again, I always go with the lowest (highest numerically) available now.

BigD

Reaction score
I towed a 4600 lb camper trailer with 2 different 1/2 ton Rams now. The first had the Hemi and the 26-gallon tank and the 3.21 ratio. I traded that in for a Ram with the Hemi e-tourqe, 33-gallon tank, and 3.92 gears.

I towed the camper across the US and back in the summer of 2020 a total of 8000 miles in 28 days or so with the 3.21 gears and the 26-gallon tank. The 26-gallon tank was brutal. Only about 250 miles of range at 9-11 MPG so every 150 miles you had to start looking for a gas station. Some days I swear I was at the pump more than on the road. Out west where it was sparse I would find myself driving only 100 miles, seeing a station, and pulling in and filling up just to be safe. So first off get the 33-gallon tank hands down no questions asked.

Last year I traded to the theE-Tourque Hemi with the 33-gallon tank and 3.92 gears. 33-gallon tank was a blessing. Got you over 300 miles of range towing which was enough to remove the range anxiety.

Now for the gears from my experience. No difference in towing at highway speed between the 3.21 and 3.92 gears. Zip, nada, nothing. Noticed no difference. From take off the 3.92 might have felt a bit smoother but honestly not much. When not towing the gas mileage takes a good hit of about 3-4 mpg. Towing gas milage was identical between the two gears. Not towing with the 3.21 on long trips, I could hit 20-22 mpg most every time. With the 3.92's saw only 20MPG a couple of times. Most of the time it was 18-19 highway and about 15-16 around town. I much preferred the feel and extra MPG of the 3.21 gears.

If you were towing something like a car on a trailer I think you may notice a difference between the gears. That wind drag from the camper is tough for the 1/2 ton to overcome. Up to about 40 MPH, I forget it's back there. A small headwind and a bit of an incline and you screaming along in 4th or 5th just trying to keep it at 60 MPH. Not fun. Gearing makes no difference here. These 1/2 tons just don't tow things with wind resistance comfortably.

If you're going to be towing 7000 lbs of camper any distance regularly with the 1/2 ton you are going to be tired at the end of the day and have your hands full. If you're just doing it occasionally you'll probably be fine. Definitely need a sway control hitch and get a good one like the Equalizer brand. I towed my light camper without one, one time and immediately bought an equalizer hitch with sway control. A little wind it was all over the road. Once the equalizer sway control hitch was installed it was smooth and steady with no issues.

I just traded and got the Ecodiesel this time with 33-gallon tank and 3.21 gears. Won't be towing for a couple more months but am not expecting too much of a different experience over the hemi. I'll let you know! Hoping it doesn't scream as much but for that effortless towing I think you need the 3/4 ton with the Cummings engine. I just don't want that larger truck as it won't fit in my garage height wise and I really enjoy the ride of these 1/2 ton Rams.

Good luck but again, with 7000 lbs of trailer behind a 1/2 ton you'll be working. I would just go with the 3.21 gears for the extra mileage and comfort when not towing as I didn't see any difference at speed. Just get that 33-gallon tank or you will be really kicking yourself.

Here is a shot at the bottom of Tioga Pass in Ca. Surprisingly going down grades was relatively smooth going with very little brake usage. You'll have a few thousand lbs more than I did so your experience might be different.

View attachment 122994
Agree 💯 I kind of wish I had the 3.21 gears. I get exactly what this guy stated. 18.5 - 19 mph highway & 15- 16 city. When I tow anything (even a 2,000 lb fishing boat) I get 10 mpg. I basically got the 3.92 gears to take off fast off the line & leave the chevy's in the dust !! Plus I previously had the 3.21 & wanted to see the difference. 33 gallon tank sure would be nice as well & Ram boxes if I was to do it again.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I plan to avoid a panoramic moon roof and go with a the V8 etorque engine. 4x4, air suspension (maybe), trailer-tow group, etc. I would appreciate your thoughts on which gear ratio, 3.21 vs 3.92, will best suite out needs, based on the below assumptions and scenario:
I’d get the pano roof and skip eTorque. The payload hit will almost offset

You’re planning on towing from the get go, so check the $95 box for 3.92 axle

Assuming a payload of ~1400lbs, based on post here and vin-based tow rating for similarly built models.
-Estimating passenger/cargo load of 500lbs (myself, wife, 3 dogs, plus a little extra to account for random items)
-Estimating a max tongue weight of 900 lbs, based on the above weights.
-Assuming a tongue weight that is equal to 10-15% of the total trailer weight, the trailer GVWR max can range from 5400lbs - 9000lbs.
You’re forgetting the 100 lbs for a WDH. (+200 lbs I’d you go ProPride). So that brings you down to 700-800 lbs.

don’t count on 10% tongue weight with a trailer trailer. It’s realistic to plan 12-13% and remember that is loaded. So you’d need to find one that is listed at 500-600 lbs dry weight

SirHobgoblin

Reaction score
Good point, thank you for that ^.
I appreciate everyones help and opinion here.

I anticipate spending more time on the highway than not, and I tend to drive at the 75-80 mph mark. I am still waffling, but leaning towards the 3.21. Ultimately, my payload will limit me before the 3.21 gear ratio does. The extra 1-4 (opinions vary) MPG is more of a sticking point in my mind than my budget. I am buying this truck, as opposed to an SUV, so that I will have the ability tow a travel trailer (rent for now, purchase one in a few years). This truck will first and foremost be a luxury commuter and traveler for my wife and dogs, that will eventually see its fair share of towing. Simply, it seems that if I were to be towing a travel trailer that weights 9000 lbs (payload limits aside), the length and weight would necessitate a RAM 2500.

It seems that a travel trailers that falls within payload and safety specs will fall within the 3.21 towing limits. My biggest concern is buying the 3.21 and finding it a miserable experience when it comes to towing the travel trailers.

Thanks again, I really do appreciate the advice.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I anticipate spending more time on the highway than not, and I tend to drive at the 75-80 mph mark. I am still waffling, but leaning towards the 3.21. Ultimately, my payload will limit me before the 3.21 gear ratio does. The extra 1-4 (opinions vary) MPG is more of a sticking point in my mind than my budget. I am buying this truck, as opposed to an SUV, so that I will have the ability tow a travel trailer (rent for now, purchase one in a few years). This truck will first and foremost be a luxury commuter and traveler for my wife and dogs, that will eventually see its fair share of towing. Simply, it seems that if I were to be towing a travel trailer that weights 9000 lbs (payload limits aside), the length and weight would necessitate a RAM 2500.

It seems that a travel trailers that falls within payload and safety specs will fall within the 3.21 towing limits. My biggest concern is buying the 3.21 and finding it a miserable experience when it comes to towing the travel trailers.

If you never tow with a truck with 3.92s, you'll probably not be disappointed. I'll likely never tow an 11k lb trailer, but that's not where the 3.92s show their value. Every time I accelerate with a trailer behind me, I'm glad I didn't settle to maybe get 1 mpg back sometimes. Maybe. Your transmission will also thank you if you're going to be towing as you said in your OP.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3.21 won’t be miserable. It just needs to work a little more to accelerate and stop.

Plenty complain about 3.21’s mpg too.

A properly setup WDH is key. Also, XL-or higher load range tires are beneficial

air suspension (maybe)
It’s standard on Limited but optional on Longhorn. Get the air suspension, 100% recommended for towing.

SirHobgoblin

Reaction score
Air suspension, larger fuel tank, etc are must haves for me. I’ll be avoidin the pano and ram box as to achieve a payload on a limited or limited longhorn of 1300-1400lbs.

I don’t care too much about which is fast 0-60, if that was my priority I would be ordering a f-150 Hybrid. Yet, it sounds like the sentiment leans heavy towards the 3.92. The MPG might be less, but capability and potentially longevity of the powertrain might offset that.

I guess another way to think of it is this - it would be a shame to spend 74k+ on a truck that is hamstrung by the gear ratio.

BigD

Reaction score
Air suspension, larger fuel tank, etc are must haves for me. I’ll be avoidin the pano and ram box as to achieve a payload on a limited or limited longhorn of 1300-1400lbs.

I don’t care too much about which is fast 0-60, if that was my priority I would be ordering a f-150 Hybrid. Yet, it sounds like the sentiment leans heavy towards the 3.92. The MPG might be less, but capability and potentially longevity of the powertrain might offset that.

I guess another way to think of it is this - it would be a shame to spend 74k+ on a truck that is hamstrung by the gear ratio.
It's funny how everyone can have 180 degree difference on stuff. I would have loved to have the ram boxes, but not many BH with them. Also I've heard the 3.92 are way harder on the engine than the 3.21 because the engine is revving way higher the whole time, this making it work harder.

bucolic

Reaction score

A 7000 lb trailer and the truck at or slightly exceeding payload is going to be a long day of towing with a half-ton. The 3.92 gears do get those tires spinning and I noticed that for sure. If you stomp on it it will break loose every time. I stand by my experience though with over 8,000 miles of towing in 28 days towing almost every day. My camper was light under 5000 lbs and if you don't mind the truck screaming in 4th gear with the slightest uphill or headwind you are good to go. I towed from NY to Colorado, then to Reno, down to Monteray, shot over to Yosemite, back up to Yellowstone, and finally headed home. I did it, felt safe the whole time, but a 600-mile day and I was worn out from headwinds and stopping for gas 5 times a day to make sure I didn't run out like I did on HGWY 50 in Utah. The 5 gallon can of gas for the generator saved me. On stretches of highway with no traffic I drove at 50 and it was pretty enjoyable. But trying to drive at 60-65 on I-80 with heavy traffic and it's a whole different world.

The 3.21 VS 3.92 ratio discussions on here are like discussing politics :). If I had a 7000 lb camper, not trailer, camper, with the big wind sail I think I would have to get the 3/4 ton. Again, absolutely no noticeable difference at speed towing a camper with the different gearing, a trailer may be different without wind resistance.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's funny how everyone can have 180 degree difference on stuff. I would have loved to have the ram boxes, but not many BH with them. Also I've heard the 3.92 are way harder on the engine than the 3.21 because the engine is revving way higher the whole time, this making it work harder.
Yes, way higher rpm's...it must be revving at least 400 rpm's higher at 80 mph. I'm surprised we don't see 3.92 trucks blowing up all the time with such excessive rpm's. 🤣

bucolic

Reaction score
There is no way that a truck with 3.21 gears is getting 3-4 mpg better mileage than a truck with 3.92's unless you're spending most of your time above 75-80 mph.
I think we sometimes leave important details out as I did here :). My first ram that was a Bighorn with Hemi and 3.21's could regularly get 21-22 mpg easily even at 65. My limited with etourque had the 3.92 gears and was easily off 3-4 mpg. I think other things come into play. Things limited had that the bighorn didn't. Air suspension, pano sunroof, 33-gallon tank, multifunction tailgate, power side steps, and some other things that add weight I am sure. That added weight probably accounts for a MPG decrease. The tires on my limited were also kind of weird. 20" like the bighorn but a different sizing and they looked a bit smaller and rode crappier. Had the RWL where the Bighorn was black sidewalls. All that probably makes more of a difference than the gearing.

Users who are viewing this thread