5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow / mode question.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
from my experience, MDS is activated much less when in tow haul mode, but it is not locked out. I'm not sure if its the 3.92 gears in the rebel, but my 4th gen with 3.21 gears went into MDS much more than my current rebel does. I still lock out of MDS by using the gear selector everytime i drive.

I always use tow haul mode when driving in hilly areas as well. almost never have to touch the breaks, and it puts less strain on the transmission by eliminating the need to constantly gear hunt
I agree in all aspects. Tow/haul mode has many uses...one of which is in hilly conditions. Technically you are hauling when you have more weight than 300lbs in the truck...I am 295...and it definitely helps with braking.

It gets annoying on flatter longer stretches when you just want to coast...but it is just a push of a button.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
from my experience, MDS is activated much less when in tow haul mode, but it is not locked out. I'm not sure if its the 3.92 gears in the rebel, but my 4th gen with 3.21 gears went into MDS much more than my current rebel does. I still lock out of MDS by using the gear selector everytime i drive.

I always use tow haul mode when driving in hilly areas as well. almost never have to touch the breaks, and it puts less strain on the transmission by eliminating the need to constantly gear hunt
Hmm. Still no, in Tow/Haul mode MDS will not come on.

raven_DT

Reaction score
Yes, with the 8spd both 4th and 5th Gen MDS is not locked out in Tow/Haul mode and it uses all 8 gears.

The only way to lock out MDS is to use the gear selector.

On the older 6 spds tow/haul did lock out 6th gear and MDS
That is incorrect. When tow/haul mode is selected no MDS.

raven_DT

Reaction score
I've towed +600 miles in my 19 and ALWAYS use tow/haul and dont recall my truck ever shifting into 8th gear, it always stays between 5th and 7th.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That is incorrect. When tow/haul mode is selected no MDS.
I guess it is incorrect. you and @Neurobit are the first 2 I have seen say this. I do not have a 5th Gen to replicate. So, I have to assume I do not have the correct info. Will see if I can find RAM trucks take on it.

With the countless threads we have on eco/MDS and so many who say they think their truck doesn't have it...they all do...it is really hard to shift through it all.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Haven't found RAM trucks take yet. But one of the million you tube videos.

Once again. I can't duplicate myself, but I am pretty sure RAM touted that MDS and 8th gear are achievable with tow/haul.

Guess we will debate like gears, payload, gas mileage lol

Yes, I know this is a 4th gen...but to my point.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Once again. I can't duplicate myself, but I am pretty sure RAM touted that MDS and 8th gear are achievable with tow/haul.

No worries. Can’t speak of the 4th gen though. That may be the case on those.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmm. Still no, in Tow/Haul mode MDS will not come on.
have you tried it on a long flat road using light/no throttle? that's interesting. i know for sure mine still comes on in tow/haul, just not as much. I'm not sure if your truck having start/stop or different gearing than mine has anything to do with it. I always turn my MDS off anyway when i drive, so now you're making me want to go test mine just to make sure im not going crazy :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I just tested this on mine. Engaging Tow/Haul changes the shift points, disables MDS, eliminates Aero mode (raises the truck to Normal), AND prevents stop/start. I tested this at various speeds to confirm. The truck drives like a demon in T/H, though...may save somebody (like me) the need to purchase a Pedal Commander :)

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just tested this on mine. Engaging Tow/Haul changes the shift points, disables MDS, eliminates Aero mode (raises the truck to Normal), AND prevents stop/start. I tested this at various speeds to confirm. The truck drives like a demon in T/H, though...may save somebody (like me) the need to purchase a Pedal Commander :)
Nice! yeah i use tow haul mode whenever i wanna hear that exhaust better lol, it's BA coming down hills hearing that engine breaking :ROFLMAO:. I'll do a controlled experiment on my rebel today to know for certain and report back.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Nah. You still need PD, it will be so much better with it. Guaranteed.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tested mine tonight in my rebel and mine disabled mds while In tow/haul mode as well

raven_DT

Reaction score

We are in a 5th gen forum discussing 5th gen tow/haul mode. I have never had MDS activate while towing with tow/haul mode engaged (over 600 miles to date) with my 2019 Ram DT.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I couldn't find a 5th gen video showing it...and now I know why.

Well aware of where I am. I do my best to provide accurate information, unfortunately I am not an owner of a 1500 anything much less a 5th Gen.

Apparently, they gave up the MDS in tow/haul mode. Which is a surprise to me since they tried making this one more fuel efficient.

I would have swore I read this from RAM, but I stand corrected.

Sorry, for the misinformation trying to keep up on 1500s and HeavyDuty without any personal experience with either is rough.

But, thank goodness we have a great group here that understands no one is perfect, we are all learning together, and the willingness to do a real world test for the answers we need.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Well aware of where I am. I do my best to provide accurate information, unfortunately I am not an owner of a 1500 anything much less a 5th Gen.

Apparently, they gave up the MDS in tow/haul mode. Which is a surprise to me since they tried making this one more fuel efficient.

Sorry, for the misinformation trying to keep up on 1500s and HeavyDuty without any personal experience with either is rough.

But, thank goodness we have a great group here that understands no one is perfect, we are all learning together, and the willingness to do a real world test for the answers we need.
You do a great job on here, @devildodge !

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

No worries. We greatly appreciate your contributions.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread