5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow Mirror Swap

MTaylor

Reaction score
I'm posting here for more eyes, but if this is better suited in the Mods/Acc forum...then pls move.

Two months ago I traded in a 2013 Ram 1500 Sport for a 2023 Rebel Night Edition Hemi 4x4. The truck is loaded with all the Tech & Safety pkgs, UC5 as well as Tow pkg. I don't tow frequently and when I do it's smaller trailers ..nothing the size of large TTs so what I've got is a bit of overkill. The passenger Tow mirror I HATE! Mirrors have all the options: Pwr folding, Pwr adj, heat, blind spot, puddle lights, as well as 360 cameras.

Has anyone with new 5th Gen swapped successfully tow mirrors for sport mirrors with all the options? Reading all the old threads, seems it might be a pain or not possible (especially camera calibration). Again, these were old threads so not sure of its similar to newer models. I will be going to talk to dealer but wanted to start here to see if this is even possible.

A few pics for attention. Thx in advance for any all comments.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230527_191013_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230527_191013_Facebook.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 104
  • 20230513_120837.jpg
    20230513_120837.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 20230513_083310.jpg
    20230513_083310.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 102

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You can definitely swap them out for the regular mirrors, but before you attempt it ask @Jimmy07 if it's plug and play. He's the resident expert on these type of swaps.

Arth

Reaction score
I'm posting here for more eyes, but if this is better suited in the Mods/Acc forum...then pls move.

Two months ago I traded in a 2013 Ram 1500 Sport for a 2023 Rebel Night Edition Hemi 4x4. The truck is loaded with all the Tech & Safety pkgs, UC5 as well as Tow pkg. I don't tow frequently and when I do it's smaller trailers ..nothing the size of large TTs so what I've got is a bit of overkill. The passenger Tow mirror I HATE! Mirrors have all the options: Pwr folding, Pwr adj, heat, blind spot, puddle lights, as well as 360 cameras.

Has anyone with new 5th Gen swapped successfully tow mirrors for sport mirrors with all the options? Reading all the old threads, seems it might be a pain or not possible (especially camera calibration). Again, these were old threads so not sure of its similar to newer models. I will be going to talk to dealer but wanted to start here to see if this is even possible.

A few pics for attention. Thx in advance for any all comments.

Back in 21 I swapped from regular to tow mirrors on my 2021 Limited. No issues for me. I don't recall if the camera images were off but the 360 camera system functioned as normal. I didn't require any extra parts as my truck had all the correct modules.

I would venture a guess and say it would be possible to do the reverse as long as the options were the same. I am assuming you and I are far away or else I'd be up for a swap with my 23 Limited regular mirrors. I have the blackout package so they're running the painted black mirror covers.

MTaylor

Reaction score
Back in 21 I swapped from regular to tow mirrors on my 2021 Limited. No issues for me. I don't recall if the camera images were off but the 360 camera system functioned as normal. I didn't require any extra parts as my truck had all the correct modules.

I would venture a guess and say it would be possible to do the reverse as long as the options were the same. I am assuming you and I are far away or else I'd be up for a swap with my 23 Limited regular mirrors. I have the blackout package so they're running the painted black mirror covers.
I'm in Houston, not sure where you're located. Were the cameras in same location, below arm extension like in my original pic and not on actual mirror housing?

Curious now, do all trims use same style of mirror, bc tow mirrors on my Rebel are not painted...they're like a black matte housing, not smooth painted like rest of truck. I'll have to look when I go chat with dealer.

Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Curious now, do all trims use same style of mirror, bc tow mirrors on my Rebel are not painted...they're like a black matte housing, not smooth painted like rest of truck. I'll have to look when I go chat with dealer
There are a few styles of mirrors, black matte, painted body color caps, and gloss black mirrors.

I would be interested in your take off mirrors if you swap them out. 😉

Arth

Reaction score
I'm in Houston, not sure where you're located. Were the cameras in same location, below arm extension like in my original pic and not on actual mirror housing?

Curious now, do all trims use same style of mirror, bc tow mirrors on my Rebel are not painted...they're like a black matte housing, not smooth painted like rest of truck. I'll have to look when I go chat with dealer.

I am in SoCal.

For the tow mirror's they are in the arm. That's just how they're built. Also all tow mirrors come in one of two flavors, chrome caps or the textured like what you've got.

As for regular mirrors, as mentioned above me, they come in a few different variations depending on trim and package of that particular truck.

Here are some pics showing my 21 when I went from regular to tow. Unfortunately I don't have any info as far as camera calibration etc. I personally never did any of that. Only changes I made to the truck using Alfaobd were to have it recognize it was now equipped with tow mirrors.

21 Ram with tow.jpg 21 Ram without tow.jpg

BTB123

Reaction score
I, somehow have got used to the tow mirrors. I hated the passenger mirror and adjusted non stop the first month. I finally have them where I want them and will keep them for their versatility.

MTaylor

Reaction score
I, somehow have got used to the tow mirrors. I hated the passenger mirror and adjusted non stop the first month. I finally have them where I want them and will keep them for their versatility.
@BTB123 Got any tips? Lol. This is 1st truck i've had with tow mirrors so as of now I just can't get comfortable with em.

Love the truck but that damn passenger mirror

BTB123

Reaction score
@BTB123 Got any tips? Lol
Yes. On both sides I adjust my main mirror so that if I lean over just a bit I can see the rear of my Ram. Then I adjust the convex to pick up right at the same point.
With this set up I have found that if there was a vehicle there it will be in one of the mirrors.
What was jacking me up was looking at one mirror and then trying to focus on the other piece of it, If that makes sense. Now I glance over and if both mirrors are clear I’m good.
Hopefully this makes sense and is helpful. If it isn’t, hit me up again and maybe I’ll video what I do.

