5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing 10,000 lbs with the with the 5.7 V8 - No E-Torque

bowsniper

Reaction score
Before I order a loaded 4x4 Laramie crew cab, 5.7 , 3.92 rear end, I'm looking for opinions on the towing performance. I'll be towing a 10,000 lb travel trailer through Colorado and Wyoming mountains (lot of steep mountain passes). Sure, it's rated to 11,120 lbs, and I'm not expecting "warp drive", but you guys that have a similar rig, what's your opinion on towing performance? Can it maintain a good HWY speed (70 mph)? I don't plan on getting the E-torque, it sounds like it has too many problems.

Great forum, thanks for all the useful information!

Mark

slimchance

Reaction score
IF the TT says it weights 10,000#s then the hitch weight will be around 1,000#s ... a fully "loaded 4x4 Laramie crew cab" will likely have a payload door sticker of around 1,200 #s ... so subtract the hitch weight of 1,000 #s from the payload of 1,200 #s and you can carry 200 #s total in your new Laramie before you are legally overweight .. this trk will have plenty of power to pull the 10,000 # trailer but it will be overloaded .. most experienced TT towers lower their expectations to speeds around 60 mph or so when towing near their load limits ... and a 10,000 # TT will be around 35' long (hitch to bumper) and that is very long for a half ton trk

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depending on your exact truck outfit and the tongue weight (real life tw) of the trailer, you may not have enough payload. I have a highly optioned laramie myself, and my payload is only 1451 lbs. With a ten thousand pound trailer, and whatever percent tongue weight there is, that's not a lot of room left, if any at all.

The type of trailer will also have a major effect on your towing performance and experience. Is it a Travel Trailer? Equipment trailer? Toy Hauler? Etc, etc. The Travel Trailers (read: campers) usually have a pretty balanced platform because they know they rely on being half ton towable so they need light tongue weights to get sales. The majority just advertise 10% tongue weight, and in reality I imagine it gets closer to 12-15%. However, most other types of trailers are really designed for 15-20% tongue weight because they assume you'll be towing with an HD or Medium class truck to do work. Lastly, the frontal area of your trailer (and its cargo) will definitely make a difference as you're moving along. A small headwind with a 5,000 Travel Trailer will make it feel like you're pulling a 10,000 equipment trailer.

Last edited:

GRB

Reaction score
10k is pushing it for a 1/2 ton. However, with the proper WD hitch and sway damper it can be done but I would keep the speed 60 or lower.

mjamesgt

Reaction score
Remember if you have a 10k trailer with a 1200 payload, the tongue weight (1k) and yourself (rounding to 200 lbs) means you cannot have any other passenger or gear in the truck. Sounds like it’s time for a 2500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@bowsniper you are getting great advice here, even though it may not be what you wanted to hear with all the excitement about the truck. With my 8000# trailer and 1000# tongue weight, I figured out I could have my Ram 1500 either luxurious OR rigged to tow my trailer+family... but not both.

My Laramie (with heavy Ramboxes) only had 1240# of payload available to me, so I had to switch to something different. My BigHorn gives me 1600# of payload with a full tank of gas, so with my relatively little family we are ok. Five average size people in there would put me over weight too. Guess I gotta watch what I eat...

In your case I would look at the Heavy Duty Beauties... a buddy of mine went up to a 2018 HD and has over 3000# payload, it is a gorgeous truck inside and out and he’s super happy. Truck feels the same inside, might ride a little different but so what it’ll pull.

Use whatever maximum numbers you think you’ll drive with... but for instance if we assume 1200# tongue, 5 x 200# for a full driver/passenger load, and 200# of bags in the bed then you should be looking for 2400# payload on the door sticker. Remember don’t go with the manufacturer claimed “maximum” tow capacity because it does not account for hundreds of pounds of heavy options... but the door sticker doesn’t lie (in fact mine was exactly in synch with the truck scales).

Hence, we recommend the HD for your case, then you can drive safe AND have it luxurious too! Good luck.

bowsniper

Reaction score
Great advice guys, I appreciate your responses. Looks like I need to scale down to 6-7000 lbs or go HD.

Thanks!

KLSU

Reaction score
Why not just wait on the 2019 2500 with 6.4 and 8 speed transmission? They are starting to hit the dealerships now and by looking at mpg for the guys with 1500's and 3.92 gears I would expect the 6.4 with 8 speed to be about the same! Also, the new 2500 will have the same interior as the 1500 the only negative (IMO) is the back seat is the same size as the 2018 2500 and not as big as the 1500 crew.

Reaction score
Why not just wait on the 2019 2500 with 6.4 and 8 speed transmission? They are starting to hit the dealerships now and by looking at mpg for the guys with 1500's and 3.92 gears I would expect the 6.4 with 8 speed to be about the same! Also, the new 2500 will have the same interior as the 1500 the only negative (IMO) is the back seat is the same size as the 2018 2500 and not as big as the 1500 crew.

I can think of about 20k reasons...

Geezzr

Reaction score
Before I order a loaded 4x4 Laramie crew cab, 5.7 , 3.92 rear end, I'm looking for opinions on the towing performance. I'll be towing a 10,000 lb travel trailer through Colorado and Wyoming mountains (lot of steep mountain passes). Sure, it's rated to 11,120 lbs, and I'm not expecting "warp drive", but you guys that have a similar rig, what's your opinion on towing performance? Can it maintain a good HWY speed (70 mph)? I don't plan on getting the E-torque, it sounds like it has too many problems.

Mark
I live in Laramie. You will hate travelling westbound on I80 with any gasser! The headwinds will kill you. Hope you get the 33 gallon tank. In the past I pulled a big RV with a GMC 8.1 and had to plan fuel stops carefully. While we now have 150 fewer cubic inches, you will use the same fuel to pull the same weight. I switched to diesel for 17 years with great results. That being said, my Limited pulls 8500 pretty well, with a little patience. My wife has a pool going with the extended family as to when I trade back to diesel!

U

User_7672

Mark
The person in this thread offered tons of info:
https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...19-ram-1500-everything-you-need-to-know.4819/

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2019 Ram 2500 Laramie with 6.4l and 8 speed isnt going to be much more than a 1500 laramie... add the Cummins then your price difference changes.

Guys drop more money on changing to power folding mirrors. And as a new owner of a 392 Hemi that 5 to 7 k is definitely worth it when towing at the max for a 1500.

And i think except for the 1500 probably being able to get a better "deal" the prices are near the same...it is the 3500 trucks and Cummins engine that make the HD more expensive.

But this is off topic. :)

orlando bull

Reaction score
Have a 3500 loaded Laramie on order. With Cummins, MSRP is $75k... 2500 is $1350 less, gas in $9100 less, so, $64k is for a loaded 2500. I've seen 1500 Laramie truck pretty close to that.

Now, % off MSRP is likely much better on the 1500s as of now, but, still highly unlikely that there's a $20k difference. Maybe $8k

Reaction score
Have a 3500 loaded Laramie on order. With Cummins, MSRP is $75k... 2500 is $1350 less, gas in $9100 less, so, $64k is for a loaded 2500. I've seen 1500 Laramie truck pretty close to that.

Now, % off MSRP is likely much better on the 1500s as of now, but, still highly unlikely that there's a $20k difference. Maybe $8k

MSRP is irrelevant.

Users who are viewing this thread