5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow hitch in a an accident

dfk140

Reaction score
Two friends had discussion the other day on tow hitches in an accident and wanted to get this group's opinion. One was of the opinion that if you get rear-ended with a tow hitch in it has good chance of protecting your truck if you're not hit that hard. The other guy said this is a popular misconception, and that its actually worse, because you can get your frame bent that way. The first guy countered if you get hit hard enough in tow hitch that it bends your frame, it'd bend your frame anyway if you didn't have the tow hitch in. So, who is right?

evanxrs

Reaction score
Well it will help with physical damage and it will likely stop the impact. Hit hard enough yes it can bend your frame.

Rumor is you can get a ticket for having a tow hitch in and not trailering anything but again that is a rumor.

I take mine out as it promotes rust.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

ddang66224

Reaction score
Was in an accident once where a midsize SUV we rear ended a truck with a tow hitch in. THe truck's tow hitch was long enough that it went through the bumper and pierced the radiator, assuming it hit some cross member which stopped the suv from moving any further into the truck. Truck had no visible damage, and the car I was in had to be towed off.

I would agree that if it was hard enough to bend the frame, hitch is no longer a variable. I know hitches are designed to be very rigid for towing but towing forces are very different from high speed impacts at least ones great enough to bend the frame. Wouldn't the hitch or the bolts mounting to hitch to frame give before bending the frame though/.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well it will help with physical damage and it will likely stop the impact. Hit hard enough yes it can bend your frame.

Rumor is you can get a ticket for having a tow hitch in and not trailering anything but again that is a rumor.

I take mine out as it promotes rust.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
You are correct, there are states where there are laws around that. Probably insurance companies trying to save themselves money in low speed impacts

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

FishOn

Reaction score
Nissan Sentra vs. my F350 worktruck. His skid marks were 186' BEFORE he hit me... He still hit so hard, he pushed me into to car in front of me, both of his doors blew open and the car caught fire. Bent the hell out of the hitch (pushed it into the spare tire), the bumper and a bit of the box, but there was no frame damage.
100_3835_LI.jpg
100_3836_LI.jpg
100_3838_LI.jpg

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Nissan Sentra vs. my F350 worktruck. His skid marks were 186' BEFORE he hit me... He still hit so hard, he pushed me into to car in front of me, both of his doors blew open and the car caught fire. Bent the hell out of the hitch (pushed it into the spare tire), the bumper and a bit of the box, but there was no frame damage.
View attachment 74772
View attachment 74774
View attachment 74775
Wow. Just wow.
Glad no one got hurt.

dfk140

Reaction score
View attachment 74772
View attachment 74774
View attachment 74775
great real world evidence, not just a theory. thanks!

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Glad you weren't hurt, and that car definitely took the worst of it. But it doesn't really have anything to do with the OP's question because while your work truck has a hitch mount, the hitch (ball) isn't present. The question, at least as I understood it, what whether you'd be better off it it was present or not. It's not present in your pics.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Guess I misunderstood him too. I thought he was talking about the receiver hitch.

I didn't think he meant the ball mount.

Oh well.

I remove my ball mount after each use. Hate worrying about my kids running into it or my shin finding it

The receiver hitch definitely adds extra rear protection.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
great real world evidence, not just a theory. thanks!

That car hit straight on. I suspect there would be frame damage much sooner if he clipped it on a 90 or 45 degree (so the force then skidding the rear tires to the right or the left, pivoting on the front axle).

I pull mine out because it rattles while it's in. It's also a really good way of ruining your leg when you're not looking or in a hurry. Just not worth it. (I believe it's also illegal to leave it in where I live though rarely enforced)

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was sitting at an off ramp in Texas many years ago in a Dodge 1500 with my hitch and ball attached. An uninsured driver exited the interstate while simultaneously searching his floorboard for a CD he wanted to listen to. He hit my truck running 45-50 mph without ever braking. The impact threw my truck 5 ft into the car stopped in front of me. Hitch and ball went into his engine block. My truck suffered a dime size dent low on the underside of the rear bumper. No frame damage. Good thing since he was uninsured.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A receiver is reinforcing structure that can be protective. An installed ball mount (hitch) focuses crash/impact energy; whether that’s better or worse depends on your definition of better.

personally, it seems selfish to drive around with your ball sticking out....

RSConsulting

Reaction score
A receiver is reinforcing structure that can be protective. An installed ball mount (hitch) focuses crash/impact energy; whether that’s better or worse depends on your definition of better.

personally, it seems selfish to drive around with your ball sticking out....

"Selfish" - eh?

I run a Weathertech Wide Hitch Step on my receiver. Aside from protecting against "love taps" (by me, or TO ME) - it helps me get into the bed.

I't not steel - so it will shatter on a hard impact - and likely before transferring much energy into the frame. It's saved me some dings. I HAVE HAD hitches save me SIGNIFICANT COSMETIC DAMAGE - in low speed impacts (idiots not pressing on the brake and slow-rolling into me at a red light). I can't speak to catastrophic impacts personally, because I haven't been in one where this came into play.

Many states (not all) have passed "knee knocker laws" (usually nanny dem states) as a source of revenue. They come about, because some hapless azzhat wasn't paying attention and slammed into a drawbar on a parked car/truck (probably the idiot that drafted the legislation).

Your state may have one - my red-neck-*** state does not. Cop has to be having a pretty boring day to write you for it (or needs to meet his quota) - or uses it as PROBABLE CAUSE for a traffic stop (usually followed by the old "I detect the odor of marijuana in your vehicle sir - would you mind stepping out please" - LOL). No, I am not anti-cop (or anti-weed for that matter) - just anti- dumbass laws.

I drag a 25' Enclosed Toy Trailer - with a huge WD Hitch - so I leave mine OFF so I don't have to listen to it rattling around when not hitched - and put my Hitch Step on...

Rick

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wife's CX-5 has been rear ended three times. :mad:

Every time there was a tow hitch present. Every time it appeared to stop what would have been more damage to the rear/hatch area. One time it definitely pierced the other car's radiator.

So I would say it is good protection as the frame has never had an issue. However it definitely does more damage to the other vehicle.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Considering JEEP used a receiver hitch for the liberty gas tank recall to protect the fuel tank...i believe the receiver hitch will help with a rear end accident.

I was about to mention this, our old Jeep Grand Cherokee got a fresh new factory 2" receiver from our Chrysler for the fuel tank recall.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
That ball hitch might be rusted solid being stuck in there the past two years.... 😃

Users who are viewing this thread