5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow / mode question.

Chanyote66

Reaction score
I guess Im a little late to this debate. but Tow/Haul in the 2020 models does not lock out MDS, Depending on your gear ratios and load it will hold out because it does shift the MDS trigger rpm. I have a 2020 1500 with the full tow package 3.92 and all ancillary harnesses and brake controllers. While Towing my Travel trailer at 3800lbs the only difference between tow/haul on and off is shift points and MDS point. I scanned the truck while towing and the MDS turns on when the engine load dropped below 50% without tow/haul it tried to enter MDS when below 60%. It will shift into 8th well before your MDS turns on, I have only seen this on the open road near Nashville TN where there is a long 1-2% down grade which is just enough to let the truck enter 8th gear and then MDS turns on if there was no head winds. Just the slightest head wind against me at 65mph turned off MDS, If I ran at 70mph MDS did not turn on due to the same drag as the head winds. I could see how those with the 3.21 will not see MDS in tow/haul due to the taller gears which will (as stated above) require higher speeds to reach 8th gear. I have not seen MDS turn on in any other gear when towing. (my wife and I did laugh as we passed a ~2015 f150 towing the same trailer as us while we were in MDS and 8th gear... 4 banger towing! ok... we were going down hill)

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just tested this on mine. Engaging Tow/Haul changes the shift points, disables MDS, eliminates Aero mode (raises the truck to Normal), AND prevents stop/start. I tested this at various speeds to confirm. The truck drives like a demon in T/H, though...may save somebody (like me) the need to purchase a Pedal Commander :)
Completely opposite on my Ram. Does change shift points, but thats all. But might be yours is different than the rest.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Completely opposite on my Ram. Does change shift points, but thats all. But might be yours is different than the rest.
Quite the opposite. It seems yours is different then the rest.
Every other 2019-2020 5th gen on this forum behaves like that. Mine included.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Quite the opposite. It seems yours is different then the rest.
Every other 2019-2020 5th gen on this forum behaves like that. Mine included.
Mine shuts off aero mode too, MDS is inactive in tow haul here, 2019 Limited

Chanyote66

Reaction score
another note... Since I do not have air ride, my auto air dam still deploys when towing with tow/haul enabled...

McRib

Reaction score
I can confirm on my 2019 with the 5.7 eTorque that Tow/Haul mode disables 8th gear.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

Chanyote66

Reaction score
I can confirm on my 2019 with the 5.7 eTorque that Tow/Haul mode disables 8th gear.

Is this something I should be concerned about?
no. what axle do you have? I have the 3.92 and it rarely enters 8th, it is even more rare to enter MDS.

Chanyote66

Reaction score
Mine shuts off aero mode too, MDS is inactive in tow haul here, 2019 Limited

This makes sense to disable... if you setup your trailer properly and close to level, but then it drops the truck, you will be nose down quite a bit, or if you have weight distribution it would be severely stressing the setup.

Jp306

Reaction score
CORRECTION: When tow/haul mode is selected my truck will shift into 8th, just not while towing our travel travel.
Can I ask what speed you were at to get into 8th gear (unloaded) while in tow/haul? This thread is so interesting haha. Lots of different experiences. I couldn't get to 8th this morning in tow/haul and unloaded doing 60mph.
I have a Big Horn with 3.92 and have played around with tow/haul with a travel trailer and unloaded. It has never reached 8th while towing, but I CAN get into 8th if I turn it off, accelerate quickly then take my foot off the gas fast so the engine isn't working much, THEN click tow/haul back on. But coming across it naturally won't happen.
This morning unloaded same thing. Easy cruising of 60mph tow/haul OFF = 8th gear and ECO if nice and level. Click tow/haul ON during these conditions = immediately goes down to 7th, ECO off. Click it OFF again = 8th and ECO. Same thing at 40mph where it would normally be in 8th and ECO consistenly on = 7th and no ECO in tow/haul.
I'm not convinced tow/haul doesn't lock out 8th at this point, but I will have to play around with different speeds.

KMach

Reaction score
Can I ask what speed you were at to get into 8th gear (unloaded) while in tow/haul? This thread is so interesting haha. Lots of different experiences. I couldn't get to 8th this morning in tow/haul and unloaded doing 60mph.
I have a Big Horn with 3.92 and have played around with tow/haul with a travel trailer and unloaded. It has never reached 8th while towing, but I CAN get into 8th if I turn it off, accelerate quickly then take my foot off the gas fast so the engine isn't working much, THEN click tow/haul back on. But coming across it naturally won't happen.
This morning unloaded same thing. Easy cruising of 60mph tow/haul OFF = 8th gear and ECO if nice and level. Click tow/haul ON during these conditions = immediately goes down to 7th, ECO off. Click it OFF again = 8th and ECO. Same thing at 40mph where it would normally be in 8th and ECO consistenly on = 7th and no ECO in tow/haul.
I'm not convinced tow/haul doesn't lock out 8th at this point, but I will have to play around with different speeds.
Per DealerConnect... it states tow/haul prohibits 8th gear overdrive. However, when towing, anything over 67mph mine will go into 8th on level surfaces. I also have 3.92 gears. As stated above MDS is disabled once tow/haul is active

Users who are viewing this thread