5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow Mirrors, are they worth it?

RAMDJ

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of complains here on this forum about losing features when getting the tow mirrors on their RAMs. One of the main purpose of me purchasing a truck is to tow a new boat that I purchased (yes, I bought a boat without a tow vehicle). Not having towed anything substantial besides a kayak trailer, are the tow mirrors that much more useful over the standard mirrors? I would assume it would make a good difference. I am planning on picking up a Rebel and the only feature I lose that I am aware of is the power folding.

1stTimeRAM

Reaction score
For towing a boat, unless it's monstrous, the regular mirrors will be what you want. The tow mirrors are for towing large/wide trailers, 5th wheels, etc.

RAMDJ

Reaction score
For towing a boat, unless it's monstrous, the regular mirrors will be what you want. The tow mirrors are for towing large/wide trailers, 5th wheels, etc.

The boat is a 18-foot pontoon. I don't see myself towing anything wider than that, but of course, I didn't see myself a year ago buying a pontoon boat. Such is life.

Last edited:
S

Smashy71

I tow a 20ft dovetail with the power folding non tow mirrors just fine. You can always get the strap on tow mirrors for the really big wonky loads.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of complains here on this forum about losing features when getting the tow mirrors on their RAMs. One of the main purpose of me purchasing a truck is to tow a new boat that I purchased (yes, I bought a boat without a tow vehicle). Not having towed anything substantial besides a kayak trailer, are the tow mirrors that much more useful over the standard mirrors? I would assume it would make a good difference. I am planning on picking up a Rebel and the only feature I lose that I am aware of is the power folding.
They are worth it if you tow. I’ve had trucks without them and for me they are a must have. The only thing you loose is the power folding. Only an issue is when I go through a car wash.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are like me; you will probably tow your boat less often than you intend. I have had a RAM with the tow mirrors before. My current RAM does not have the tow mirrors. Personally, I see no advantage to the tow mirrors unless you are towing a HUGE trailer regularly. The standard non-towing power folding mirrors do great when towing my 18 foot bass boat; I have no issues seeing the entire trailer and its surroundings. The power folding mirrors have a rather large blind spot mirror added to them; which makes it even easier. In addition, you can select the backup camera to "on" if you need a good look at your boat and trailer. The towing mirrors are giant and look out of place on a 1500 (to me).
I also love the power folding option of the standard mirrors because all it takes is the touch of a button to fold them in. These trucks are pretty wide; so I often use the power folding option when parking. Getting out to fold the mirrors manually is something that I just do not want to do.
I suppose it is a personal preference and there are people that would argue both ways. I do tow a boat and a utility trailer with my RAM (power folding mirrors) and do not miss the enormous towing mirrors that my old RAM had.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
Rebel tow mirrors aren't heated so if you're in a colder climate I'd definitely pass.

You can add aftermarket heated tow mirrors fairly easy if you didn't get them from the factory. But adding heat to the factory non heated tow mirrors is far more intensive.

fat trout

Reaction score
you are fine without them. I had a 2007 GMC sierra with mirrors that were smaller than my Ram mirrors (without th tow package). Towed boats to 20' all that time. no issues.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The standard Ram mirrors have a far reach for a standard mirror and include a blind spot mirror.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They are worth it if you tow. I’ve had trucks without them and for me they are a must have. The only thing you loose is the power folding. Only an issue is when I go through a car wash.

You also lose the 360 view cameras depending on which trim you order. You still have a reverse camera but the front, and sides are gone.

RAMDJ

Reaction score
Thank you all for your input!

If you are like me; you will probably tow your boat less often than you intend. I have had a RAM with the tow mirrors before. My current RAM does not have the tow mirrors. Personally, I see no advantage to the tow mirrors unless you are towing a HUGE trailer regularly. The standard non-towing power folding mirrors do great when towing my 18 foot bass boat; I have no issues seeing the entire trailer and its surroundings. The power folding mirrors have a rather large blind spot mirror added to them; which makes it even easier. In addition, you can select the backup camera to "on" if you need a good look at your boat and trailer. The towing mirrors are giant and look out of place on a 1500 (to me).
I also love the power folding option of the standard mirrors because all it takes is the touch of a button to fold them in. These trucks are pretty wide; so I often use the power folding option when parking. Getting out to fold the mirrors manually is something that I just do not want to do.
I suppose it is a personal preference and there are people that would argue both ways. I do tow a boat and a utility trailer with my RAM (power folding mirrors) and do not miss the enormous towing mirrors that my old RAM had.

