5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow hitch in a an accident

I tow trailers multiple times a week in the warmer months, so I never take my hitch out of the truck. I have heard of these supposed not legal to keep a hitch in the vehicle laws many times, but nobody has ever shared a statute of it. Asked a cop once and he laughed and said no.

I have been in 2 rear ending accidents. Both with a hitch installed.
1st was with my mom in her suburban. A civic rear ended us hard, totalling the civic. Only damage to the suburban was the wiring harness needed to be replaced.

2nd was in my Honda crv with the hitch in. Some small car rear ended me. Clearly punched a hole through her radiator as fluid was all spilled on the street. Not a scratch for me, so I let her go without calling insurance.

Did the hitch help in either? Idk, but I still leave the hitch in 100% of the time unless carrying my motorcycle or something else that goes in the reciever.

I think the answer to this question depends on the severity of the crash. A receiver hitch is rigid obviously, so all that energy will go into the frame directly when hit. The bumper on the other hand is designed with a certain amount of energy absorption built in.

I was rear-ended once and it folded my receiver hitch down to the pavement and bent both frame rails. The impact was from a Tacoma rear-ending a van which then rear-ended me, so it wasn't even a direct blow to my truck.

I don't ever leave my ball mount in anymore unless I need it for towing.

I think I would rather have my bumper damaged and use the insurance money to buy an after market one. I need someone to back into my front bumper too.

I was about to mention this, our old Jeep Grand Cherokee got a fresh new factory 2" receiver from our Chrysler for the fuel tank recall.
If there was a hitch installed previously that was too close to the fuel tank they replaced it with a factory hitch. Reason was the impact to the hitch could cause fuel tank to be punctured.

I don't care what anyone says, there are too many variables involved to give you a straight answer whether the hitch will help or hinder in an accident. If this is a discussion about whether to keep the hitch on the truck when not towing anything then MY opinion is take it off because it's looks stupid.

I'd say, considering the hitch receiver sticks out almost flush with the bumper anyway, if there was a rear impact hard enough that you were worried about frame damage, it was going to bend the frame whether you had the hitch installed or not. Low speed impacts I could see it preventing damage to the bumper depending on how for out your hitch sits

If there was a hitch installed previously that was too close to the fuel tank they replaced it with a factory hitch. Reason was the impact to the hitch could cause fuel tank to be punctured.
With this recall...there was no hitch installed. The jeeps were having the gas tanks ruptured in rear collisions ..so the recall was to put a hitch in the jeeps to "solve" the problem

It will depend on the situation. A receiver hitch with a steep drop will put the most torque on the frame as when lower vehicle hits it, it is going to push under and pull the hitch and frame with it if it's a hard enough impact. A reciever that sticks straight out or a hitch step would be the most effective at preventing damage as the impact will push into the hitch and frame more lateraly and not torque it down.

With this recall...there was no hitch installed. The jeeps were having the gas tanks ruptured in rear collisions ..so the recall was to put a hitch in the jeeps to "solve" the problem
Guess I don't know what I am talking about. I never performed the recall.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221218_133524_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20221218_133524_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 18
I would imagine that if it was an aftermarket part causing the issues the fix wouldn't be to replace an aftermarket part, installed by owner, with a Mopar part, but instead just remove the aftermarket part. The aftermarket part would be deemed the problem, and should release Jeep of any liability.

I would imagine that if it was an aftermarket part causing the issues the fix wouldn't be to replace an aftermarket part, installed by owner, with a Mopar part, but instead just remove the aftermarket part. The aftermarket part would be deemed the problem, and should release Jeep of any liability.
That's exactly what it was, remove aftermarket hitch, if failed inspection and install oem hitch.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221218_140323_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20221218_140323_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 8
Having something in the receiver has saved two trucks for me. One was low speed, but cracked the Rav4 bumper. The other was an Accord doing about 45 and was hauled off on a roll away. Had to replace the draw bar after that one.

Last edited:

Gotcha, that makes sense. Ours never had a hitch, we got one to I assume protect the fuel tank.

We were not talking about that. That was all I meant. I wasn't saying there was not also another recall.

I hate talking on forums anymore. I am out.

We were not talking about that. That was all I meant. I wasn't saying there was not also another recall.

I hate talking on forums anymore. I am out.
We were not even talking about hating forums, and what are you out of?

Sorry, I’m couldn’t resist poking the bear.

My buddy has a 99' Cherokee. There was a recall that installed a hitch to protect his fuel tank, but no wiring harness. He doesn't tow, so he never added a stock hitch, or wiring after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back