5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow Mirror Swap

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wonder if they'll retrofit to older models after release?
I doubt it would be a cheap easy upgrade. Would probably need a different harness, to be able to add the switch to extend, besides the mirrors themselves.

MTaylor

Reaction score
The problem is, you’re asking a dealer.
This is very simple. You find the non-tow mirrors you want (used or new), bolt them on, plug them in, use AlfaOBD or Jscan to disable the tow mirror present setting, and you’re good to go.
I found a thread on a TRX forum, can't respond as I'm not a member. See pic, this is my biggest fear! Just turning off Tow mirrors present via AlfaOBD, is this changing sales code or just removing the feature that corrects directional adjustments when up/down?

If not removing sales code, then 360 cam angles likely will always be an issue regardless if mirrors are from a Rebel or another trim. Maybe I'd test if I could find a cheaper set of mirrors but not sure I'm willing to dive into this at dealer prices.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230716_091931_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230716_091931_Chrome.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 21

MTaylor

Reaction score
I doubt it would be a cheap easy upgrade. Would probably need a different harness, to be able to add the switch to extend, besides the mirrors themselves.
Totally agree. And would need new door module as well which may not fit older models.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I found a thread on a TRX forum, can't respond as I'm not a member. See pic, this is my biggest fear! Just turning off Tow mirrors present via AlfaOBD, is this changing sales code or just removing the feature that corrects directional adjustments when up/down?

If not removing sales code, then 360 cam angles likely will always be an issue regardless if mirrors are from a Rebel or another trim. Maybe I'd test if I could find a cheaper set of mirrors but not sure I'm willing to dive into this at dealer prices.
The only thing the tow mirror sales code does is tells the door modules that it needs to rearrange the mirror glass directional controls when they sense the mirrors are rotated 90° into the tow position. AlfaOBD does the same thing as the sales codes do. You don’t HAVE to disable the tow mode feature, but there will probably be faults stored in the door modules for sensor that isn’t there that it’s told to look for, but that won’t affect anything.
Post a pic of what your individual side camera view looks like. It won’t matter which mirror style cameras you have, but if they look a little misaligned after the new mirrors are installed, then you’ll just use AlfaOBD to calibrate the cameras.
Also, don’t go directly to a dealership to buy parts, because you’ll be paying full MSRP. Use an online mopar parts supplier, such as bamwholesale, allmoparparts, etc.
Totally agree. And would need new door module as well which may not fit older models.
You won’t need new door modules. The only difference between the types of door modules is whether or not they’re capable of power folding the mirrors. So, if you have power folding mirrors now, and you get new mirrors that are also power folding, then you wouldn’t change the door modules.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only thing the tow mirror sales code does is tells the door modules that it needs to rearrange the mirror glass directional controls when they sense the mirrors are rotated 90° into the tow position. AlfaOBD does the same thing as the sales codes do. You don’t HAVE to disable the tow mode feature, but there will probably be faults stored in the door modules for sensor that isn’t there that it’s told to look for, but that won’t affect anything.
Post a pic of what your individual side camera view looks like. It won’t matter which mirror style cameras you have, but if they look a little misaligned after the new mirrors are installed, then you’ll just use AlfaOBD to calibrate the cameras.
Also, don’t go directly to a dealership to buy parts, because you’ll be paying full MSRP. Use an online mopar parts supplier, such as bamwholesale, allmoparparts, etc.

You won’t need new door modules. The only difference between the types of door modules is whether or not they’re capable of power folding the mirrors. So, if you have power folding mirrors now, and you get new mirrors that are also power folding, then you wouldn’t change the door modules.
Jimmy - this is a bit off topic, but if I swap out a set of standard mirrors that only have power and heat with a set of mirrors that have puddle lights, turn signals and heat, those functions will work without any other wiring needing to be done? I'm under the impression those functions come from the factory and just have to have the mirrors with those functions on them. I have Alfa which i can turn those functions on in there too if needed.

MTaylor

Reaction score
Thank You for the quick response. Good to know if calibration is off, that AlfaOBD can do that too! Guess it's time to make another purchase once I find a complete set of mirrors.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank You for the quick response. Good to know if calibration is off, that AlfaOBD can do that too! Guess it's time to make another purchase once I find a complete set of mirrors.
AlfaOBD and the two parts you need are worth the investment. I've used mine a number of times for things and used it on a few buddies trucks too.

wlrottge

Reaction score
I've got a 2020 Limited with the chrome standard/sport (?) mirrors with all the bells and whistles. If someone wanted to make some kind of trade for the equivalent tow version (360 camera and blind spot, etc.), I'd certainly be interested!!!

Arth

Reaction score
Well I think I am going to swap my sport mirrors (360 Camera/Blindspot/Metallic black/etc) for tow mirrors with matching options. I can do it myself and program with Alfa. Looks like it'll cost me just under $1200 to my door.

wlrottge

Reaction score
Well I think I am going to swap my sport mirrors (360 Camera/Blindspot/Metallic black/etc) for tow mirrors with matching options. I can do it myself and program with Alfa. Looks like it'll cost me just under $1200 to my door.
Looking forward to hearing how it goes

Geddesk2

Reaction score
Any update on thid swap? Just picked up a 2024 limited and it has the tow mirrors Id love to get regular black mirrors or trade someone.

Arth

Reaction score
Any update on thid swap? Just picked up a 2024 limited and it has the tow mirrors Id love to get regular black mirrors or trade someone.
My order was canceled due to parts shortage. Waiting to see if/when they get restocked.

I'm down for a trade but logistically I am struggling finding someone nearby.

Geddesk2

Reaction score
My order was canceled due to parts shortage. Waiting to see if/when they get restocked.

I'm down for a trade but logistically I am struggling finding someone nearby.
Id be interested in working out a trade with you, im in WA. Shoot me a message if you are interested!

Ramsay

Reaction score
The problem is, you’re asking a dealer.
This is very simple. You find the non-tow mirrors you want (used or new), bolt them on, plug them in, use AlfaOBD or Jscan to disable the tow mirror present setting, and you’re good to go.

Your name keeping popping up whenever I'm searching for tow mirror swap info. Don't ask the dealer is right, they're always so confused. Long story short, I bought a 2023 1500 Limited with all the bells and whistles. I was told it had tow mirrors, but it did not. Dealer is willing to pay for the labor to do the swap, but are clueless on part numbers. I would like black tow mirrors, but one guy called me to tell me that I would lose my blindspot monitoring and 360 cams and another guy told me I won't lose anything. Do you know if I will be able to retain my 360 cam, puddle lights, heated mirror, and blind spot w/trailer features with the swap? And better yet, part numbers needed? I've done the search on this site and haven't found a definitive answer. Thanks in advance.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your name keeping popping up whenever I'm searching for tow mirror swap info. Don't ask the dealer is right, they're always so confused. Long story short, I bought a 2023 1500 Limited with all the bells and whistles. I was told it had tow mirrors, but it did not. Dealer is willing to pay for the labor to do the swap, but are clueless on part numbers. I would like black tow mirrors, but one guy called me to tell me that I would lose my blindspot monitoring and 360 cams and another guy told me I won't lose anything. Do you know if I will be able to retain my 360 cam, puddle lights, heated mirror, and blind spot w/trailer features with the swap? And better yet, part numbers needed? I've done the search on this site and haven't found a definitive answer. Thanks in advance.
Black or chrome mirrors?

Arth

Reaction score

To answer your question you won't lose any options except maybe passenger auto dim. You need to get the right towing mirrors for your swap.

I swapped from regular mirrors to towing on my 21 and will be doing the same again on my 23.

Users who are viewing this thread