MTaylor

Reaction score
Yes. On both sides I adjust my main mirror so that if I lean over just a bit I can see the rear of my Ram. Then I adjust the convex to pick up right at the same point.
With this set up I have found that if there was a vehicle there it will be in one of the mirrors.
What was jacking me up was looking at one mirror and then trying to focus on the other piece of it, If that makes sense. Now I glance over and if both mirrors are clear I’m good.
Hopefully this makes sense and is helpful. If it isn’t, hit me up again and maybe I’ll video what I do.
Yup, makes sense...just so weird for me that I can't see *** of my truck and vehicle coming up to corner. Just unsettling ..but guess that's where the convex spot mirror comes into play. As I said, first time with this type, so I'm sure it may just be a time issue.

Hell, I've almost contemplated flipping up to stack em so convex at bottom I can see rear end and vehicle coming up but it just doesn't look great and makes the truck look unnecessarily wide (esp for a short bed 1500). Hell, I'm not a lot lower or shirt than a 2500 and most HDs run full time flipped up, lol.

Thx for the comments/advice.

6of36

Reaction score
The factory 1500 tow mirrors suck. The 2500s have power extending for towing. They won't have them on 1500s, til the 25 refresh.

BTB123

Reaction score
Yup, makes sense...just so weird for me that I can't see *** of my truck and vehicle coming up to corner. Just unsettling ..but guess that's where the convex spot mirror comes into play. As I said, first time with this type, so I'm sure it may just be a time issue.

Hell, I've almost contemplated flipping up to stack em so convex at bottom I can see rear end and vehicle coming up but it just doesn't look great and makes the truck look unnecessarily wide (esp for a short bed 1500). Hell, I'm not a lot lower or shirt than a 2500 and most HDs run full time flipped up, lol.

Thx for the comments/advice.
I wanted to run mine up too. Much easier to see. But, I guess it’s not cool and it really does look bad IMO on the 1500. But, seeing trumps both of those things so if it works better, do it.

MTaylor

Reaction score
The factory 1500 tow mirrors suck. The 2500s have power extending for towing. They won't have them on 1500s, til the 25 refresh.
Maybe something to look forward too

N0cturnal

Reaction score
Same here. I hated it when picking up the truck, and still don't really like it but getting used to it. I did asked the dealer to find how much it will cost to replace it with regular mirrors - they quoted $2400 to replace it with equivalent features - I believe the price was $900 for each mirror plus labor.

MTaylor

Reaction score
Same here. I hated it when picking up the truck, and still don't really like it but getting used to it. I did asked the dealer to find how much it will cost to replace it with regular mirrors - they quoted $2400 to replace it with equivalent features - I believe the price was $900 for each mirror plus labor.
Damn, for that price I'll keep em. If it was closer to $1k, I might actually do it then offset cost by selling tow mirrors (sure they'd go quick).

MTaylor

Reaction score
Just got back from talking to 2 diff dealers, both said same thing. It's okay to go from reg to tow mirrors...this is an upgrade that works with addition of sales code.

However, they said I cannot "downgrade" from tow to reg even with same options. Seems strange to me in all honesty. One dealer said they'd order but since its tied to VIN, if they didn't work or threw codes I'd be out of pocket with no return possible. Said they actually tried and failed b4 and they guy was out over $2k! Something about not being able to remove coding for tow mirrors. Maybe this'll make sense to others...still boggles my simple brain.

Guess I now tweak more and give it time while waiting to see if a future 1500 refresh will get us new style stacked mirrors like the 2500s.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just got back from talking to 2 diff dealers, both said same thing. It's okay to go from reg to tow mirrors...this is an upgrade that works with addition of sales code.

However, they said I cannot "downgrade" from tow to reg even with same options. Seems strange to me in all honesty. One dealer said they'd order but since its tied to VIN, if they didn't work or threw codes I'd be out of pocket with no return possible. Said they actually tried and failed b4 and they guy was out over $2k! Something about not being able to remove coding for tow mirrors. Maybe this'll make sense to others...still boggles my simple brain.

Guess I now tweak more and give it time while waiting to see if a future 1500 refresh will get us new style stacked mirrors like the 2500s.
The problem is, you’re asking a dealer.
This is very simple. You find the non-tow mirrors you want (used or new), bolt them on, plug them in, use AlfaOBD or Jscan to disable the tow mirror present setting, and you’re good to go.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is very simple. You find the non-tow mirrors you want (used or new), bolt them on, plug them in, use AlfaOBD or Jscan to disable the tow mirror present setting, and you’re good to go.
THIS!
It blows my mind how over-complicated dealers will make things. You 100% can go from tow mirrors to standard sport style mirrors. I doubt you would even need to reprogram anything. Maybe if the new mirrors did not have a feature your stock mirrors had, just turn that feature off with Alfa, but that is about the extent of it.

6of36

Reaction score

The 2025 1500s will have the same mirrors as the 2500s. It was in one of the release videos.

MTaylor

Reaction score
Thx for the reply, heard u were the resident mirror expert! Doesn't sound difficult but I know nothing about AlphaOBD or Jscan. Anything else needed? Know of YT vids?

Is this same by year, ive got a 23 with U5. Are mirrors similar for all Gen 5s? Do you think there would be issues with 360 cameras and if so, any way to calibrate if they're off center given cameras are mounted diff?

Users who are viewing this thread