5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow Capacity Confusion

allenmj

Reaction score
Howdy Y'all

So, I've read through the main posts here on the forum about what the "real" math behind towing is, and I'm even more confused now than I was before.

My truck specs are below, and according to the Dealer, The website, and every thing else I can research my Bighorn's towing capacity should be sitting at just north of 11,000lbs. However, the door sticker says 7100lbs.

The Trailer I'm looking at is the No Boundries 19.8 - a spicy little 22' https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/no-boundaries/NB19.8/4680 that should come in at around 5k when loaded up with water, batteries, propane and misc gear. (It's 3700ish dry)

Did I just waste a bunch of money by not getting a 2500, since my goal is in the next couple years is to retire and travel around the country in that little trailer. Is everything I thought I knew about towing wrong, and my "supposedly" beefy Hemi E-Torque with 3.92 gears and max towing package just a smoke screen?

Help!?

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are just fine. The tow rating of your truck isn’t listed on the door jamb sticker. 7,100lbs is the GVWR of your truck. That is the max weight the truck itself is rated to handle including the curb weight and any weight you add to it.

that trailer will be no problem at all for your truck. Enjoy

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Howdy Y'all

So, I've read through the main posts here on the forum about what the "real" math behind towing is, and I'm even more confused now than I was before.

My truck specs are below, and according to the Dealer, The website, and every thing else I can research my Bighorn's towing capacity should be sitting at just north of 11,000lbs. However, the door sticker says 7100lbs.

The Trailer I'm looking at is the No Boundries 19.8 - a spicy little 22' https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/no-boundaries/NB19.8/4680 that should come in at around 5k when loaded up with water, batteries, propane and misc gear. (It's 3700ish dry)

Did I just waste a bunch of money by not getting a 2500, since my goal is in the next couple years is to retire and travel around the country in that little trailer. Is everything I thought I knew about towing wrong, and my "supposedly" beefy Hemi E-Torque with 3.92 gears and max towing package just a smoke screen?

Help!?
this is your tow rating per the ram web site

Last edited:

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ll have to double check what GCWR is again but if you take your 7100 GVWR and subtract your payload capacity you’ll get your trucks weight.

You can then take the weight of the truck and any cargo (don’t forget a good hitch is heavy) and subtract that from your GCWR and you’ll get the max towing capacity of your truck. I forget the GCWR, so I’ll have to look it up. Typically a half ton will run out of payload way before towing capacity, unless your running no cargo or passengers.

Alright so take 7100 and minus your payload, you’ll get your trucks weight. Subtract that and any cargo you plan to carry from 17000 and you’ll get your max trailer capacity. Figure 125lbs for the hitch to be safe.

Attachments

• 059E4D58-5896-499E-8600-FC5644F8DA11.png
    059E4D58-5896-499E-8600-FC5644F8DA11.png
    260.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Mudstone

Reaction score
Hi, my 4 cents (inflation you know), we have a Kodiac Cub at 3300 lbs dry. Loaded, 2 propane tanks, Husky WDH, bikes in trailer, bed loaded with wood chairs extra gear, cab with adults, gear etc...
Never felt I was even close to capacity, as stated above, need a good WDH. I have mine riding pretty level. Image is initial hitch install, I had to crank it one more level due to bed weight! Good Luck, nice trailer your looking at!

Attachments

• Trailer.jpg
    Trailer.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 19

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are just fine. The tow rating of your truck isn’t listed on the door jamb sticker. 7,100lbs is the GVWR of your truck. That is the max weight the truck itself is rated to handle including the curb weight and any weight you add to it.

that trailer will be no problem at all for your truck. Enjoy
This is the answer.

I never hesitate to tow anything less than 6k pounds even without a WDH. If it's just you traveling you shouldn't even come close to your payload limit if you're loading the trailer properly.

badpewterz

Reaction score
as stated above the 7100 is curb weight plus your PAYLOAD ( people, gear, gas, tounge weight)
you can punch your vin into the ram website for tow capacity and stay at or under about 80% of that and your golden

with any camper i always suggest a good WDH as they are giant sails lol

we pull a 4500lb wildwood with ease. honestly feels like not even there 98% of the time

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
GVWR. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.

That is the 7100 lbs on your door tag. Maximum weight your truck should weigh.

GCWR. Gross Combined Weight Rating

Maximum combination of trailer truck and cargo.

3.21 is 13900
3.92 is 17000.

Pay no attention to towing ratings. They are useless once you own the truck.

Simple math.

Your truck will have GVWR and payload on the door jamb. I gave you GCWR, it is found in a chart.

GVWR minus Payload is base weight.

GCWR minus base weight is max towing.

You then subtract hitch and driver. Then need to be sure you have room for passengers with the leftover being your available tongue weight.

There is no need for a buffer to these numbers.

Not sure why people still think you need to stay 80% or less of the number and others say it is ok to go past them.

Do the math. Facts. Not opinions.

If you need help understanding the math...share a pic of your door jamb stickers and I will assist.

Base weight is the truck as delivered from the factory. No passenger cargo...full tank of fuel.

As soon as you add an option or even a soda or coffee...this number goes up and payload goes down.

Users who are viewing this thread