You are hitting right on my thought process. I am thinking I will use the power folding more than the towing mirrors no doubt. The question then becomes would I use the tow mirrors enough to make it worth while. Right now, I don't think so.

Rebel tow mirrors aren't heated so if you're in a colder climate I'd definitely pass.

You can add aftermarket heated tow mirrors fairly easy if you didn't get them from the factory. But adding heat to the factory non heated tow mirrors is far more intensive.

Heated mirrors isn't really an issue for me as I am in Florida. This is also an option I considered too. If it ever gets to the point where I need the tow mirrors, I can also 'upgrade' after the fact.

You also lose the 360 view cameras depending on which trim you order. You still have a reverse camera but the front, and sides are gone.

The Rebel doesn't have the 360 camera, so that is a non issue for me.

What is really frustrating to me, is the fact my father's 2500 has power folding tow mirrors so it isn't like they can't do it. It actually makes more sense to have power folding tow mirrors because of their additional length vs the standard mirrors. one step forward and 5 steps back.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents, pretty much in line with everyone else. I have regular mirrors on my ‘19 Longhorn. I tow the same livestock trailer with it that I did my previous Heavy Duty truck with tow mirrors. The trailer is roughly 6’9” wide and I can see around it just fine with the regular mirrors. I do not miss the tow mirrors like I thought I might.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got the tow mirrors. For the first week after my purchase I was kicking myself by not custom ordering to select the power fold with 360 cameras. I have a tight garage I need to back into in order to exit the vehicle and that 360 camera would have been nice in addition to the added width of the two mirrors potentially damaging the side of the garage or my wife's vehicle.

But.... I have read that there have been some wind howl issues with the power folds (which I have not experienced) and I have grown to actually like the tow mirrors after I found the option in uconnect that you can set the mirrors to auto tilt on reverse. The blind side portion of the mirror does not tilt and still gives me a horizontal view of my rear surroundings that I need to back in, along with referencing the back camera view. Once I tow I think I will appreciate the tow mirrors as opposed to the standard mirror and 360 view but I will see. Just throwing my experience out there if anyone is on the fence.

arizonapaul

Reaction score
Tow mirrors are an absolute deal breaker for me. When I was looking, before I built my Longhorn, it seems 9 out of 10 limited's and Longhorns had the tow mirrors on my dealers lot. I tow atv's and definitely didn't need them, but I was somewhat shocked at the amount of vehicles that had them. The average Joe Schmooe like me would never need them, and the dealer did admit that someone went overboard when ordering and might be a problem down the road.

I could not imagine having to fold them everytime I parked or went into my single garage bay, plus to lose the 360 camera, wow, no way for me...

RAMDJ

Reaction score
I've got the tow mirrors. For the first week after my purchase I was kicking myself by not custom ordering to select the power fold with 360 cameras. I have a tight garage I need to back into in order to exit the vehicle and that 360 camera would have been nice in addition to the added width of the two mirrors potentially damaging the side of the garage or my wife's vehicle.

But.... I have read that there have been some wind howl issues with the power folds (which I have not experienced) and I have grown to actually like the tow mirrors after I found the option in uconnect that you can set the mirrors to auto tilt on reverse. The blind side portion of the mirror does not tilt and still gives me a horizontal view of my rear surroundings that I need to back in, along with referencing the back camera view. Once I tow I think I will appreciate the tow mirrors as opposed to the standard mirror and 360 view but I will see. Just throwing my experience out there if anyone is on the fence.

So do the stock mirrors have the auto tilt feature when backing? That would be very useful.

jk101

Reaction score
So do the stock mirrors have the auto tilt feature when backing? That would be very useful.
They do on the Limited trim. I turned mine off as its freaking annoying, to me anyway.

Tom488

Reaction score
They do on the Limited trim. I turned mine off as its freaking annoying, to me anyway.
On Laramie (and presumably Longhorn) trim, as well. My truck has that feature. Like you, I disabled them, as I'm not 4'8" tall, and it seemed they tilted down way too much.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, it was on by default. I disabled it the first time it engaged and I lost my view. I've got a 360 camera view, I don't need the tilt on Reverse.

Users who are viewing this thread